It happened to me – engine out!

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Engine out

Postby John Young » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:23 am

Tjoek wrote:I found the cause for my engine out, namely rubber pieces from one of the two hoses that connect the tank pick-up and the electric fuel pump. There was a big piece stuck in the t-piece before the pump, as well as a few loose pieces in the hose.
Thanks Tjoek – it was so obviously fuel starvation – but where / how?? :?:

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Regards
John ZU-CIB
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Leprachaun » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:12 pm

The only tubing I use is the blue plastic type with a red stripe on it - as per Solowings - When the red stripe discolours it time to change - it also starts going hard - I buy this stuff from a place in Elandsfontein , south of JHB international - I buy 100foot / 30 meter rolls , - I dont have a price now , shared my last roll with Glenn at Microflight aviation - Anybody want some give me a call , will get - this stuff works , no pieces falling off etc
Fly safely Leprachaun
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
Tjoek
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Engine out

Postby Tjoek » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:32 pm

Guys, I need further advice.

After the engine out as result from fuel starvation, I replaced the failed fuel lines, and cleaned all from tank to carbs. Now my engine runs rough up to about 3500 rpm. I do however get my usual ground 6200 rpm, and at power the engine runs smooth.

I have not flown the plane after the engine out, and first want to sort out this rough running before I fly again.
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:11 am

Clean the carbs and all the jets. Possibly rubbish that got in there during your search for the previous fault.
If you had dismantled the carbs during your search, did you re-assemble them correctly? Especially check whether you have the white plastic spring retainer cup ON TOP of the needle and clip.
Running rough up to about 3000 -3500 rpm suggests the fault is in the idler circuit of the carb.
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Tjoek
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Engine out

Postby Tjoek » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:08 pm

Duck for president!!! I am sure that I have the needle clip in top of the spring container! Will confirm on Saterday, and confirm.

Thanks a lot for the pointer!
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Engine out

Postby John Young » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:13 pm

Tjoek wrote:Duck for president!!!
What a quack-up that would be !! :!:

Regards
John ZU-CIB
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:00 pm

What a quack-up that would be !!
Better than the F....-up we have now :shock:
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
phislett1
Ready for the first flight

Re: It happened to me – engine out!

Postby phislett1 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Did this issue get sorted?? There is no feedback as to how this situation was fixed completely..
johnythelaw
First solo

Postby johnythelaw » Fri May 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi All

My son bought a challenger with 503 engine and i have a Aviatica with 582 engine.
We mix fuel on the ground as i and a lot of guys do not trust this automatic mixing.
We replaced both aircraft's fuel lines with the merc filters as suggested by the old gurus.
Had a nice flight with the chally and then suddenly the 503 lost all power just after takeoff and about 5 min flight
but still climbing at high power - engine did not completely died but kept idling but no power so we did a forced lob in the Swakop river
without any damage.
Not long after that as i turned out after takeoff with the aviatica exactly the same happened and did a 180 and landed next to the runway - no damage.
Now - after each landing started the engine without any problem and getting full power ? What the F was going on.
We checked pumps , filters , plugs everything and all was 100 %.But did not try my luck for a third engine out.
Eventually i roped the aircraft to a pole concreted in the ground and opened the throttle .
What we found was - there is enough fuel in the carb for taxi , run up and takeoff but then the carb run low on fuel hence only a trickle of fuel
into the engine that is why it keep idling but no power.( by the way even with the electric pump on in the challenger)
Fuel lines we replaced is the see through silicone aircraft quality and when the engine really sucks fuel as at full power small bubbles entered the
fuel supply line at some clamps as at the filter and then near the carburetor a bigger air bubble build up until no or little fuel get through.
We used this standard clamps from Midas which was the problem.
Replaced all the clamps from the tank to the carb with a high quality clamp ( can not remember the name ) and problem solved.
No air entering the fuel system and we flew approx 50plus hours on each aircraft after this happened.
I do not say this is your problem but be aware of cheap clamps and no harm in roping the aircraft and let it run full power for long enough while
checking the fuel lines for air entering the system

Groete uit die woestyn
Johan de Wet
Swakopmund
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Fri May 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Bly om te hoor julle het nie skade gekry nie.Ons gebruik Wurth clamps,dit het so lippie om te keer dat die kant nie die pyp sny nie...
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE