ROTAX K&N AIR FILTERS

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

ROTAX K&N AIR FILTERS

Postby Boet » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:35 pm

On a recent visit to a busy little sportplane airport, I paid some special attention to how some pilots (MIS) treat the air filters on various aircraft. One oke was just putting his brand new overhauled 582 back into his pride and joy. I asked why the overhaul? "Crankshaft went" , he said. The aircleaners was beeautifully clean, but not oiled. "Oh but when I oil them, they get very dirty quickly".Another aerie same statement. And on and on. Obviously these people does not understand the purpose of an AIR CLEANER. It does what the name implies, and if treated correctly, it CLEANS the air that is half the stuff needed to make your engine go longer. The price of a 582 cranckshaft assy wil make your eyes water and cause severe distress to you bank account, so why not follow the steps put out below? I explain better with pictures!
To clean the filters properly, spray them with degreaser, (Your wife`s Sunlight dishwasher also does a star job!!), and rinse with lukewarm water, NOT boiling hot water1 ( BOILING water will harden the plastic part of the filter!! NOT GOOD) Shake dry and leave in the sun and wind to dry completely. back to the pictures......
Attachments
IMG_3761 (Custom).JPG
This is the carburettos end of your 582. The black thingy inside that moves when you move the prop, is the one big-end bearing. If you do not treat your aircleanes correctly,
IMG_4343 (Custom).JPG
this is what happens. All the dust and small particles not filtered out of the air will arrive here on the inside of the engine. Njam, a nice fast spinning verryverry expensive piece
IMG_4343 (Custom).JPG (60.97 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
IMG_4347 (Custom).JPG
of Rotax clockwork. This is the aftermath of improper air cleaner maintenance. The owner of this aircraft landed himself in hospital for eight months. We had a friendly chat about air cleaners, but at least he was wery glas for the lecture. He honestly did not know, "and poured some two stroke oil over them every now and then".
IMG_4347 (Custom).JPG (60 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
IMG_4341 (Custom).JPG
This is the rest of the oil less neclected air cleaner saga......pieces of big end bearing scrapnell dit this to the piston and cyl head.
IMG_4341 (Custom).JPG (51.13 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
IMG_4467 (Custom).JPG
This is what a good set of well knackered air cleaners looks like. It is so full of HOLES,
IMG_4468 (Custom).JPG
it will not even stop dust, let alone small stones!!
IMG_4470 (Custom).JPG
So time to toss them into file no 13, and order new ones. And time to buy a Rotax "Air filter service kit" consisting of two parts, Degraser, and an Aerosol tin of Filter Oil.
IMG_4484 (Custom).JPG
New filters arrived, does not come completely oiled. So you have to oil it properly. The one that is darker red, has been oiled......
IMG_4472 (Custom).JPG
And this is how you do it. Begin at the aly "joint", and spray each individual pleat properly, in the troughs too!!
IMG_4486 (Custom).JPG
And this is your new best friend, K&N Filter Oil. And no, I do not sell the stuff, I look after aeroplanes! On the long run, a bit of timeous air cleaner oil and maintenance is a LOT cheaper than a new crankshaft. And the same is applicable to Rotax 912 series engines too. Saw a 914 engine with no folter oil on air cleaner.....oooouuuuccch!
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: ROTAX K&N AIR FILTERS

Postby Bundy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:28 am

Thanks Boet!

I bought a K&N Airfilter cleaning kit from a local agent....has a special spray on de greaser used to clean and then the oil after rinsing and drying exactly as you describe here.

I clean my filters every 25 hrs....Paid about R250 for the kit....have cleaned my filters 3 times now and I still have about a 3rd left in the cans.

I also replace the filters every 300 hrs as per Maintenance schedule (Pricey buggers...but 300 hrs is a lot of flying for a weekend warrior like me :wink: )

Thanks for sharing! (^^)
RV12
Survived second engine out

Postby RV12 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:09 am

Bundy wrote:Thanks Boet!

I bought a K&N Airfilter cleaning kit from a local agent....has a special spray on de greaser used to clean and then the oil after rinsing and drying exactly as you describe here.

I clean my filters every 25 hrs....Paid about R250 for the kit....have cleaned my filters 3 times now and I still have about a 3rd left in the cans.

I also replace the filters every 300 hrs as per Maintenance schedule (Pricey buggers...but 300 hrs is a lot of flying for a weekend warrior like me :wink: )

Thanks for sharing! (^^)
Where did you buy the kit Bundy ?
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:49 am

Hi RV... I got mine from a chap trading off his plot in Uitsig A.H. (Pretoria)..... but to my knowledge his business does not exist anymore?

Try the following listed agents?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/dealersearch.aspx

Otherwise you can order it from virtually any Bike shop?
RV12

Postby RV12 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:17 am

Bundy wrote:Hi RV... I got mine from a chap trading off his plot in Uitsig A.H. (Pretoria)..... but to my knowledge his business does not exist anymore?

Try the following listed agents?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/dealersearch.aspx

Otherwise you can order it from virtually any Bike shop?
Thanks.
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:03 am

Most auto part stores will have the kit. I had to call around because Midas and a couple of the other big suppliers did not have,
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP