ELA or MTO

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
ultraflight
Slow starter

ELA or MTO

Postby ultraflight » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:51 am

I've searched this and other forums and cannot find recent info regarding the main differences between an MTO Sport and an ELA G8.
I'm from the USA and we are just beginning to import the ELA. There has only been one ELA G8 kit (only kits in USA) and it has not been built yet so I've never seen the finished product. We have 40 plus MTO Sports flying in the USA.
I would like to know positives of each gyro (ELA and MTO) especially from anyone that has flown the latest/upgraded versions of both the G7/G8 and MTO and input from any owners of these models.
I have recently come to the world of gyros from FW and trikes. I have a gyro endorsement and received my training in a Magni M-16 (nice but very expensive).
I am especially interested in:
1) Rotor system advantages - I know ELA is composite and MTO is Alum but how much difference does this make
2) Cross-wind capability
3) Actual Cruise speed (using Rotax 912)
4) Rotor flap tendency differences between the two models
5) Any overall flying charcteristics.

Any discussion would be appreciated. If this topic has already been hashed out somewhere please let me know

THANKS in ADVANCE
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: ELA or MTO

Postby mak » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Ultraflight, PM me your e-mail address and I can send you some info.
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
Dobbs
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi Ultraflight, you may also want to put this post on Avcom, there are a number of Gyro pilots there - maybe they are also here, but no harm in trying.
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 pm

HI ultraflight,
I cannot tell you anything about the ELA, but I did my license riding a MTO
I can tell you only stuff about the MTO 100 PS Rotax
---I am especially interested in:

1) Rotor system advantages - I know ELA is composite and MTO is Alum but how much difference does this make
-- Autogyro has set the TBO of the frame and the rotor at 1.500 hours. (Costs a lot of bucks to exchange)
The carbon blades of my gyro (not an ELA) have currently no TBO.

2) Cross-wind capability
- We have done training with more than 15 knots of severe crosswind and gusts. If you received good training, it gan be done without worries.
3) Actual Cruise speed (using Rotax 912)
- 100 to 120 km dual, 110-130 km solo IAS. Ground speed depends on the headwind. Gyros are flying bricks.
4) Rotor flap tendency differences between the two models
- I never had any issues with the MTO. (but you have to make sure you follow the recommended procedures, especially taking care of rotor speed and stick movements)
5) Any overall flying charcteristics.
- Fun,fun, fun. Very stabile, no big feet action (during flight) is required.
During takeoff, the canoe has to be straight at all times until safe speed (80-100 km) has been reached before turning into the wind, even when airborne before.

My data is based on moderate temperatures between 5 and 28 degree celsius and altitudes not higher than 6000 feet.
Performance in other areas like Joburg with higher density altitudes might be very different.

You should keep in mind that the first AUTOGYROs where based on ELA blueprints. Nevertheless the design has received a lot of changes over the years.

Cheers
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything." Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) ..Wir fliegen die Strecke bei jeder Witterung! http://carbonrotor.jimdo.com/