Icon Ic-A5 Charging

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
ClearlyAfrica1
Signed up at flight school

Icon Ic-A5 Charging

Postby ClearlyAfrica1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:44 am

Hi all,

I have an Icon Ic-A5 radio (used in my Raptor trike). On pre-departure from the hangar for a flight the other day, although the radio came on initially, it 'died' before I could get to the runway. It was plugged into the plane's "charging wire" but obviously the radio-battery (BP200L) was way too flat...lucky we had a spare radio, swapped and went flying :))

Brought the radio home and plugged it into the wall charger, the manual says 15 hours.

Now, my question relates to simultaneous operation and charging of the radio (transceiver):I read the manual when I came home and it specifically states that the radio must be OFF when charging. Which led me to ask why is this radio then plugged into the plane (and simultaneously being operated) when in flight? It's always been like this since I bought the plane and never sought / had reason to question the status quo until now.
It's been on charge for about 8 hours now (with the BC110A wall charger) and although it now switches on (after I've unplugged it) it will not stay on and quickly dies (after the battery-low indicator flashes on the LCD screen). The battery is new although the radio has not been used for about 6 months so it will have drained properly over time. Manual says charging time is 15 hrs from flat.

Can I charge and operate in the trike at the same time? MOST info on the net says NO. The manual is slightly contradictory.
I'm hoping the charging port on the side of the radio is not damaged, it seems to be "iffy" when I plug it in fully. This could be because I've knocked it once or twice getting in and out of the trike carelessly.

Any comments appreciated.

S
ClearlyAfrica1
Signed up at flight school

Re: Icon Ic-A5 Charging

Postby ClearlyAfrica1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:54 am

Sorry, that should be iCom!