Live Flight Tracking with AirNav Pro

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Re: Live Flight Tracking with AirNav Pro

Postby John.com » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:55 am

anthonyhugo wrote:Thanks for the feedback Rudi

I also purchased AirnavPro & the detailed maps but contemplating getting the 3D EFIS map for Mpumulanga (I assume Rhino Park falls in this map?)

I'll probably never use the 3D EFIS terrain functionality but I'm a sucker for gadgets, you think it's worth forking out another R500?

Thanks
Ant
Ant, I have this silent paranoia of flying somewhere and the electronic map 'ending', so I downloaded the full monty!! :lol:
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:01 pm

anthonyhugo wrote:Thanks for the feedback Rudi

I also purchased AirnavPro & the detailed maps but contemplating getting the 3D EFIS map for Mpumulanga (I assume Rhino Park falls in this map?)

I'll probably never use the 3D EFIS terrain functionality but I'm a sucker for gadgets, you think it's worth forking out another R500?

Thanks
Ant
I can't remember how much I paid for it but I did download all (Southern Africa?) 3D data. I have a USA apple account and it looks like I paid a bit less than the prices quoted here, maybe it just feels less if you don't do the $->R conversion vhpy

I have also not really used the 3D data "in anger" but it is a nice to have and yes, I am also a sucker for gadgets........

Cheers,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Below is a track of a recent flight where I used the iPad/Airnav Pro displayed on Google Earth, After I landed I could log onto the Airnav server and the track was there! The iPad locks onto the sats just as fast or faster than a Garmin and there were no gaps in the track indicating it never lost the sats in this around 300 mile flight. It is nice to analyze the flight afterwards seeing speeds and altitudes. Also showed my at what speed I took off and approached for landing, useful information on a new aircraft!

This adds a bit more safety to our flying......

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Rudix wrote:Below is a track of a recent flight where I used the iPad/Airnav Pro displayed on Google Earth, After I landed I could log onto the Airnav server and the track was there! The iPad locks onto the sats just as fast or faster than a Garmin and there were no gaps in the track indicating it never lost the sats in this around 300 mile flight. It is nice to analyze the flight afterwards seeing speeds and altitudes. Also showed my at what speed I took off and approached for landing, useful information on a new aircraft!

This adds a bit more safety to our flying......

Fly safe,
Rudi
Brilliant! Yes, I agree . . . . and the fact that someone back home can be tracking you LIVE whilst you fly is a mind-blast! Also, in the event of something going pear-shaped, someone with access to your flights could establish your exact location! :wink:

A great tool.
Safe Skies! (-)

John.com
John Comley

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Also, don't forget Cloud Ahoy (http://www.cloudahoy.com - downloadable from iStore using a USA address) which give amazing flight 'stage' information.

The one downside with Cloud Ahoy is that it only uploads to the server once the flight is completed, so no LIVE inflight real-time tracking like AirNav Pro! :wink:

Here are some screenshots of my flight on Sunday . . . .

Whole Flight
12.12.16 - Jakkalsdans - Cloud Ahoy - Whole Flight.jpg
Landing at Jakkalsdans
12.12.16 - Jakkalsdans - Cloud Ahoy.jpg
Flight Information - what's quite nice is the 'Cockpit View', allowing you to fly the route in Cockpit Mode!
12.12.16 - Jakkalsdans - Cloud Ahoy - Flight Info.jpg
12.12.16 - Jakkalsdans - Cloud Ahoy - Flight Info.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
Flight Profiles
12.12.16 - Jakkalsdans - Cloud Ahoy - Flight Profiles.jpg
12.12.16 - Jakkalsdans - Cloud Ahoy - Flight Profiles.jpg (36.67 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
John Comley

Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:10 am

Interesting, thanks for posting this, will give "Cloud Ahoy" a try!
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:19 am

I bought Airnav Pro Android for my Samsung Galaxy, and it seems impressive, but my wifi is giving hassles, so I'm battling to download the maps :(
At 300Mb a piece, it's silly to even try to download via 3G. Any ideas if there is a place I can download the files via pc and transfer to phone?
The host website only gives a link to the Google apps page.
Plane-less
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 am

D2O wrote:I bought Airnav Pro Android for my Samsung Galaxy, and it seems impressive, but my wifi is giving hassles, so I'm battling to download the maps :(
At 300Mb a piece, it's silly to even try to download via 3G. Any ideas if there is a place I can download the files via pc and transfer to phone?
The host website only gives a link to the Google apps page.
Ya, you are going to have to find a friendly Wireless Zone!

If you are in Fourways visit me and I'll give you a WiFi day-pass from my company to download then all at once!

I downloaded mine whilst traveling, so used 3G . . . . cost me R5,000!!!! BIG EISH! The cost of instant gratification!! :shock:

PM me if you want to take me up on it!
Last edited by John.com on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Comley

hermand
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby hermand » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Developments regarding the pending legislation for the compulsory use of ELT / PLT / and Flight Followers.

