Do I really need to upgrade my Pilon+Lower boom

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Do I really need to upgrade my Pilon+Lower boom

Postby Maybe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:08 pm

I got some feedback from the manufacturers. Apparently I still have the old type Pylon and Lowerboom on my trike. Aliminium inside aliminium tube. The new spec is a steel inside an aliminium tube.

This trike has been flying like this since '87. Will the trike be that much stronger with new spec tubes? Or only stronger on the landing? Where will the biggest benifit lie for upgrading.

I will need to buy a profile tube as well because my old spec lower boom is shorter..so when i install new , i need replace the profile tube.

Looks like a total cost of R7000 incl labour. Excl trasport.
Is it worth upgrading? Or should I rather put the R7k towards a BRS chute?
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Do I really need to upgrade my Pilon+Lower boom

Postby Wargames » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:18 pm

As I understood you should replace your pylon every 500hours.

I would replace the items you mentioned, and forget about the BRS. If your trike is well maintained, it is just a weight ballast. :? :?
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
SkySketch
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby SkySketch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Wargames wrote:As I understood you should replace your pylon every 500hours.

I would replace the items you mentioned, and forget about the BRS. If your trike is well maintained, it is just a weight ballast. :? :?
Do not agree with you, the day you end up in bad weather or something unexpected goes wrong, and you have a structural failure a Chute is most probably going to save your life, even a engine out in risky terrain!

BRS is a must in my opinion and it makes flying so much more enjoyable knowing that you have a backup!
Juan-Peter (JP) Schulze
RV Freak!!!!
RV...Das Flugzeug
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 pm

SkySketch wrote:
Wargames wrote:As I understood you should replace your pylon every 500hours.

Do not agree with you, the day you end up in bad weather or something unexpected goes wrong, and you have a structural failure a Chute is most probably going to save your life, even a engine out in risky terrain!

BRS is a must in my opinion and it makes flying so much more enjoyable knowing that you have a backup!
True, but it will also make you take more chances. In my opinion a BRS is overrated, as what we do is for enjoyment, and we should never push the limits so far that the BRS is necessary. And oh yes, a BRS wouldn't make my flying more enjoyable than what it is already, in fact, with a BRS fitted on my plane I would be over MTOW solo!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
SkySketch
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby SkySketch » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Wargames wrote:
SkySketch wrote:
True, but it will also make you take more chances. In my opinion a BRS is overrated, as what we do is for enjoyment, and we should never push the limits so far that the BRS is necessary. And oh yes, a BRS wouldn't make my flying more enjoyable than what it is already, in fact, with a BRS fitted on my plane I would be over MTOW solo!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
If that is the case then you ( generalizing here ) are not disciplined enough and should not be flying!

I write this with respect, I apologize if it seems ruse and disrespectful!

Kind Regards JP
Juan-Peter (JP) Schulze
RV Freak!!!!
RV...Das Flugzeug
Massimo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Massimo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Maybe wrote:I got some feedback from the manufacturers. Apparently I still have the old type Pylon and Lowerboom on my trike. Aliminium inside aliminium tube. The new spec is a steel inside an aliminium tube.

This trike has been flying like this since '87. Will the trike be that much stronger with new spec tubes? Or only stronger on the landing? Where will the biggest benifit lie for upgrading.

I will need to buy a profile tube as well because my old spec lower boom is shorter..so when i install new , i need replace the profile tube.

Looks like a total cost of R7000 incl labour. Excl trasport.
Is it worth upgrading? Or should I rather put the R7k towards a BRS chute?
Do both, pylon and BRS!
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:56 pm

SkySketch wrote:I write this with respect, I apologize if it seems ruse and disrespectful!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruse

According the above website:

A ruse is an action or plan which is intended to deceive someone.

Thanks, now I also know.

If the intension was to write "rude", its still not a problem. BRS is unfortunately one of those items on which everyone has there own opinion on. Don't know of any cases where a BRS actually saved someone, although I can think of a couple where pilots who didn't have them could have been saved if they had them on board.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
SkySketch
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby SkySketch » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Juan-Peter (JP) Schulze
RV Freak!!!!
RV...Das Flugzeug
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:02 am

ok, ive decided to not replace the pylon, boom and profile tube..... - yet.

These items only has 650 hours on. According to the spec, only needs replacement after 1500hrs. So i will think about replacing them around the 1000 hr mark.

And then....maybe start thinking about brs.