Rotax 582 long time not started.

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
cjkrit
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Rotax 582 long time not started.

Postby cjkrit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Due to circumstances my PPC with Rotax 582 bluetop was not used for several months- like 7 or so.
Any special precautions when I start her up now for the first time?
Advice will be appreciated.
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Rotax 582 long time not started.

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi cjkrit

when mine stands for a while i ensure to turn the motor by hand (mags off) for a good couple of turns just to get the parts moving again and some lubrication distributed. Additionally make sure your air filters are cleaned as they can accumulate a lot of dust; drain and check the carb bowls a few times to ensure clean fuel is primed through the system. Also replace your fuel filter as they can dry out in addition to replacing old fuel in your tank, Remove and clean/ replace your plugs to ensure they dont have any rust on the tip. If your radiator coolant has a probability of being old and possibly has sediment then flush the entire systems and refill... lastly if you have a battery it will likely need a good charge.

hope this helps
regards
Stan
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
cjkrit
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby cjkrit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi,
Thanks this will most definately help me.
Much appreciated
spatz
Found a flight school

Postby spatz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Mine stood for 5 years in a barn after the owner was killed in another trike. Turned it over primed it and it started 4th pull, ran for 10 hours (flying ) bearing checked all good , monitored it for the next 50 hours, no change now has close on 200 hours. and still going strong.
Keven
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 am

spatz wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:09 pm
Mine stood for 5 years in a barn after the owner was killed in another trike. Turned it over primed it and it started 4th pull, ran for 10 hours (flying ) bearing checked all good , monitored it for the next 50 hours, no change now has close on 200 hours. and still going strong.
Keven
Morning vhpy

I must say that the 582 is a strong motor ## I bought mine in April 2015, it has also been standing for two and a half years as the previous owner died and his sister left the trike at Microland with Oom Hans to sell :cry:

Oom Hans the LEGEND helped me get the Black and Yellow Beast back in the air ## I have now done more than 200 hours and still going strong without the motor being opened and without any hickups ##

Plus it is a Silver Top 582 :mrgreen:

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"