Tranistioning from trikes to powerless flight: Hanggliding, or Paragliding?

Matters of general interest
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Tranistioning from trikes to powerless flight: Hanggliding, or Paragliding?

Postby Asterix » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:45 am

I'll be taking up one of the two in 2021. Questions remain..

Put aside the ease of transport factor - where obviously paragliders win.

Also assume that I am not new to flight.

What does a former trike pilot pursue, once he wants to get into unpowered flight? Hangglider - or Paraglider? (excluding gliders - I can only afford lap en pyp.)

xxx
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Tranistioning from trikes to powerless flight: Hanggliding, or Paragliding?

Postby Jean Crous » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:25 am

Asterix, try motorgliders, especially the SF25 Motorfalke. Not expensive to run and great fun.
Jean
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
CommanderKeen
Signed up at flight school

Re: Tranistioning from trikes to powerless flight: Hanggliding, or Paragliding?

Postby CommanderKeen » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi Asterix

Sorry I am only replying now, but I just saw your thread now.

From a control perspective hang gliding is closest to what you are used to on a trike.

I am biased towards hang gliding. I have done a course a few years ago, and will hopefully be getting back into it again this year. One thing that has put me off paragliding is the possibility of the wing collapsing in flight (it has happened to a friend of mine). I know the newest gliders have reduced the risk of this happening and are designed to right themselves if it does, but it still puts me off. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I think it will depend on where you live, where you intend to fly, what type of flying you intend to do, etc. For example if you live in Gauteng and want to do hang gliding form a mountain, you can't (but I think there are some sites for paragliding), unless you travel to the Lowveld or elsewhere to go fly. The hang gliding in Gauteng is done at Aviator's Paradise near Brits where they do aero towing. The three hang gliding schools I know of are in Gauteng (Aviator's Paradise mentioned before), Cape Town, and Wilderness.

You are welcome to PM me for more info on hang gliding (the little I do know!). I also have some contacts who could help with paragliding as well.

John

PS: Hang gliding and paragliding is so completely different to any other form of flying. Once you have tried it you will always want more!