Cubby Owners

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Cubby Owners

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:38 pm

Up to you. Maybe check every 10-15 hrs for first 100 then maybe 25hrs. I know the 912 for eg is 50hs vs 100hrs for Mogas. I have a suggested VW manual in office which I can email you when I get back to civilisation... in Feb I hope
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
checkride
Thinking of flying

Postby checkride » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:46 pm

that would be cool email rael_ressel@hotmail.com thanks
atom
First solo

Re: Cubby Owners- fuel pump

Postby atom » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Whilst working on my cubby i had a chance to look under the panel of my tri cubby as it was due for a filter change and the rest of the service for my annual ATF. i see that the cubby is running on one fuel pump. There is no redundancy should the system fail either by loosing its supply or pump failure as a result of wear and tear. Has anybody looked into redundant fuel supply system like an additional facet pump or something similar?? Would be interesting to find out.
Regards
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:16 am

No redundant electrical pump :shock: yeah you can run a facet for redundancy. Switched on for take-off and on short final.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Giarc64
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Giarc64 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Stephan van Tonder wrote:No redundant electrical pump :shock: yeah you can run a facet for redundancy. Switched on for take-off and on short final.

hi guys

just purchased cubby. only start convex next week. can you confirm that you fly with fuel pump on all the time or just for takeoff, landing and manuevering.

seeing it is gravity fed, surely you can keep pump off for the cruise. it might be worthwile installing an additional pump with switch over valve and switch incase main pump fails.

also what is the story on fuel
The cubby has been using 93 unleaded
sould i continue using 93 unleaded, or 95 unleaded or a combination of 93/95 with avgas to get some lead in the fuel to protect the valves. My engine was completely overhauled, would they have changed the valves to be able to deal with unleaded fuel or not.

cheers
craig
bluesmancoops
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Cubby Owners- fuel pump

Postby bluesmancoops » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:01 pm

atom wrote:Whilst working on my cubby i had a chance to look under the panel of my tri cubby as it was due for a filter change and the rest of the service for my annual ATF. i see that the cubby is running on one fuel pump. There is no redundancy should the system fail either by loosing its supply or pump failure as a result of wear and tear. Has anybody looked into redundant fuel supply system like an additional facet pump or something similar?? Would be interesting to find out.
Regards
My Tri-Cubby has 2 fuel pumps - one i use on start up and cross over to the other on take off and keep it on that one for the duration of the flight.
Mike Cooper
Flying is not a hobby it is an addiction
bluesmancoops
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bluesmancoops » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:02 pm

Giarc64 wrote:
Stephan van Tonder wrote:No redundant electrical pump :shock: yeah you can run a facet for redundancy. Switched on for take-off and on short final.

hi guys

just purchased cubby. only start convex next week. can you confirm that you fly with fuel pump on all the time or just for takeoff, landing and manuevering.

seeing it is gravity fed, surely you can keep pump off for the cruise. it might be worthwile installing an additional pump with switch over valve and switch incase main pump fails.

also what is the story on fuel
The cubby has been using 93 unleaded
sould i continue using 93 unleaded, or 95 unleaded or a combination of 93/95 with avgas to get some lead in the fuel to protect the valves. My engine was completely overhauled, would they have changed the valves to be able to deal with unleaded fuel or not.

I am using unleaded and add a little Valve ease with it

cheers
craig
Mike Cooper
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 pm

or simply use LRP petrol if you are unsure..
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
atom
First solo

Postby atom » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Can any one tell me whats the pressure generated by the fuel pump on a cubby and must it have a fuel filter that is specifically designed for that pressure?

The other question is whats the reason for a momentary oil temp drop of approx 10 deg C during flight and after a minute going back to approx 90-100 Deg C?

Can anyone elaborate
Andy (aka atom)
clive layland
Pre flight checks done

Postby clive layland » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Just Thought I would share my latest project with my Cubby.

I have always been intrigued with STOL flight, and from many articles I have read, it seems that one of the items which seemed to be at the top of the list and best bang for your buck was to install vortex generators.

So after doing some searching on the net, decided to purchase a set from http://www.stolspeed.com.
I think the fact that they are the best looking VG's I have seen was the decider, as there seem to be minimal performance difference between the different manufacturers.

After doing numerous hours flight testing, checking stall speed etc. prior to installation, finally install the VG's on the 9 Dec 2008. Due to weather, only managed 0.8hours flight testing time before leaving to Angola for 5 weeks.
Since being back have managed to continue testing for another 3hrs and have to admit that the results I have personally obtained are really impressive.

Power Off / Power On (2800rpm)

No VG's 46mph 43mph

Full Span VG's 38mph 35mph

No VGs
Slight buffeting just before stall. Ailerons become ineffective close to stall and needs rudder to correct wing drop.
Aircraft breaks and drops left wing. Wing drop more noticable with power on.

Full Span VG's Test
First thing to notice is that the Ailerons are now a lot more responsive and don’t feel heavy at all, even close to the stall.
No wing drop evident at all, rather a mushing effect with stick fully back. Aircrafts lowers nose and continues flying.

There has been no visable effect to cruise speed or fuel consumption.
Landing and rotation is done now at a reduced speed.

The VG's have made an already sweet handling aerie even sweeter.
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (36.68 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (54.07 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (49.01 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Nice....
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
tandemtod1
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby tandemtod1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:28 pm

On the fuel injected Cubby's they originally came fitted with one HIGH PRESSURE fuel pump fitted behind the panel. The fuel pressure is between 3,5 and 4,5 bar. The standard facet fuel pump is a low pressure pump and can't be used in this application as a back up. You can buy a second pump from VOLKSPARES (the same company also supplies the GOTECH fuel injection computer) They have a branch in Jhb and Elandsfontein.
The carburettor fed Cubby had gravity feed and a facet fuel pump. Joshua and I tried several times to cruise with the pump off but the motor was never really happy without it. Sometimes we would get a huge backfire when it was switched off so we elected to always run with it switched on.
Hope this helps
atom
First solo

Postby atom » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:42 pm

Howzit Tandemtod1
Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated. Will make a turn at Gotech for the extra pump.
Take care
bluesmancoops
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bluesmancoops » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:12 pm

how are the VG's fitted?
Mike Cooper
clive layland
Pre flight checks done

Postby clive layland » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:15 pm

VG's are fitted using a 3M double sided tape product.

It's a solvent-free acrylic adhesive that holds extremely well, but can be easily removed with no damage to the paint. It remains flexible, so can take a severe knock without breaking loose, but can be removed by a long steady hard pull.