Aquilla 582 Cold start problems

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Aquilla 582 Cold start problems

Postby Wingover1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:33 am

Please some explaining advice needed. My Aquilla when it's cold 0 to -5 deg cellcius, developed a new symptom. If I turn the starter then it runs freely without "kicking in" it's like a bendix not kicking in but according to a starter repair shop in Brits he says that it does not work with a bendix but with clutch plates??? Then can my oil be to thick with the cold? If that is the case what oil should I use in my gearbox? (**)
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby
Martinvt
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Re: Aquilla 582 Cold start problems

Postby Martinvt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi Wingover,

I found that the oil is to thick.

Alex Rudd advised me to use BOT 402 castrol oil and it solved my problem last winter and this winter.

Hope this helps
Martin van Tonder
Limpopo Flight School

Aerotrike Safari
ZU-CIE
Bromparra
Found a flight school

Postby Bromparra » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:07 pm

That seems to be a common issue with 582s in winter. And yes, the starter does not have a bendix. The engine has a sprag clutch and that is whats slipping from the cold. I tried various methods but in the end I just turned the prop over a few times by hand before starting and then starting by using the pullstart. Once warmed up the engine will start normally with a key. Do not have this problem in summer.
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:10 am

Thanx guys for the info. I will do an oil change and let you know :wink:
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:01 am

Bromparra wrote:That seems to be a common issue with 582s in winter. And yes, the starter does not have a bendix. The engine has a sprag clutch and that is whats slipping from the cold. I tried various methods but in the end I just turned the prop over a few times by hand before starting and then starting by using the pullstart. Once warmed up the engine will start normally with a key. Do not have this problem in summer.
We have the same issues on our 582 in winter and do the same as you... :wink:

Once warm it starts no prob.
Never an issue in the summertime. :)
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:12 am

Hi Francois, when the sprag clutch gets older, 400hrs, due to wear of the components, and thicker oil in winter, it does not "grab" the outer race as hard as it should and therefore slips. You can replace the outer race (outer R4000. inner R4000), or just give the prop a manual spin before cranking it with the starter motor. I do that in winter. Also, try to do your gearbox oil change in summer. With new oil and lower temperatures, it tends to happen more often.
gearbox.jpg
Parts 17 & 18.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi Paul
Thanx for the info. Funny enough in my case this happens only when it's cold and my oil should be thick. When it's warm then she starts with no problems. The morning on my way to Nylstroom she didn't even wanted to start with the pull start. I must have pulled at least 50 times and my assistant another 50 times she did not start and with the electric start still not kicking in. Well I got Castrol Bot 402 that I am going to put in and see if she will start then (**)
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby