Set-up and tuning of the Bing 54 carb

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Set-up and tuning of the Bing 54 carb

Postby Duck Rogers » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:23 pm

I've heard so much bullS#$*t about carburetter tuning lately that it's prompted me to post a short tutorial on the subject.
Please note this is not exhaustive and covers just the basics:

The fuel delivery system on the Bing carb as used on our Rotaxes are basically divided into 3 mixture control circuits:
1) Idle circuit
2) Midrange circuit
3) Full throttle circuit
The idle circuit does just that. Controls the idling part. This ranges from 2000 rpm to just over 3000 rpm or so.
The midrange circuit has influence over the range from about 3000 rpm to 6000 rpm and
Full throttle range is over 6000 rpm

Now, which jets and hardware bits controls what? Not too difficult....here goes:
1) The idler jet controls the air mixture of the idling circuit. (That's the small jet on the side of the carb next to the BIG hex nut.
2) The jet needle (that's the dangly bit hanging out of the bottom of the slide) and the needle jet controls the midrange and
3) The main jet controls the full throttle setting.

Simple so far.

To set the fuel/air mixture on the idle circuit, I try to set the slides the same height with the hex nut screws to about 2200 - 2300 rpm and then slowly turn the idler jets out (anti-clockwise) This in effect leans the mixture by increasing the air intake (don't worry, you're NOT gonna burn a hole in the piston or seize the engine) By leaning the mixture it normally increases the rpm slightly and smooths the idling out. If you turn it out too far, the idling will get rough again. Turn it back (clockwise) about a ¼ - ½ turn. The idling mixture should be set correctly now. If you find you're turning the idling jet out and out and out and nothing is happening, then you could try a smaller (leaner) size idler jet. The Bing normally ship with a size .55 jet for the 582. You can replace this with a .50 or a .45 and start the procedure over again.
Once you've set the idling circuit, you can move onto the midrange.

If you find that whilst flying, your EGT's are too high or too low IN THE MID-RANGE (3000 - 6000 rpm) then you can try and change the clip at the top of the needle jet. It has 3 positions. The clip in the HIGHEST groove will give you HIGH EGT reading. In the LOWEST groove will give LOW EGT reading. Why? Because by moving the clip to the highest groove you're actually lowering the needle into the jet and restricting fuel flow thereby leaning the mixture and in the lowest groove you're raising the needle more out of the jet thereby enriching it a bit which gives a little lower EGT. You'll probably find that each clip position can change the EGT reading by about 10 - 15ºC (50 - 70ºF)
If this still doesn't give you satisfactory results, you can change the needle to another one with a different taper. I'll give an explanation at the end of this short tutorial as to what the numbers, that are stamped on the needles, mean.

Full throttle mixture is controlled mainly by the main jet. The jet needle clip settings have virtually no effect on this as by now, the slides are pulled up so far, that the needles are just about out of the jets and it makes no difference whether the clips are in the top, middle or bottom groove. Bigger main jets enrichen the mixture and you'll get a bit of lower EGT's. Smaller main jets leans the mixture with the resultant higher EGT's.
NOTE: Density altitude plays a role here. I'm not gonna elaborate. Suffice to say that at the coast the normal main jet size for a 582 is 165 and at altitude we use 158. I personally use 160's here at altitude.

I hope this will benefit someone who has perhaps been struggling with the settings of the carbs.

So what do those numbers mean that are stamped on the needles?
Rotax 582 DCDI, Bing 54 normally has 11G2 stamped on the needle. A higher NUMBER (higher than 11) gives a RICHER mixture in the mid-range ABOVE half throttle.
A higher LETTER (higher than G) gives a RICHER mixture in the mid-range BELOW half throttle
And the number 2, I hear you ask? I don't know.....never bothered to find out and I don't think it's relevant. Anyone know?

PLEASE NOTE: The above is as I understand the settings and mixture controls of the Bing 54 carb and as I have said, this is by no means exhaustive as there are other factors such as density altitude and prop loading that also have an effect on the EGT readings. This is merely a simplified explanation of the workings of the carb and how to do a simple tuning thereof.
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:53 am

Hi Duck !

