Safety tip for new fuel lines

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Kaalkop
Looking at the sky

Safety tip for new fuel lines

Postby Kaalkop » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi fellow aviators
I recently fitted new fuel pipes to my Aquilla, something I have done many times. But what I never did in the past and this last time was to blow hard through all the pipes before fitting them. This nearly ended in disaster as when I did a full power take off, just on rotation the engine lost about 50% power (I also had a pax on board). Fortunately there was just enough runway left to abort the take off. On close inspection of the carburettor it was found that a minute piece of fuel hose had lodged itself in one of the jets of one of the carbs. This dirt could only have come through the pipes between the filter and the carbs. I learnt a lesson, next time I will blow them out nice and clean.
Robbie Shaw
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Re: Safety tip for new fuel lines

Postby Robbie Shaw » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Kaalkop wrote:Hi fellow aviators
I recently fitted new fuel pipes to my Aquilla, something I have done many times. But what I never did in the past and this last time was to blow hard through all the pipes before fitting them. This nearly ended in disaster as when I did a full power take off, just on rotation the engine lost about 50% power (I also had a pax on board). Fortunately there was just enough runway left to abort the take off. On close inspection of the carburettor it was found that a minute piece of fuel hose had lodged itself in one of the jets of one of the carbs. This dirt could only have come through the pipes between the filter and the carbs. I learnt a lesson, next time I will blow them out nice and clean.
Well done for doing the right thing in aborting the take off ... Well done (^^) (^^) (^^)

On behalf of most fellow aviator we thank you for sharing your experience with us as we all know something that should have been done is so easy over looked ..... We thank you sir,,,,,, for the reminder and will remember to clean my pipe when I renew them .....lol (**) " ok guys keep you mind on flying and not in the gutter" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robbie Shaw. (Rhodie)
Zero seven 2 5 six zero 2 six two seven
ZU-BJU. (Love Machine)
Airmanship No 1
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:27 am

Thanks for the tip... (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks for the tip.

And sometimes bugs make a home inside the pipe. Like spiders.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:09 pm

What did you use to cut the hosing? First time I ever cut hosing used a hacksaw to do it :oops: Ended up with the bits you speak off. From that point forward - only use a stanley knife.