DH and crew want to duck...

Matters of general interest
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

DH and crew want to duck...

Postby DarkHelmet » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:10 am

We are considering throwing in the towel on SA and relocating abroad. At every opportunity we are asked how BEE our 1 man businesses are and we are amongst the best in our fields but since we are not BEE we cannot get the work.

We are most keen on Oz or the US and any pointers anyone can fling my way will be appreciated.

DH
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:40 am

Come to Western Australia DH - lots of opportunity here at the moment ou maat. Now is the time to make a move. I can send you a couple of job websites if you want otherwise just use Google Australia. Unemployment is less than 3.8% in WA (about 4.5% overall in Oz) at the moment and the Sunday paper is still thick with job offers. There are masses of ex-SAs in Perth - Afrikaans is the second most spoken language in my project office so you don't even feel like a stranger here.

I can't speak on the US but it is very easy to adapt to the Oz lifestyle because it is so much like your own in SA (without the high fences, alarms, security guards, etc, etc). They even sell Mrs Balls chutney and rooibos tea in the shops. Only thing I miss is family and mountains - die plek is plat!

Shout if you want any specific advice - most of the info you require is freely available on the internet.

I might even be able to arrange hangar space for you!
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:41 am

Sad to see that.

What sort of business are you involved in?

Make sure you take a plane with that place is moer of big bru.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:39 am

Darkness, stop die bus my china

If BEE is your only concern than stop worrying. Having recently received extensive training on BEE this is something that I know a little about. The new BBBEE (Broad based Black economic empowerenment) scoring system (to be implemented very soon) developed in conjunction with the DTI is different to the may things used to work.

Every company will have a score based on ownership, employee equity, preferential procurement, skills development and a bunch of other things. Without getting too technical, both your and your softness's bussiness will be clasified as Micro entitities and you will be exempt from alot of the requirements.

The most important thing is that large corporates BBBEE score will be influenced by preferential procurement by 20% of the 100% score. Thus, there score can be 20% higher if they are procuring from black owned companies....Here is the trick, if they are procuring from a 'micro' enterprise such as yours it counts just as much as if they were buying from a black company. Thus the incentive is there for bussiness to use you because it will influence their BEE score positively.

Make sense? If not phone me and relax :D

D
Big D
ForensicFlyer
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

BEE and other stuff...

Postby ForensicFlyer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:14 am

Dark Helmet, bru...

I mst tell you that it was an honor flying with you and I realy enjoyed your company. Even Jackie is somewhat jealous (read dissapointed) that you are contemplating the move...

But - I support you 1000. I am NOT fully anti - SA, and we JUST got a contract with National Department of Transport (RTMC), and I assure you, the EQUITY thing came up again.

And as Big-D said, only 20% was about "equity."

So - what I am sayig is, it's ALL the same now. You will easily qualify - especially with the non-white dominated employment profile you are able to have...

But... And here's the but...

Jackie and I spent a year in Vanouver, BC, Canada.

Let it be known that there is no better place for us. We fel more like we "miss home" here now, than we did when we were there

I have tavelled extensively across North America (Washington DC, Rockville MD, Toledo OH, Detroit MI, Mineapolis/St. Paul MN, Los Angeles/San Fransisco CA, Seattle WA) and then in Canada I saw all of and aroud Vancouver and Hope, Seskatchewan, etc.

Point is - if you've been abroad, you realize just how little there is on offer here!

I have two cousins and some friends in Oz, one of my investigators is now in the UK and I talk to MANY people all over the world, all the time...

And there is no better place than... Well - there are MANY better places than home.

Now - don't get me wrong - many people are very happy here. There are nice people here, and families, etc. But, when the chips are down, and you want to live a "better life" all round - there are greener pastures indeed.

You might recall the chat we had with the 747 Pilot and others at Harties before we left?

I am up in Gau from Thu, as you know. If you wanna hook up and ask questions/advice/opinions, etc. just shout.

Oh and I don't see it as "throwing in the towel..." Stayin here, jailing your hildren indoors, putting up high electrified fences and refusing to go everywhere is, in my opinion, throwing in the towel... And bowing to crime.

You know what I am like. I go where I want and brandish my .45. Let'em come... I am ready...

Stan.

Well - there you go. My 2c worth...
Stan Bezuidenhout
IBF Investigations South Africa
"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!"
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:16 am

Thanks Cloud Warrior - I will poke around the net a bit.

Agent - I do desktop and server support and sales. Have my own small bus with 3 staff. Other half is in software development.

Big D - BEE is not the only issue...

We are still looking at the options and a full on decision is still a way off.