Interesting and useful post, THANKS !

Will save it as a reference....

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Leprachaun » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:49 am

Jis ou duckie wat gaan aan ??
Raak jy nou verveeld ?
I hav a CPS DVD on carbs fuelpumps etc , and if youre nice to me on the gearboxes as well as 503and 582 engines - it gives it all
Leprachaun
Ps I have som used cranks if you wanna replace yours , the manual says replace a crank at 300 hours ?????
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:23 am

Lep die ou eend raak nou siniel ek dink hy is amper reg virrie pot :twisted: sal maar saterdag moet sien wat maak die ou man :lol:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
alfredalfred
Slow starter

Re: Set-up and tuning of the Bing 54 carb

Postby alfredalfred » Fri May 13, 2016 9:08 am

This is merely a simplified explanation of the workings of the carb and how to do a simple tuning thereof????
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Leprachaun » Fri May 13, 2016 11:14 am

The short and sweet to tune the carbs --use your right hand , if youre lefthanded you could probably use it , the rusult should be the same , step two now that you have decided which hand is convenient use the two middle fingeger , point them downwards and in a swift movement aproach the carbs and tune the hoawsit!!!carbs
do same with left hand for the left handers , works every time for me (^^) (^^)
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Fri May 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Many thanks Duck!

Here is what I did to print out and take with to the airfield, so happy to share with you!
Set-up and tuning of the Bing 54 carburator.pdf
(62.16 KiB) Downloaded 3668 times
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Tue May 17, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks John !!!!
I'm humbled AND glad someone found a use for it
coline
First solo

Postby coline » Wed May 18, 2016 10:12 am

You got the simple guide for twin weber DCOE 45s now please Duck?
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Sorry Coline.......no I don't
Gerrit.Tromp84
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby Gerrit.Tromp84 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Hello Guys
After a very interesting landing this weekend i have learned that no matter how thoroughly you set up your carbs and matching correct size jest and air fuel Mixture. None of that works if your float arm is not set correctly!
Just an very important add to Ducky's Post!
Your float level must measure 12.5mm from float bawl rim to fuel with your floats out AFTER!!!!!!! you have run your engine at Full RPM +- 6100 pedal to the metal!! for no shorter than 30 Second and without the electric fuel pump on immediate cut the motor keeping your foot down on the pedal !

I will recommend all pilots to do this test and set your carb float level to 12.5mm
GTFlycom
Info@gtflycom.co.za

Let's wake up every day to a perfect day of microlighting!
ME 109
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby ME 109 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:24 am

Very useful info! I wish to overhaul my Bing 54's, where can I obtain overhaul kits for these?
Andries Kruger
ZU-CSZ Aquilla 582 (Bumble bee)
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:44 am

ME 109 wrote:Very useful info! I wish to overhaul my Bing 54's, where can I obtain overhaul kits for these?
Comet Aviation +27 (11) 8245686
http://www.cometaviationsupplies.co.za/
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Le Pou
First solo

Postby Le Pou » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi Gerrit,
Re your message below, what happened to make your landing "interesting" and what measurement did you get when you checked the floats?

Post by Gerrit.Tromp84 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Hello Guys
After a very interesting landing this weekend i have learned that no matter how thoroughly you set up your carbs and matching correct size jest and air fuel Mixture. None of that works if your float arm is not set correctly!
Just an very important add to Ducky's Post!
Your float level must measure 12.5mm from float bawl rim to fuel with your floats out AFTER!!!!!!! you have run your engine at Full RPM +- 6100 pedal to the metal!! for no shorter than 30 Second and without the electric fuel pump on immediate cut the motor keeping your foot down on the pedal !

I will recommend all pilots to do this test and set your carb float level to 12.5mm
gavinwolff
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby gavinwolff » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 am

Hi all,

Hoping someone can assist.
I have pull start only on my 582
It runs like a dream, once started......
The problem is the initial start.
It almost seems that I am not able to get any choke, as I have to pull that start handle about 40 times till the engine finally starts to show some life.
Once running it is a smooth as can be and subsequent starts are a half a pull on the cord.

Any suggestions please?