Resleeve 503 engine

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
alan
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Resleeve 503 engine

Postby alan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:51 am

Hi All

Has anybody resleeved the cylinders on a 503 Rotax? I had an overhaul of my 503 where the cylinders were resleeved, new pistons and rings fitted. 8 hours later the rear piston "cold siezed". There were scuff marks on the inlet and exhaust side of the piston and the scuff marks were halfway down the piston skirt. The AP says it looks like a cold sieze. At the time it siezed I was climbing out of a large valley at about 5500 rpm. I had been flying for an hour and 15 minutes prior to this. Can anybody shed some light on this :?: I have heard from one person that resleeved cylinders have a high incidence of siezure.
P.S. Landed in very rough terrain. Anybody have two spare rims they want to sell?
Waiting for the wind to stop
Willie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Re: Resleeve 503 engine

Postby Willie » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:10 am

[quote="alan"]Hi All

8 hours later the rear piston "cold siezed". There were scuff marks on the inlet and exhaust side of the piston and the scuff marks were halfway down the piston skirt. The AP says it looks like a cold sieze. quote]

What do they meen with cold siezed :?: I am very concerned about all the engine failures lately. :shock: Is it not the lead replacement petrol we are using now :?:
http://www.africa-24.com/results3.php?p ... pa=fe_path
ZS-APM C182
ZS-UJC Hatz
ZS-VTV Thunderbird MK4
ZU-EJD Thorp T-18
ZS-PPT Tecnam Sierra
ZS-UGS VP2
ZS-UNC KR2
ZS-AEG Trike (Crashed @ Hippo Pools))
ZS-DMW Tripacer Crashed 1985
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Hi,

Willie wrote:
Is it not the lead replacement petrol we are using now
The way I understand it, you should be using unleaded fuel for the Rotax motors.

Regards,
Arnulf
Willie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Willie » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:34 pm

Arnulf wrote:Hi,

The way I understand it, you should be using unleaded fuel for the Rotax motors.

Regards,
Arnulf
Is that not only for the 912 :?:
ZS-APM C182
ZS-UJC Hatz
ZS-VTV Thunderbird MK4
ZU-EJD Thorp T-18
ZS-PPT Tecnam Sierra
ZS-UGS VP2
ZS-UNC KR2
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi Willie,

In the Operators Manual for the 2 as well as the 4 stroke motors it is not pertinently specified that unleaded fuel must be used. There is only a note pointing out the increase in deposits and wear due to the higher lead content when using AVGAS.
The fuel specification for the 503/582 motors are the same as for the 912 according to the Operators Manual.
The fuel recommended is given according the European standard. In Europe leaded fuel has been phased out many years ago.

To get reliable clarification on this issue, the best would be to contact the manufacturer of the motors.

Regards,
Arnulf
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:40 pm

alan wrote:The AP says it looks like a cold sieze
More likely to be a seizure due to lack of lubrication. A cold seize will normally have scuff marks all the way up and down the side of the piston, on both sides of the piston.
I have heard from one person that resleeved cylinders have a high incidence of siezure.
Two reasons.... a)if you don't do a proper break-in as specified in your Operator's Manual and b) if the tolerances are wrong.

I'm not saying that you didn't have proper lubrication, but if the tolerance between piston and cylinder were incorrect, then it amounts to the same thing

Duck Rogers
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:44 pm

Willie wrote:What do they meen with cold siezed :?: I am very concerned about all the engine failures lately. :shock: Is it not the lead replacement petrol we are using now :?:
Lead replacement fuel has nothing to do with a cold seizure

Duck Rogers
alan
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby alan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi Guys

Sorry about the delay but have been away and busy. I use unleaded petrol with Castrol Super Outboard which is what I have always used. The engine was run in as per Rotax schedule including a stopwatch and instructions followed to the letter/second. I think the problem was tolerances not being correct. The final saga of this development was that the AP has agreed to go 50/50 with replacing it with a new short block. This after legal action was instituted. Costs of repairing undercarriage to trike will have to be borne by me :cry:
Although not ideal I think this was better than dragging it all out with huge costs all around and I am just thankful nobody was hurt (except my piggy bank). If somebody can show me how I will attach a photo of where I had to land.
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:21 pm

alan wrote:The final saga of this development was that the AP has agreed to go 50/50 with replacing it with a new short block. This after legal action was instituted
=D* =D* =D*

Duck Rogers
alan
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby alan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:51 pm

Hi All

Just a photo of the trike in the terrain as mentioned. It could have been a lot more interesting :shock:
Attachments
Alan1.jpg
Alan1.jpg (37.04 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:11 am

Holy Crap

Glad to see you made it OK. :shock: -0<
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re-sleave 503 engine

Postby Leprachaun » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:36 pm

My experiences with a resleeved engine are not good ,
Normally resleeving on a stroker should be done by a reputable engineering shop - not the normal shop that works on watercooled engines, but one that has the tollerances of a high revving aircooled engine - The type of material used should be of the same type as used in the Rotax engines - we have aluminium , steel and another typ of steel contained / preesed to fit and machined - expansion and contraction plays a role , a longer run in period / oil could play a role as well as a hard run , mild workout could have an influence - New type of oils , metals take much longer to wear in , so often the engineers will give it a slightly bigger tollerance , my personal favourite is to rather source a good used 2nd hand sleeve, hone it , fit new circlips , gudgeon pin and bearing and away you go , I have a DVD on rebiulding the Rotax engines , - if ya want one shout , will send .
, Leprachaun
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
alan
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby alan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:14 am

Hi Leprachaun

Thanks for the offer. I was a sent a copy by Alex Rudd which I found very useful. Our terrain here is difficult although there are places to fly that are safer to land in but those are not usually the places I like to fly over as I am involved in wildlife :lol: This is the reason I fly.
Willie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Re: Re-sleave 503 engine

Postby Willie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:44 am

Leprachaun wrote: I have a DVD on rebiulding the Rotax engines , - if ya want one shout , will send .
, Leprachaun
Please post me a copy to 12 Drommedarisstreet Phalaborwa 1390. With your banking details and cost :)
ZS-APM C182
ZS-UJC Hatz
ZS-VTV Thunderbird MK4
ZU-EJD Thorp T-18
ZS-PPT Tecnam Sierra
ZS-UGS VP2
ZS-UNC KR2