Gemini 2 stroke diesel

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
The Buzz
Found a flight school

Gemini 2 stroke diesel

Postby The Buzz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:42 am

Hi Chaps,

Does anybody have info on the availability of the Gemini 100 and 125 hp 2 stroke, 6 (yes) piston, 3(yes) cylinder - diesel aero engine? Superior stocks this engine. Used for the Carbon Cub.
I would like to use it in my Long EZ (under construction) Pusher application.
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Gemini 2 stroke diesel

Postby Madman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:48 am

Wow,

This really looks awesome, I would be keen to find out what the performance is like ##

Gemini
The Gemini Diesel is a small horizontally-opposed engine meant as a replacement for the conventional 360 cubic-inch avgas powerplants so prolifically common on the skies. Borrowing design from the historic Jumo 205, the Gemini is a six-cylinder, 12-piston, two-stroke, supercharged or turbocharged engine. These small engines produce between 100 and 125 horsepower, perfect for the light sport aircraft (LSA) community. For those unfamiliar with an engine that has more pistons than cylinders — the Gemini employs two crankshafts on the outer extremes and drive pistons towards each other in the sleeves.
The covering and uncovering of the ports in the sleeves allows for the intake and exhaust of gases. Forced induction has been an optional standard feature on Avgas engines for as long as we have wanted to climb to high altitudes. As the air thins out it needs to be compressed to maintain performance. Forced induction on a two-stroke diesel is not a performance enhancer, it is a necessity. Compression-ignition engines rely on cylinder pressure to ignite diesel fuel, in a two-stroke the compression stroke is joined with the exhaust stroke for considerable overlap.
Attachments
Gemini1.jpg
Gemini2.jpg
Gemini3.jpg
Gemini4.jpg
GEMINI-1 (550 x 426).jpg
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Old technology.

Was used on ships many years ago. Thousands of shaft hp. The injectors would only squirt diesel in every forth compression stroke because a large amount of diesel would be left unburnt. The next three strokes would eventually do the job. Very interesting
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
freddievanrooyen@yahoo.com
The Buzz
Found a flight school

Postby The Buzz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks for the info and pics.

Leonardo da Vinci said " simplicity is the ultimate sophistication", with 30 % less parts and the ability to burn A1, diesel, sunflower oil, paraffin, it opens the African skies for a touring LSA like the long EZ.

I have attempted contacting Gemini directly, no luck so far.
The 125 Hp is supercharged and turbo charged so -No mixture adjustment, engine runs at 4000 Rpm in the sweet spot/power-band and geared to ideal prop speed via a hub - not directly connected to the crank, also no carb icing worries, its water-cooled so easy cabin heat, no temperature shock, no worries about EGT and Cylinder head temperature.
Runs on the sniff of an oily rag - 56 Gallons of fuel in a Long EZ = a sore ass
Ill post more as I come across info....
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 pm

It sounds too good to be true.......... :roll:
+