Part 24, Doing your own maintenance

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Part 24, Doing your own maintenance

Postby Morph » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:57 am

I emailed Braam Hector at CAA to get the true story
Braam Hector wrote:We are looking at amending the legislation to ensure that owner can do some of their own maintenance. (Not yet promulgated)

The owner/builder can do his own maintenance but the annual inspection should be carried out by another AP. (This is to ensure safety)

The owner(not builder-Morph) can carry out any maintenance as long as it is conducted under the supervision of an appropriately rated AP and the logbooks are signed off to reflect the activities carried out.
As the Owner-Builder of my Bushbaby I will carry out my own maintenance and will take CAA's statements over RAASA. I do agree with having an AP do the annual, it is always good to have another set of eyes checking things out.
Greg Perkins
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:14 am

The owner-builder has never really been an issue. My understanding is that the owner/builder applies to become an AP for his aircraft alone . CAA and RAASA are singing the same tune on that.

It is the poor triker that purchased his trike from Solo Wings, or purchased a BB from SA Planes, that cannot even replace his spark plug (without supervision) - that is the problem.
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Part 24, Doing your own maintenance

Postby John Young » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:23 am

skybound® wrote:It is the poor triker that purchased his trike from Solo Wings, or purchased a BB from SA Planes, that cannot even replace his spark plug (without supervision) - that is the problem.
Hi,

Agreed !!!!

With all the "zig zagging" and mind changing, how the heck are we amateurs supposed to keep up to date and know what's allowed and what isn't?

The mind boggles at all this bureaucracy. :? :? :?

Be mindful of people who constantly run around in circles - they start to think they are the "big wheels". :roll:

Regards
John ZU-sEXY
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:28 am

John Young wrote:With all the "zig zagging" and mind changing, how the heck are we amateurs supposed to keep up to date and know what's allowed and what isn't?
Spot on John - hence sometimes why I get anal about wanting to see things in writing - in their correct places like in the gazette, AIC or AIP.
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:20 am

Hi Folk.

Any new direction here?

With Braam representing ATF section at CAA and Pierre from RAASA supporting the reasonable proposed new law, I am sure things are underway to resolve the issue.

Regards.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
CFB Bantam
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby CFB Bantam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:57 am

Does that then also mean if you own a Jabiru or Bantam, apart fromt he standard items like plugs and filters, we may do the blow-byes on our Jabby engines as well? Would love to learn how to do it

ZU-KCB (!!)
Kingfisher
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:47 pm

I would really like to know where we currently stand with this issue, what may & may not be done by the owner of an NTC aircraft. There is obviously a difference between an owner built aircraft and one that was bought from whoever.
With trikes there is a wing that can be removed & refitted to transport the aircraft, which to me seems like a big responsibility - AP needed here or not ? If not, why not be able to change a set of plugs according to the manual with the correct tools ?
I own a trike which I haven't flown yet, and would like some clarity on this before taking the plunge and lay out money in what may then become a soon unafordable venture, so please guys, if there is anyone with the factual information about this, please help.
As far as my logic goes, one has to draw a line at the owner's ability and knowledge to do certain maintenance on his own aircraft, and leave the serious stuff like stripping engines to the pro's. After all, the idea of NTC aircraft is to make it
more affordable, or are we now going to be treated as type certificated-non type certificated flyers forced to make use of AMO's at whatever price seems fair.
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 am

Some movement with RAASA putting some proposals forward.
To clarify the situation RAASA has submitted an addition to Part 24 as follows:

(6) The primary builder of a non-type certificated aircraft may carry out the annual inspection referred to in subparagraph (1) and may submit the annual inspection form required in subparagraph (4).
and more importantly:
(2) Simple line maintenance may be carried out by the owner of a non-type certificated aircraft. Line maintenance includes, but is not limited to, the items listed in the Document SA-CATS-NTCA. For items not listed in the Document SA-CATS-NTCA the owner should consult with an appropriately rated Approved Person as to the complexity of the task and should only perform the maintenance if the Approved Person agrees that it is simple.
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Good news...... Now, if only we had thought of wording it like this in the beginning:)

Can someone inform us of the time-frame for this proposal, if acceptable as is, to be inplemented and ACTAULLY LAW.

Ta.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Were do I get the Document SA-CATS-NTCA?

