Radio Interference from LED Landing lights

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Knysna Knight
Looking at the sky

Radio Interference from LED Landing lights

Postby Knysna Knight » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi Guys,

I recently installed 2x10W LED landing indicator lights onto my sons Aquila. Relays (under the engine mount) were used to isolate the power to these lights from the avionics and allied power requirements on the pod.

However, when either or both lights are switched on, the radio is rendered completely useless from the interference generated by these lights. It is as if one if flying directly over powerlines. (**)

Has anyone every experienced this problem, and if so, how did they overcome this issue?

Many thanks, Guys!

Knysna Knight
Knysna Knight
ZU-BWK
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Radio Interference from LED Landing lights

Postby nicow » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:55 am

Knysna Knight wrote:Hi Guys,

I recently installed 2x10W LED landing indicator lights onto my sons Aquila. Relays (under the engine mount) were used to isolate the power to these lights from the avionics and allied power requirements on the pod.

However, when either or both lights are switched on, the radio is rendered completely useless from the interference generated by these lights. It is as if one if flying directly over powerlines. (**)

Has anyone every experienced this problem, and if so, how did they overcome this issue?

Many thanks, Guys!

Knysna Knight
Welcome to the forum (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 am

Knysna Knight wrote:Hi Guys,

Many thanks, Guys!

Knysna Knight
It is a problem that I have experienced too.

Wait until you try LED strobe lights! The ticking sound can drive you to drink!

Certain manufacturers claim to have solved this problem but I am yet to find proof of it!

You might want to speak to Chris van Rensburg from CN Lighting (info@cnlighting.co.za or ZERO83 232 9924)

Good Luck!
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Knysna Knight
Looking at the sky

Postby Knysna Knight » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:24 am

Many thanks for your welcoming wishes, Nico!!! (^^)

Much appreciation for that contact that you gave me. Will give him a buzz!

Knysna Knight
ZU-BWK
Knysna Knight
ZU-BWK
Luan
First solo

Postby Luan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:56 am

I too have scratched my head at interference on the trike. Being a diyer, programmer, system integrator and tinkerer of sorts my trike has a 7" panel mount windows pc and a few custom MCU's for added situation awareness on the engine side, with built in cellphone and tablet chargers, combined with my strobe, the noise over my comms can only be described as otherworldly! Ironically my old filament landing light actually reduces the noise. Now I have suppressed it with capacitors up the ya-zoo to the point that I do not feel like i'm talking to the ghosts of aviators past anymore. Which is what I suggest you do as a symptom suppressor. However I have been playing with a new idea, patent pending, having two smaller batteries of carefully calculated capacity and weight, with a few relays building a system that mechanically via the relays automatically and periodically flip flops between these two batteries lets say every 30mins, always running from 1 and charging the other from the regulator, thereby leaving your comms system on its own worry free clean power supply. One could also have an emergency fall-over to aircraft power for whatever reason. The only problem I foresee is the radio sharing a ground on the antenna side, but that can probably be overcome with a V antenna or something of the sort... I am quite sure I am not considering something, but it serves to illustrate the frustration of comms noise and the lengths I and some other will go to eliminate it. (**)
Knysna Knight
Looking at the sky

Postby Knysna Knight » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi Luan,

Very interesting suggestion indeed. Strangely enough my son (in a FaceTime call from Bamako, Mali where he's a WFP 1900 pilot) suggested going the route of 2x batteries, fully isolated from each other.

I do have a frame "earthed" antennae, from whence I suspect the interference heralds! A Dipole will certainly go a long way in circumventing this "common ground", if this is indeed the problem. A colleague has suggested that I place 0,00025uF capacity across the hot&neutral legs (at the lights) and this would go a long way in suppressing any RF radiation (if this is indeed causing the interference).

So, given your suggestions, I guess it's "mental pedal to metal" to design a work-around using relays as an intervention gate when one or both switches are activated!!

Regards
Knysna Knight
ZU-BWK
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Cheap chinese lights can be impossible to use. I have a 10W spot light outside my house that drowns out my car's FM radio at 10m...

Best bet is to minimise radiation from external wires - so you need to suppress the noise as close as possible to the lamps. Take each wire through 2 turns around a ferite core, positioned as close to the lamp as possible. Other side the ferrite core, add a 10nF cap to ground from each wire.

If that doesn't help, try to use a hand-held transceiver close to where your radio is - if the hand-held also picks up the noise, then you have a radiated noise problem, and there is no solution but to use a different brand of light. If the hand-held is clear, then it is a conducted noise problem (the noise is coming through the power lines/ground). Check the all grounds are secure, and all metal parts have a good, conductive, connection between them.
Knysna Knight
Looking at the sky

Postby Knysna Knight » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi Justin,

Your information is awesome and helpful. (^^)

I purchased these lights from ExtremeLights, who are the leaders in this field in terms motorbikes, MTB's, etc., and I was little disappointed that they didn't come to the party when I raised this issue. :evil:

Regards
Knysna Knight
ZU-BWK
fifasion
Heard about flying

Postby fifasion » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:07 am

I think it is so great
cheap fifa coins | runescape 07 gold
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:49 am

fifasion wrote:I think it is so great
I think it's not so good-TALIBAN ## ## ## ##
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
fifadimen
Slow starter

Postby fifadimen » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:32 am

I think it is very good
cheap fifa coins | oldschool runescape gold
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:01 am

fifadimen wrote:I think it is very good
Die Taliban vat my aan... ## ## ##
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 am

Hi Knysna Knight, I posted this reply on a previous thread.

Hi Carl. Die electronica wat die krag reguleer vir die LED lig (switch mode regulator) veroorsaak die steuring. Die steuring is in beide die draade en die lug (EMI)teenwoordig. Ek glo hierdie lighte voldoen nie aan die ICASA steurings regulasies nie maar dit gaan jou nie help nie. Ek sou of prober om n' ander ICASA steurings regulasies goedgekeurde LED lig te kry of sit die ou lig terug. As jy n' LED lig kan kry, wat se kassie van eister gemaak is, en jy aard hom goed sal dit ook baia help.

Builders Warehouse LED ligte (down lighters, spot lights ens.) wat van n' spanning van meer as 2.2V werk, genereer gewoonlik EMI.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24309&p=229354&hil ... ed#p229354

My GPS V LED backlight also generates low levels of Radio interfearance. Even with ferrite beads on the power feed the interference is not gone. Aviation GPS's do not do this. Their backlight circuitry is fully suppressed against EMI.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Knysna Knight
Looking at the sky

Postby Knysna Knight » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi Paul,

Very interesting posting, especially the part about not being ICASA passed/rated.

Basically, I've had to put my pride in my pocket (not to mention my thriftiness!) and replace the "el cheapos" (if one can call them that!) with proper AvLights. :oops: :(>

Really appreciate all the help this forum has given me!

Regards,
Knysna Knight
ZU-BWK