Rotax 582 Exhaust Issues and oil burn

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Rotax 582 Exhaust Issues and oil burn

Postby Boet » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 am

Nearly forgot: If the 582 leaks oil from the exhaust or the intake manifold, it has too much oil in the petrol, and the manifold studs against the engine block is loose, or the exhaust manifold gaskets are shot. Worst case, rings stuck?? :roll:
Johnny Be Good
Ready for the first flight

Postby Johnny Be Good » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks Boet. The oil / fuel is blowing back at the bottom end of the exhaust manifold where it joins the elbow. I am pretty sure that the mixture had too much oil because of the initial mix as per the rotax manual plus the autolube. I am going to try and start her again today using just the autolube. The engine ran rough on the first start with quite a lot of vibration which is why I think there was movement of the exhaust causing the blow back. I am not sure whether the vibration is as a result of the rough running or if it's a prop issue. I have checked the tracking but not the balance of the prop (p-prop).

What do you think?
Johnny Be Good

Postby Johnny Be Good » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Just some feed back:

I drained the tanks and carbs and put in some fresh fuel without any premixed oil. I also adjusted the autolube pump so that it wasn't adding as much oil at low rpm's. The motor ran a lot smoother without the vibration and subsequently the blow back via the exhaust sorted itself out as well. Thanks for all the advice.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm

You are welcome.

Fly safe! vhpy
Johnny Be Good

Postby Johnny Be Good » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Just some feed back - I did post this a couple of days ago but it must still be in cyberspace somewhere.

I changed the fuel and put in some fresh stuff with no premixed oil. I also adjusted the autolube pump so that it wasn't putting out as much oil at low RPM's while I do the initial running in of the motor. The motor then started and ran fine with a lot less vibration and as a result there was no blow back from the joint between the exhaust to the manifold.

Thanks to all for the advice.
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:11 pm

???????????? Your original post is 2 posts above your last one. Not lost at all (^^) (^^)

Johnny Be Good wrote:Just some feed back - I did post this a couple of days ago but it must still be in cyberspace somewhere.

I changed the fuel and put in some fresh stuff with no premixed oil. I also adjusted the autolube pump so that it wasn't putting out as much oil at low RPM's while I do the initial running in of the motor. The motor then started and ran fine with a lot less vibration and as a result there was no blow back from the joint between the exhaust to the manifold.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Johnny Be Good

Postby Johnny Be Good » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Must be the Zimbabwean internet - wasn't there yesterday or the reply from Boet but I see it now.
Glad you're paying attention.
Cheers
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Johnny Be Good wrote: I also adjusted the autolube pump so that it wasn't putting out as much oil at low RPM's while I do the initial running in of the motor.

Do you have EGT probes on the plane? Monitor your mix carefully, you don't want to lean too much (seen as high temps on the EGT's) Otherwise, inpect the plugs regularly, if they are burning white or grey you are too lean and this will end up in holes in pistons etc.
Greg Perkins
Johnny Be Good

Postby Johnny Be Good » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks Morph

I have got egt probes linked to a skydat and the temps were well within range when I ran up to 5000 rpm on the initial run-in cycle. I had only adjusted the pump because I noticed that the set up lines on the side of the pump weren't quite returning to neutral when the engine was idling. I will watch the temps closely though as things can go wrong pretty quickly. The first time I started the engine I saw a rapid rise in water temp and discovered that there had been an airlock when I filled the radiator. I ended up adding about 500ml of water to what I had thought was a full system!
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:22 am

Watch the EGT's all through the rev range, not just at 5000rpm. It is the lower revs where you have leaned it a bit that would concern me. If it is too lean here you can end up with problems on long decents when the engine is idling for extended periods of time for example
Greg Perkins
Johnny Be Good

Postby Johnny Be Good » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:57 am

Will do. (^^)
RV12
Survived second engine out

Postby RV12 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 pm

I am looking for this exhaust downpipe for a Rotax 582. The one that I currently have is too heavy and brakes in flight (too much vibration ?)
Attachments
Image 086.jpg
Image 086.jpg (93.03 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu May 05, 2016 8:03 am

Make one from an old car shock absorber. It is very thin wall and light. End of problem. CKP still going fine? Would like to see her back as a taildragger though :lol:
RV12

Postby RV12 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:48 am

Boet wrote:Make one from an old car shock absorber. It is very thin wall and light. End of problem. CKP still going fine? Would like to see her back as a taildragger though :lol:
She is going well Boet. Taildragger ? I don't think so. -xX