Student Advice on Trike

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
burnerli
Looking at the sky

Student Advice on Trike

Postby burnerli » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a student and looking for my own trike.

I'm reading the "For Sale" section for a while and there are some awesome trikes out there, but I can't decide under which aspect I should buy one?

Should I go for a trike R100k+ or below? Why are some so expensive and some are cheaper?
That one sounds good to me:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23756

I'm just not sure about the BMW engine... it has low hours on the clock.

Then there is this one:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23723
Ppl wrote it's a bargain (I guess compared to a new brand new one out of the box)

or this one:
http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... 5f6612bfbc
Or maybe this:

personally I like this one, because of the wing :)
But I guess, I don't want to a "hand-start" the engine :(

I met someone who said, he bought a bargain, but had to replace the wing 1 year later (not a bargain anymore)......

I don't have the experience (+10hours dual on the clock) and I'm wondering if some of you "oom's" could share your experience and knowledge...

Where can I see, what to change/replace after an certain amount of flying hours?

Lot's of questions and confussion... .

thanks a lot
stefan
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Student Advice on Trike

Postby nicow » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Stefan
Welcome to our world (^^) (^^) (^^)
Speak to your instructor,don't buy to fast,fly a few and then chose the one you want.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Stefan,

This is where your instructor should be your best friend... do you have an idea of what sort of flying you intend to do in the future...

If you are doing cabage patch flying on your own, then a 503 windlass is all good... however the Chain gang guys will tell you that you can take a 503 anywhere...

That Cobra is an amazing airie...

It's very much a case of horses for courses and what you can afford...

Cheers

Craig
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Wise words from a seasoned instuctor Nico...
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:33 am

Morning Stefan,

Welcome to the forum. (^^)

All good advice above. I see you based at Kroon so load "Langarm's Nel" into your car and then take him along to go and inspect the trikes you are interested in. (!!) He is always willing to help and has more than enough experience to help you make a good purchase.

Price is not the main factor here....(Paying more for a low hour trike is sometimes better that paying a basement price on an old model :wink: )

Look at the state of the wing and engine. Low time is a big plus here.... a wing replacement or engine overhaul are both very expensive items
Accident history, check logbooks and make sure all repairs (if any) were carried out to acceptable std's. Treat all discrepencies with suspicion... :wink:
Take into account the type and make sure there is sufficient back up servicing and spares available...for airframe and engine!
If the trike is from the coast...pay very careful attention to corrosion! Sometimes it's very difficult to see from the outside.

Bottom line....before you hand over money take someone experienced with you. AP, Instructor or even an experienced pilot to help guide you on the potential problems that may be evident. vhpy

Don't look at an aircraft as an "investment"....believe me... it's not! Look at it as "buying into your passion"...and then decide how much you are willing to spend on that. :)
For a budget of between R80k -R100k...there is good value around at the moment as the market is very flat for the sellers currently.... :wink:

I hanger next door to the Cobra above....contact Mervyn Reynolds or Fanie Deysel at Skyriders...they both know the aircraft well. :) Out of your list above, I'd be paying serious attention to that one as well as the Black Aquilla with the full fairing....but that's just me. ^ (^^) I currently fly an Aquilla myself but have always liked the Cobra's too. (!!)

Happy Shopping and good luck with the rest of your training.

Cheers,
Jon Hewitt
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Jon Hewitt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:21 am

Hi Stefan

my two cents worth , i am also a new pilot , it took me aproxamately a year looking for the right trike , i also had limited funds ,was looking at trikes up to and above 100 k , i eventually found one that was advertised on microlighters ,at microland , it ws a windlass with a 503 , i must say that it was in excellent condition , i paid cash , took it directly to my AP at Barberton ,it passed with flying coulours , not much money was spent .i have done just over 100 hours since the purchase in 11 months ,it is a pull start , i have never had a problem , most of the time it starts on the first pull.i fly down at komatipoort , mostly with my wife 65 kg and have taken some friends +- 90kg , no problem at all .

bought it cash price 28 k , know thats a bargain, would attach a photo if i knew how .

