Using iPad/iPhone for navigation

Matters of general interest
rcbgreen
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Using iPad/iPhone for navigation

Postby rcbgreen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm

I love using the AirNav pro app on an iPhone/iPad but the one issue I have is glare on the screen and general unsuitability of these screens in sunlight. Has anyone tried an anti-glare screen protector in these devices with any decent results. Or other suggestions as dedicated GPS units although easier to read are expensive with small displays and generally function poor in comparison.
Rob Green
ZU-DMB Raptor
ZU-BWT Aquilla
ZU-TLV RV12
wackomedic911
First solo

Re: Using iPad/iPhone for navigation

Postby wackomedic911 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 pm

rcbgreen wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm
I love using the AirNav pro app on an iPhone/iPad but the one issue I have is glare on the screen and general unsuitability of these screens in sunlight. Has anyone tried an anti-glare screen protector in these devices with any decent results. Or other suggestions as dedicated GPS units although easier to read are expensive with small displays and generally function poor in comparison.
interesting, I dont have that problem, I fly with my ipad mini 4 on a kneeboard in my trike. did a excellent job on my Botswana trip in May.
I fully agree, airnav PRO for the win, it really is a GPS killer in my eyes. (^^)
ZU-CEK
Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.

— Amelia Earhart
rcbgreen
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: Using iPad/iPhone for navigation

Postby rcbgreen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:00 am

Maybe the difference is the model, I am using an old iPad mini 2, where the mini 4 has the Retina display. I just know that when it is tucked into my flight suit thigh pocket the glare is bad. Or go back to using a knee pad so I don’t have that extra layer of plastic on the screen. Thanks.
Rob Green
ZU-DMB Raptor
ZU-BWT Aquilla
ZU-TLV RV12