Helping the Police

Matters of general interest
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Helping the Police

Postby nicow » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:57 am

Did any of you helped the police with your microlight?
Tell us your story-Here is mine...
On Tuesday morning 3July07 at 03h30the police from Naboomspruit phoned me,and asked me if I could help them catch burgulars who is on the run.They broke into a clothing store in Naboomspruit,and also plundered the place.
When the security and police arrived,the criminals flee in a stolen BMW.The security and police chase them,and also contacted the security and police from Potgietersrus and Roedtan.The fugitives rolled the BMW on a dirt road between Roedtan and Potgietersrus,and then scattered into the farms in that area.
That was where the police needed an eye in the sky,and phoned me.
I went to the airfield at about 05h00-preflight,refueled,started,and freezed my b... off.
I was airborn and flew straight to where they told me to start looking for suspicious people on the ground.
After they caught a few of the fugitives,I had to turn back to Potties because I was low on fuel.
The police asked the police chopper to come help them catch the rest.
When the chopper arrived he helped for a few minutes,and left-he could not search and went to Origstad.
Nicow
ZU-AWA
Attachments
3Julie07 006.jpg
3Julie07 006.jpg (89.29 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:29 pm

Well done Nicow! I've read quite a few articles many years ago where police depts from various countries were investigating the use of microlights to aid in their patrols - always wondered why this idea never realized. (Cheap & effective, weather permitting)

Keep well,

Henni
Last edited by Henni on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep grassroot aviation alive!
Quentin Ferreira
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Quentin Ferreira » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:44 pm

Did they donate something to the fuel used....???

Quentin Ferreira
ZU-ATP
Newcastle
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Forget it mate

Postby ZULU1 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:55 pm

My old aerie CEW had some nice bullet holes, I wont get shot for any BMW !
Zulu1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:22 pm

Quentin F
No,they did not donate anything.
Nicow
ZU-AWA
C205
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby C205 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:00 pm

Well done Nicow! I've read quite a few articles many years ago where police depts from various countries were investigating the use of microlights to aid in their patrols - always wondered why this idea never realized. (Cheap & effective, weather permitting)
Henni the business community in Middelburg and Witbank donated a brand new Bantam, a hangar and two PPL's for two policemen. The Bantam flies from Middelburg airfield and is used evry now and again. The fuel is also sponsored by the Community Police Forum.
Attachments
saps.jpg
saps.jpg (54.02 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
Quicksilver MXII ZS-VAP
Quicksilver MXII ZU-BOW
FAWI 123.5
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi J,

Great to hear - those two must surely love their job. (Where do I apply :lol: ) Beautiful Bantam!

Regards,

Henni (Looking forward to some serious flying again this weekend!)
Keep grassroot aviation alive!
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Re: Forget it mate

Postby ACE » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:45 pm

ZULU1 wrote:My old aerie CEW had some nice bullet holes, I wont get shot for any BMW !
Zulu1
Hope you were sitting on a phone book to minimise the risk of a bullet in the bum :shock:

Seriously tho' it's gratifying to hear that a few more criminals are bust - well done :D
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Bennie Vorster » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:48 pm

Now this is the type of thing we need to hear more of on this forum.

=D* =D* =D* (^^) =D* =D* =D*
Growing old is far more dangerous than flying !!!
Bennie Vorster
083 277 5110
Thunderboy
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thunderboy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:10 pm

It's great if you can help

Just a little dampener
If you are insured and you read the fine print of your policy you will see a clause against assisting the police, doing game counts etc... :?
Thunderbird ZU-ECX
swiftprop
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby swiftprop » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:19 pm

Well done! Just think how effective widespread eyes in the sky can be if used properly!
cornell
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby cornell » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:15 am

Looked for a missing person many years ago. Eventually found him next to a river with a broken back and crushed skull. What happened is that after they hijacked him they threw a large rock on his back then on his skull and threw him down the cliff. :evil: Very sad to tell the family that was waiting for news.

Also been tasked to look for hijacked cars found most of them and also stolen cattle.
Petrol attendent in training
Dre'man
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Dre'man » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:31 am

I haven't assisted from the air yet but flattened a car hijacker running away from the cops with my quad. Have also assisted local security company with searches in the surrounding veld close to home.
Flying below power lines on DS650X
And above in nothing
"Too much power is just enough"
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Police assistance

Postby John Boucher » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:34 am

2 Stories....

About 4 years ago, an ex-policemen went on a shooting rampage with an R-5 assault rifle and a 9mm pistol in Postmasburg, killing 3 and injuring about 14 people. Was closing up my business when this took place. I watched in total dismay as he casually walked across to a shopping centre and let rip. I was unarmed at the time, rushed home, fetched my R4 (was a member of the now defunct reaction unit) and went to assist. A 2 & half hour car chase ensued in the street and vicinity of Postmasburg. The local police was in a total state of shock. A further shootout was prevented when I arrested the guy in Beeshoek, 8km from Postmasburg. He was sentenced to life in the Kimberley Supreme Court.

Was nicknamed Johnny Bravo after this......

Have assisted the Police airwing (the chap that flies the Porter was my PPL instructor in Kimberley - owns Kimberley Flying School) with cattle locating in unison with the Stock theft branch. Also offered my assistance with my Cheetah should they require it....
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Guzz
First solo

Postby Guzz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:06 am

I was at Microland for training on 15 June this year. Skyriders got a call from a distressed father asking us to help look for his son. Apparently the kid was driving home between Pretoria and Delmas the previous night, fell asleep and rolled the car. He woke up stuck under the car, couldn't move, but managed to reach his cellphone. All he could see were some Poplar trees and could hear a road in the background, but had no idea where he was.

The four trikes at Microland went on a Search and Rescue, but returned without success. Upon landing we got a call that the paramedics found the guy on Garsfontein road. Luckily unhurt! :)

Must admit, was very exciting!