GT450 - comments please

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
rcbgreen
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

GT450 - comments please

Postby rcbgreen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:49 pm

One year and 100 hrs flying after getting my Trike NPL license I am thinking of changing my 'Wings'. I did my training on a Raptor and so bought a 582 Raptor on which I have clocked the 100 hours on. Much though I have a soft spot for the Raptor as it is a strong solid trike perfect for a student, I find it heavy to control and slow (50 mph cruise to 60mph if I hold the bar in). I do keep on wondering if I should upgrade to GT450 (Tanarg is a bit too rare and expensive to consider) but I keep on being told things like.
"Rather save you money and get a fixed wing"
"GT450 is took sensitive and difficult to fly, almost all have crashed..."
"It flies just like a fixed wing, no cruising around the cabbage patch like your Raptor"
These and other comments have always been made by people who have not owned/flown a GT450. I really like the concept of being able to cruise at 85 mph and actually get to places I stay away from now. I agree that 50 mph is not too bad until you hit a 20 mph headwind and end up with 30 mph ground speed.

Could a few people who own or have owned a GT450 give me some feedback on what they are like to fly and things I should consider?
Rob Green
ZU-DMB Raptor
ZU-BWT Aquilla
ZU-TLV RV12
Nacho
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Re: GT450 - comments please

Postby Nacho » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:21 pm

It is in a class of its own, you won't make a mistake. Also all depends on your long term vision when it comes to flying. And only you know the answer to that question.

1. What would you ultimately like to do with the aircraft? True long distances or a toy with the option to go far in as lil time as possible... I know guys who has done some amazing distances in the slower Raptor.
2. Your budget. With the R vs pound, importing a new GT is expensive business. But if you can...why the hell not!
3. GT is stable, fun, fast and just won a few awards in Dubai with the air-show there. https://youtu.be/OqPqSMSduAw

The guys bad mouthing the GT most probably have a green glow when they do so :-)

Personally, if I had the money, I would import the REVO. https://youtu.be/WYXc0sh_UU4 But that is just me :-)

Good luck, do your research properly and remember... Up there the view stays the same, regardless if you fly a 50MPH Raptor or a 100MPH R1m GT... (-)
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:09 am

Hi Rob

I also bought a Raptor once I got my MPL and did about 100 or so hours on it and then bought a GT450.

Let me tell you that it is an absolute pleasure to fly. The change onto it was a non-event. I believe that it is easier to fly.

I don't think there are many that have crashed in response to the post above. Lets not confuse the GT450 with the QuikR. They are very different aircraft with different handling characteristics. The GT is a much more forgiving aircraft than the R.

I am moving my GT to Panorama this weekend for a few months so give me a shout and I will take you for a flight and you can see for yourself.

Reilly
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:56 am

Thatchman wrote:Hi Rob

I also bought a Raptor once I got my MPL and did about 100 or so hours on it and then bought a GT450.

Let me tell you that it is an absolute pleasure to fly. The change onto it was a non-event. I believe that it is easier to fly.

I don't think there are many that have crashed in response to the post above. Lets not confuse the GT450 with the QuikR. They are very different aircraft with different handling characteristics. The GT is a much more forgiving aircraft than the R.

I am moving my GT to Panorama this weekend for a few months so give me a shout and I will take you for a flight and you can see for yourself.

Reilly

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:00 pm

I also jumped from a Aquilla to the GT450

All I can say is you will LOVE IT ## ## ##

check this out :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr-5ZQOMzHY
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:21 pm

When you get yours, please give it to me.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:01 pm

Probably sound biased but after also moving from a Raptor @ 120 hours, flying the GT was a non-event as far as adapting- besides the speed in the circuit, but even though once you're in the air its all the same, you get a whole lot further and quicker flying more economically so to me a more pleasurable experience.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Gaylord Focker
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Gaylord Focker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:45 pm

There is nothing quiet like it .

It's a beast , you be amazed at what you can do with them.

Just buy one man.
Wild Chicks,Cold beer,KY Jelly and Gt450 Nothing else required!!!!!!!!!
THE FORCE IS STRONG ON THE DARK SIDE
coline
First solo

Postby coline » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi Rob

Take Reilly up on his offer - he took me for my first flip in GT and I have drooled for one ever since!
Hopefully I realise my own GT next month.

Colin
Northener
Slow starter

Postby Northener » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:05 pm

They really are wonderful to fly and with the electric trim they are easy to land. Their higher cruise speed opens up new destinations in a days flight. They are also great fun to fly locally with an impressive climb rate and incredible handling. There are more options available now, such as the GTR Explorer with wide wheels and topless wing. This new wing doesn't need tip fins so feels much lighter in roll and cross wind landings. They do need a bit of length to land compared to an Aquila.

After I had paid my deposit a fellow flier told me how the wing would tear, the wheels are plastic etc etc. Scared the hell out of me as I had already committed to buy. In hindsight one of my favorites was "3 were imported into S.A., 2 of them were written off and the other is sitting in the back of a hangar in Balito. No one will fly it because they are too dangerous".
Needless to say I have never offered to take him for a flight because of the danger :lol: . I have been flying my GT450 since 2011. It is a lot of fun and it has ruined my desire to fly anything else. Best decision I have ever made.
rcbgreen
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby rcbgreen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys. You have helped me make up my mind. Actually asked if the last one for sale on the forum was still for sale but Colin beat me to it. Now that I have got my renewal sorted I will ask Reilly who is also at Pano if the offer still stands to take a flight with him.
Rob Green
ZU-DMB Raptor
ZU-BWT Aquilla
ZU-TLV RV12
coline
First solo

Postby coline » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:32 pm

After 10 hours on mine, I would be happy to take you up, but Reilly is your first choice!
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:40 am

rcbgreen wrote:Thanks for all the feedback guys. You have helped me make up my mind. Actually asked if the last one for sale on the forum was still for sale but Colin beat me to it. Now that I have got my renewal sorted I will ask Reilly who is also at Pano if the offer still stands to take a flight with him.
Of course. Give me a call and we will make a plan - 083 638 8056
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:58 am

Let's just say.... I've never heard a GT driver complain? ^

I cant afford one anyway but having flown in one with TC above...and watching the few that are based at FABA operate I see no reason why you shouldn't buy one if it suits your budget? (^^)

Fast...manoeverable, trimmable....reliable.....what more do you want in an aerie? (!!)

P&M manufacture the GT in the UK....one of the most regulated airspaces in the world.... and have a long and successful track record.
rcbgreen
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby rcbgreen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks Reilly for the flight this weekend and all the other contributors who helped me make up my mind. I will buy one if one comes onto the market for the right price.
Rob Green
ZU-DMB Raptor
ZU-BWT Aquilla
ZU-TLV RV12