EGT PROBLEM

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
BOATCH
Flying low - mind the power lines

EGT PROBLEM

Postby BOATCH » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:07 pm

I have a problem with the egt on a 582,the one bank shows 10 to 12 degrees cooler than the other. I adjusted the air screw on the carbs to the same 1and a half turns from lock and still the same so i removed the probes and swopped them and still the same. Could it be that the gauge is faulty and would it solve the problem if I adjust the probe depth to get the same reading. :idea:
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: EGT PROBLEM

Postby WhiteEagle » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:42 pm

What temp does it show in flight? 600 to 640 degrees?
"Good judgement usually comes from experience. Experience usually comes from bad judgement."
zoobie
First solo

Postby zoobie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:31 am

I have the same with mine....have never been able to get them exatcly the same...but already done 300 hours like this and never any problems.

so just and enjoy.
"pilolts with big go**s fly taildraggers"
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby WhiteEagle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:07 am

They tend to wear after a while and one more than the other, I replaced one and there was a 40 degree difference between the 2 reedings, before also about 10 degrees difs, so if you replace, do both at the same time and even then it will not give exactly the same reeding. 10 to 12 degrees is only a 2% variation, that is nothing. As Zoobie said, enjoy.
"Good judgement usually comes from experience. Experience usually comes from bad judgement."
BOATCH

Postby BOATCH » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Ok thanks at least it seems mine is not the only one with that problem
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Strange. In the good `ol days, we did not have crap on board like egt probes and meters. And we had less to worry about, and we enjoyed our flying more. vhpy Just one more thing to go wrong and make your flying more expensive and less enjoyable. :evil: Now you HAVE to have it on board. ** ** ** ** ** **
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Make sure the fuel level in the float chambers are exactly the same, it might help.
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 pm

BOATCH wrote:I have a problem with the egt on a 582,the one bank shows 10 to 12 degrees cooler than the other. I adjusted the air screw on the carbs to the same 1and a half turns from lock and still the same so i removed the probes and swopped them and still the same. Could it be that the gauge is faulty and would it solve the problem if I adjust the probe depth to get the same reading. :idea:
12 degrees variance between the two, so lets say 6 degrees variance each, totaling the 12 degrees, right? Well, at 600 degrees that's a 1% variance!

I would start to worry at around a 5-10% variance! Currently my EGTs are 30 degrees different.

For what it's worth, when I had issues with my CHT reading on my Stratomaster Extreme, MGL, the manufacturers, informed me that a 20% variance in reading is acceptable!!! :shock: Doing a boiling water test (with a kettle) on my new CHT probe it showed 117 degrees whereas water boils in JHB at around 95 degrees! So a 20% variance? I simply now make adjustments when I fly, knowing that 80 degrees water temperature is in fact more like 70 degrees actual!

My half cents worth . . . . I hope it helps!

Safe Skies! (-)

John.com
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
nickjaxe
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby nickjaxe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 pm

From what I remember from the manual...it says should be within 25c of each other....yours sound ok to me.
What a nice feeling it is being part of such a nice group of people, {Microlighters}