NEW FLYER, LOOKING FOR INFO!!

Matters of general interest
Vluys
Slow starter

NEW FLYER, LOOKING FOR INFO!!

Postby Vluys » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi everyone

I'm looking to fly for the first time, at first did not even know difference between weight shifting microlights and 3 axis microlights!

So I would like to know what brand or model microlight, or should I say ultralight, would be best in safety, reliability, easy to transport and of course, VERY COST EFFECTIVE for me to own? I have been looking at a Challenger 2 for R130000, but not sure what to look for when buying a 2nd hand aircraft?

Looking to buy first and get starting on my LSA licence?

Any input wil be much appreciated!
Thank you
Nacho
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Re: NEW FLYER, LOOKING FOR INFO!!

Postby Nacho » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Step 1, decide why you want to fly and what type of flying you want to do. Recreational, Sat and Sunday fun flips, or do you want to do far trips i.e 300km and more.
Step 2, budget. You can pick up a nice entry level trike for R50k, while CCM aircraft's are more expensive. R130k for an entry level machine.
Step 3, if you want ease of transport a trike is by far the easiest.
Step 4, most aircraft's are great and all went through VERY stringent testing for many years, so almost all of them are safe, how safe depends on the pilot. So get your training done and get your experience up.

Remember the view always stays the same, no matter what you fly. My thoughts will be to start with what you can afford. You will get 100 different opinions on your question, but no one can make the final choice but you. Go for a flip with a trike and with a normal fixed wing aircraft and make you own mind up after that. Good luck with your decision and be safe.
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)