Carb question.

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
royden
Looking at the sky

Carb question.

Postby royden » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:33 am

Hi to all. Does anyone know if there is a local company/supplier that can supply an updraft carb for the VW aero conversion. I know they can be ordered from USA but i would rather buy one locally. Many thanks. Royden.
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:24 am

royden wrote:...Does anyone know if there is a local company/supplier that can supply an updraft carb for the VW aero conversion...
Any one of a number of Zenith carbs will work. You will be hard pressed to find a new one though. I used a Stromberg CD 175 (CD = Constant Depression) on a previous VW conversion. I had tried a number of types such as Weber, SU, Aisan, Mikuni and the rest....
Best and most stable results were with the CD 175. (A CD 150 should also work although I have no experience with it) You get one from a used auto parts dealer. Try a used Mercedes spares place. They used to be fitted to the older type W123 motors and in particular, I think the 230 models. They also came out on old Jaguars and Land Rovers.

Tailspin is another member here on the forum that can give you some more useful advice on the carb selection :D

Duck Rogers
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two