Thanks
Flying feeds the soul!
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:24 pm

The current CATS-NTCA can be found here: http://www.caa.co.za/LexisNexis/Lnb.asp

I doubt the relevant list referred to above would be included yet. The approach is normally to get the CAR passed first and then do the CAT. The CATs can be updated at any time and does not have to run the same legal course as the regulation (CAR) ie easier to update CATS than CARS.
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks skybound
Flying feeds the soul!
Raymonvt
Signed up at flight school

Postby Raymonvt » Thu May 12, 2011 5:07 pm

As I am finishing off my licence, have to do another hour in the GF, cross-country and tests, almost there, I have bought my own aerie on auction. This has given me some new challenges.
The aircraft was well looked after according to the guys at Microland and Bapsfontein, they all knew the aircraft registration when I mentioned the previous owner's name - a good sign?
The ATF have expired, traier license expired, etc, so I set off on a repair spree ! ! !
I folded the wing, put it on the trailer and got the aerie to my place. Here I started the cleaning exercise. Going through the cart I found a number of issues:
tyres showe cracking marks, not major, but they were there on the running surface, so I replaced them. When doing the front wheel I picked up that the axle was bent, so I replaced it. I opened the pod and found a few nuts floating at the bottom on the inside, not good as this can cause short circuits, etc. I checked the fitment of all instruments and cleaned it properly. I lubricated all parts moving and ensured that the cart was safe. The one drag link was bent and the previous owner flew the plane like that, I replaced this with a new one. I removed all covers and inspected the entire frame for cracks, or defects. The seats and panier bags was washed and re-fitted after inspecting seat-belt assembly. After this I re-fitted all covers to the cart. The footrest rubbers showed cracks, so this was replaced. In short I fixed all visible issues I found !
I received a detailed part list from Comet for the Rotax 582 Blue Top which is fitted. The engine is in mint condition, even with 520 hours. The pistons have been replaced during the last AP. The engine did not want to idle initially, so I replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the idling jets, etc, she is humming now !
This brought me to the wing, the wing was given to Jenya to strip and inspect. All items was checked for defects and cleaned and lubricated on the folding points. All rusted washers, bolts, etc. was replaced. On inspection it was found that some of the luff-lines have starter shearing on the top connecting point, obviously this was replaced. All battons are being checked for defects and correct dihedral. The wing-tip battens was badly bent, replaced !
The wing will be rigged today.
The problem is getting the damn headsets sorted. I have paid the guys two weeks ago and still the aerie is in their hangar - excellent service ? 8) 8)
I have a commitment though that it will be resolved by this week ending !
I am planning to collect the aerie on Saturday after my solo flight and then fit the wing.
The aerie will then be given to the experts for a thorrough check and AP whereafter hopefully I can get the ATF done. I would like to finish my license with my own aerie.
I know this is a mouthful, but I am convinced many of the items found defect will not be picked up by a routine AP.
I wanted to ensure when I take my beautiful wife up in our own aerie for the first time, we will come down safely !
Safe Flying !
The Hangman
Found a flight school

Postby The Hangman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:17 am

Hi Guys, can anyone recommend a amo/ap who can help with the fault finding of a magdrop problem on the rotax 582?
The fault is intermittent and does not always show up when testing. I am a bit scared to start changing mags and other things not only is it expensive but I need to know that I am not barking up the wrong tree.....
any help will be greatly appreciated.......!
or just sms me a number to 0716722662....!
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:56 am

The new part 44 which I believe is now been promulgated. (^^) vhpy vhpy
44.01.4 (1) No person may carry out maintenance on an amateur built aircraft or a productionbuilt
non-type certificated aircraft, or any component thereof, unless such person –
(a) is appropriately rated or approved on type by the Director or the organisation designated
for the purpose in terms of Part 149, as the case may be, to carry out maintenance; or
(b) carries out the maintenance under the prescribed supervision of a person authorised by
the Director or by the organisation referred to in paragraph (a). A dual check of the
maintenance carried out must be performed by a person referred to in sub-paragraph (a);
or
(c) is the owner of the aircraft provided that an appropriately rated approved AMO, AME or
Approved Person, rated in accordance with Subpart 4 of Part 66, performs a dual check
on the maintenance which was carried out; or
(d) is an appropriately rated approved AMO, AME or approved person, rated in accordance
with Subpart 4 of Part 66