Thrust Test 503

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Thrust Test 503

Postby ZS-NEL » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:57 am

Is there any guys out there with a 503 single ignition who can do the following test to which i can compare.

Find a solid pole or beam (corner off hanger) and put your normal bathroom scale (the one your sofness is using to constantly monitor if she can still flies with you) upright against it. Now, push against the scale with the front wheel at full revs and take the highest reading from the scale.
Make sure there's enougth ventilation in front of the trike.

Will be interesting to know what Kg you get?
Tower
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Tower » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:51 am

I prefer the traditional method, find the biggest guy you can and see how long he can hang on to the prop!

3 Seconds for a 113kg beast so far!
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:13 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Gees Tower I hope nobody takes you serously :shock: :wink:
Greg Perkins
Dre'man
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Dre'man » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:23 pm

I can see where this thread is headed :twisted:

How many cars can a 503 drag :idea: :?: :?: :?:
Flying below power lines on DS650X
And above in nothing
"Too much power is just enough"
Wagtail
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Wagtail » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Good morning all,

We perform static run tests every time we service an engine and here are some interesting values:

Please, just don't even think of the old comments about not relevant because of cavitation....prop eff is not good at static...and so on. We do this to load the engine and compare THE SAME systems over time.

503, typical 2 blade wood prop : 96 - 105 kg
582, 2-blade wood : 150 - 167 kg
Jabiru 4-cylinder, 2-blade wood : 96 - 116 kg

Rotax 914, 3-blade comp ( DUC and Arplast are so close ) 215 - 225 kg

Trust me, you learn a lot by measuring thrust before and after. By just balancing a prop Dynamically to below 0.1 IPS gives about 5 kg more thrust within about 10 - 20 minutes..

Regards
Wagtail
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:29 am

Hey Tower....this "113Kg beast", do I make him hang on the prop before starting or does he grab it at 6000RPM. :lol:

Wagtail, the first test I’ve got 85Kg, then a few days later after fitting a new air filter and main jets (150's) could only get 55Kg. Now where do I start? (Got a 2blade Geo Kelly) Does someone perhaps have another spare prop that I can borrow to test? If it lifts me I'll buy it!

Made 2 failed take-off attempts on Friday :oops: (one up, zero wind, QNH 1021)
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:36 am

Hi Wagtail,

where are you located? I would be interested to have my prop balanced. What does the procedure involve?

Regards,
Arnulf
iandd
Signed up at flight school

Postby iandd » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:14 pm

Hey Wagtail,

How does the weight equate to the horse power?

Thanks
Iandd
Wagtail

Postby Wagtail » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:38 pm

Good morning,

While I am in the country and the e-mail is working, I will answer a few questions.

We are located between Sasolburg and Parys on a Private airfield. Coordinates : S 26 53.585 E 027 41.337
Gravel strip of 1400 meters CAUTION there is a "road" crossing the runway and from time to time the fence is pulled up to allow the cattle to pass. Please do a proper low level pass to inspect. The fence is at the 700 meter mark and the road is very clear.

Next, relationship between Hp and thrust. This is a potential can of worms. There is a basic formula calculating kg thrust in relation to Hp, blade diameter, rotational speed, air density and a few constants. The relationship between Static thrust and Hp is even more difficult because of the effect of the Prop constants. Bottom line, the pitch of a prop has a significant effect on Static thrust and remember we are not flying on Static thrust, so a lot of people have negative comments about the value of performing static thrust comparisons.

Dynamic Balancing of a typical 2-blade prop can be performed for R 400 and it can take anything from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Prior planning is required to make sure Strobe and the optical equipment is available

Regards
Wagtail

Regards
Wagtail