The 121.5 MHz ELT (electronic location transmitter) device will be obsolete by 2013. This device transmits a “Whoop Whoop” sound when activated that allows it to be traced to within 50 NM by satellite or search aircraft fitted with the necessary equipment. (Similar to tracking a rhino beacon with a directional antenna fitted to a receiver.)
Only the new and more accurate 406 MHz ELT will be monitored by Satellite from 2013.
CAA has requested legislation to be implemented early in 2013 that will require all aircraft over 600 kg and below 5700 kg to carry a 406 MHz ELT.
All aircraft, including Microlights, will have to install an ELT when flying cross border. All ELT’s must be registered at ATNS / CAA and linked to an aircraft – you cannot use your buddies ELT.
When flying within the borders of South Africa over specially designated areas like the St Lucia wetlands or Knysna forests will require an ELT / PLT (personal location transmitter) for all aircraft, including Microlights.
CAA will allow a “real time flight follower” instead of an ELT within the borders of South Africa. The specification for this device is very loose at this point but it will probably have to be an automatic dedicated device where pilot input is not required.
Traditionally a flight follower is a dedicated Iridium satellite based tracking device that automatically transmit your position to tracking software on the ground.
Provision has been made for GSM communication devices to be used for this purpose.
The intent with an ELT is to have a dedicated tracking device where no pilot input is required. In the case of a PLT, the pilot must activate the unit. As the unit is satellite based, the coverage is guaranteed but the pilot will have to survive to push the button.
The debate will be if your Smartphone meets the definition of an “automatic flight follower”.
nothing new to add.......
cobra
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby cobra » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:05 pm

hermand wrote:Developments regarding the pending legislation for the compulsory use of ELT / PLT / and Flight Followers.
Interesting :roll:

hereby a live track map with each dot representing a live plot and not missing a beat up to 8000ft, as it does not use cache uploading, and will probably work fine up to 10000ft, using a java compatible phone (e.g nokia N series etc available from the junk mail :? ), a R50 pay-as-you-go will last a year, or using the iPhone/iPad app.

Both with 'panic' SMS buttons. The iPad/iPhone with acceleration/deceleration sensor is able to measure G, in which case if a certain amount of G is exceeded the device will send a SMS automatically with position, speed, heading and altitude (if it survives the impact which it probably will)

PS: Rudi - I'm not sure that the AirNav track above can be live tracks ? but rather gpx track uploaded ?

Aerotrike Cobra
cobra
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby cobra » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:34 pm

John.com wrote:I downloaded mine whilst traveling, so used 3G . . . . cost me R5,000!!!! BIG EISH! The cost of instant gratification!! :shock:
Unbelievable :shock:, John this is also the reason why we use the download as you need method, firstly due to the restriction in technology we use and secondly we see this as a cost saving. The app can save 50mb of map tiles, which is about 2/3 of the SA 1:500 000 maps at mid-zoom. For microlighters which mostly fly the the same area every weekend e.g lets take the Gauteng area, it will only be necessary to download about 750 map tiles in total for 3 different zoom levels of the SA 1:500 000 map and saved to the database. This will occupy 50% of the total 50MB at about R28.00 worth of data from MTN if done with 3G.

So the reasoning is save the map area you fly regularly to your database for offline use and save $. When your database is full and you need to do a cross country clear the database and upload the map tiles needed preferably at home/work with Wifi which is cheaper. E.g. from Lanseria to Cape Town at 2 zoom levels will easily fit the database.
John.com wrote:....traveling, so used 3G . . . . cost me R5,000!!!!

was this on roaming, the cost is ridiculous. At 5000 bucks, no wonder you an AirNav supporter :lol: - I also have it loaded but don't use it for flying for obvious reason :wink:
Aerotrike Cobra
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Got a wireless router as part of an upgrade from my ISP, so I got all the maps now.
Very disappointed in the Android app version for the Samsung Galaxy SII. Has limited features, and doesn't support live tracking :evil:
I think they just did a rush job in making an Android version, as the iPad version has a LOT more! :evil:
I'm switching back to the Orux maps app. It has all the bells and whistles, including artificial horizon, moving map, and GPS route planning and live tracking, and it was for free :shock:
Plane-less
Horned Adder

Postby Horned Adder » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:02 pm

Has anyone actually used the 3D thing and what are the benifeits? Today I had 3 issues during the 4 hours I used it (first time live).
1. The handy 2min, 5min & 10min markers on the Orange heading line dissapeared after about an hour. When I fiddled with the screen center button the whole thing shut down and quickly restarted :shock: fortunately it kept my waypoints.
2. Twice it lost "contact/link" when the map went yellow and it then restarted itself again quickly and continued without any further issues.

Any ideas why it did this? I did not touch it to cause this other than the first time when the time markers dissapeared.

Regards
To fly is Heavenly but to Hover is Divine!
Christo-FCN
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Christo-FCN » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:39 pm

I Got mine to work just fine on the Ipad Mini.

Once you get to know Air Nav Pro its really awesome to use. ^
Attachments
20150704_065512.jpg
20150704_065512.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Christo van Rooyen
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:12 am

Horned Adder wrote:Has anyone actually used the 3D thing and what are the benifeits? Today I had 3 issues during the 4 hours I used it (first time live).
1. The handy 2min, 5min & 10min markers on the Orange heading line dissapeared after about an hour. When I fiddled with the screen center button the whole thing shut down and quickly restarted :shock: fortunately it kept my waypoints.
2. Twice it lost "contact/link" when the map went yellow and it then restarted itself again quickly and continued without any further issues.

Any ideas why it did this? I did not touch it to cause this other than the first time when the time markers dissapeared.

Regards
Hi,

Which OS are you using, iOS or Android :?:

I know the Android version is not as updated as the iOS version of AirNav Pro...I could be wrong ##

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"