cheers

Jon
Luan
First solo

Postby Luan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:08 am

I too bought a 'cheapie' windlass 503, and she has been very good to me. The flying characteristics of a trike is predominantly affected by the wing, model and surface area. While a heavier cart does have an affect on the handling, much the same way as flying with a pax slightly minimizes the effects of turbulence. I have flown a raptor, aquilla and own a windlass, ranging from 503's to 912, they all have their merits out of all of them I would describe my windlass as nimble. Next the engine, in flying there is no substitute for power with the 582 lining up 65 horses it has a clear advantage over the 503 with 50 horses. This mainly affects your takeoff roll and rate of climb, I would be lying if I said that I have never felt a sinking feeling with a lekker dik passanger and wished for a 582. However for the most part the 503 is more than adequate, and very reliable. It has the following advantages over the 582, its air cooled, so no radiator or plumbing on your trike, it has fewer moving parts like a power plate or water pump, it does have a belt driven cooling fan though. Another consideration is the windlass has a MAUP weight of 400kgs as opposed to 450kgs on newer trikes. Also with the configuration of the pylon, the pax doesn't sit as comfortably as in other trikes. The kicker is the price, the going rate for a 503 windlass really makes it a whole lot of aerie for not a whole lot of price, it is easy and cheap to maintain and in my opinion the perfect trike to get started with, you might even end up never upgrading. The money you save on the plane can be put towards a decent flight-suit and petrol = more time in the air, which at the end of the day is why we do what we do.
Luan
First solo

Postby Luan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:13 am

Hey only saw now that its you mr Vision Tools, good luck with the trike hunting.
burnerli
Looking at the sky

Postby burnerli » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:04 pm

nicow wrote:Stefan
Welcome to our world (^^) (^^) (^^)
Speak to your instructor,don't buy to fast,fly a few and then chose the one you want.
Thanks for advice.. I'm just so exited and want to my trike once I get my license :D
burnerli
Looking at the sky

Postby burnerli » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Bundy wrote:Morning Stefan,

Welcome to the forum. (^^)

All good advice above. I see you based at Kroon so load "Langarm's Nel" into your car and then take him along to go and inspect the trikes you are interested in. (!!) He is always willing to help and has more than enough experience to help you make a good purchase.
Langarm's Nel Is my instructor :D We had some serious fun already :D Thanks a lot for the answer and hopefully see you soon :)
burnerli
Looking at the sky

Postby burnerli » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Luan wrote:I too bought a 'cheapie' windlass 503, and she has been very good to me. The flying characteristics of a trike is predominantly affected by the wing, model and surface area. While a heavier cart does have an affect on the handling, much the same way as flying with a pax slightly minimizes the effects of turbulence. I have flown a raptor, aquilla and own a windlass, ranging from 503's to 912, they all have their merits out of all of them I would describe my windlass as nimble. Next the engine, in flying there is no substitute for power with the 582 lining up 65 horses it has a clear advantage over the 503 with 50 horses. This mainly affects your takeoff roll and rate of climb, I would be lying if I said that I have never felt a sinking feeling with a lekker dik passanger and wished for a 582. However for the most part the 503 is more than adequate, and very reliable. It has the following advantages over the 582, its air cooled, so no radiator or plumbing on your trike, it has fewer moving parts like a power plate or water pump, it does have a belt driven cooling fan though. Another consideration is the windlass has a MAUP weight of 400kgs as opposed to 450kgs on newer trikes. Also with the configuration of the pylon, the pax doesn't sit as comfortably as in other trikes. The kicker is the price, the going rate for a 503 windlass really makes it a whole lot of aerie for not a whole lot of price, it is easy and cheap to maintain and in my opinion the perfect trike to get started with, you might even end up never upgrading. The money you save on the plane can be put towards a decent flight-suit and petrol = more time in the air, which at the end of the day is why we do what we do.
ja Mr. Techtion :-) See you at BMW and speak soon :)
burnerli
Looking at the sky

Postby burnerli » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Jon Hewitt wrote:Hi Stefan

my two cents worth , i am also a new pilot , it took me aproxamately a year looking for the right trike , i also had limited funds ,was looking at trikes up to and above 100 k , i eventually found one that was advertised on microlighters ,at microland , it ws a windlass with a 503 , i must say that it was in excellent condition , i paid cash , took it directly to my AP at Barberton ,it passed with flying coulours , not much money was spent .i have done just over 100 hours since the purchase in 11 months ,it is a pull start , i have never had a problem , most of the time it starts on the first pull.i fly down at komatipoort , mostly with my wife 65 kg and have taken some friends +- 90kg , no problem at all .

bought it cash price 28 k , know thats a bargain, would attach a photo if i knew how .

cheers

Jon

That is bargain :) I will pray for some bargain luck too :D