582 Water Temp.

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
ger koff
Thinking of flying

Re: 582 Water Temp.

Postby ger koff » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:34 pm

John

If the head was skimmed unnecessarily then the engine may be detonating at max output. This can raise engine temps very quickly. In fact generally so quickly that you melt a piston. A quick test is to run 98 octane fuel for a flight and see if the problem disappears.
If the ignition timing has accidently been set too advanced the engine may again be detonating and running hot.
However, having said this they would be the last things I would check.
Also, if the engine is still tight following a rebuild then it will be running hot. That is pretty normal. After 50 hours of operation it generally has loosened up. Normally you can spot a tight engine when you switch off the ignition at idle. If it comes to a halt very quickly (compared to before the rebuild) it is probably a bit tight and may be generating a little excess heat. This normally sorts itself out after 50 hours though. I suspect with two strokes the rings bed in pretty quickly anyway.
Jonfer44
Thinking of flying

Postby Jonfer44 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Here is another interesting article about all the gauges and what they tell us.

http://www.esatclear.ie/~xair/gauge.htm
Jonfer44
Thinking of flying

Postby Jonfer44 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Here is another article about gauges and what they tell us about the engine.

http://www.esatclear.ie/~xair/gauge.htm
janjacobs66
Pre flight checks done

Postby janjacobs66 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm still fighting the evil temperature devil s065 in my 582 ...
as always, the VERY last thing I do will probably solve it :lol:

But my question, the 2 small radiators on the 582, whats the coolant volume ?
cant find it anywhere ... even Google got gatvol of me
Cheers !

Jan
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Beefmaster » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi soekiwindni,

I'm no expert but always do my own maintenance on my vehicles. I'm not sure if there's specific coolant that has to be used, or if the head is aluminium or not, but I always use BARLOWS CAT coolant in my land rovers. They all tend to run hot and although the coolant doesnt keep it cooler, the barlows one puches the boiling point of the coolant to 127°C. This is just for peace of mind to make sure the hoses dont burst, draining the coolant, and melting your engine ;) Good luck!
ZU-DMB -> Worlds hottest Raptor 582
A powerline never hits an aircraft, except in self-defence.
Gavin Kukard
JohnCWE
Pre flight checks done

Postby JohnCWE » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 pm

Had this problem on my Jora, 582 will happily run at 95 deg but was never happy when it went over 85, added a second radiator and no problems since even in a 40 deg ambient 2 up full bat on a continuos climb out to 5000' agl one afternoon on the way back from zandrivier
Book says it is normal at 84 deg, 100 isn't boiling point as radiater has .5bar pressure cap so 90 is not a sweat
The radiators are designed for european ambients and are way out o spec here.
suggestions
First check your thermostat, dunk it in a pot of water and raise the temp to 80 deg, it should be wide open.
If it is a blue top see that the bypass is completely closed off when it is at 80 deg.

Is it one of the new long thin radiaters or the old square ones, is it positioned in the airflow or have you added some paniers, fairings, etc that are disturbing the flow onto it
Is the temps fine in the morning when you fly and the ambient is cool?
what is your egt, is it not running lean?
Sterkte