Microphone wind noise

Matters of general interest
wackomedic911
First solo

Microphone wind noise

Postby wackomedic911 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi guys...
I need some help from the more clever, and the older guys here please.
So, currently I fly with a open helmet, and use a GT flycom headset.

BUT, the wind keeps triggering my intercom, even with squelch set to its highest. I am figuring I need a bigger mike muff, but i have no idea where to look! is there any other fixes I can look at?
I really like the open helmet (Praetor) especially in the summer, but the wind noise is driving me mental! (**)

thanks in advance. (^^)
ZU-CEK
Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.

— Amelia Earhart
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Microphone wind noise

Postby DarkHelmet » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:16 pm

A sponge from a pill bottle with a hole drilled with a soldering iron or warmed up screw driver, else "steal" some cotton swabs from your wife's "night" routine and wrap that around and tie it down with an elastic band.
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:41 am

I am not a big fan of "wind in my face". I have a balaclava with a slit cut in the side and I feed the mike through. These new buffs are all the rage now and you could do the same with a buff.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Stan
Ready for the first flight

Postby Stan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:42 pm

I do wildlife surveys hanging out the back of a helicopter and use a disposable dust mask that you buy at a hardware store. It works real well. DH's plan with the sponge should work. Maybe just add something to stop the wind from the front.
wackomedic911
First solo

Postby wackomedic911 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 am

so feedback on this...me dad was a military man, and a manged to find some old parade gloves, leather of course.... cut of the thumb, cut a small hole in it on side, cable tie it to the mic boom, over the current muff, problem solved it seems! thanks everyone!
ZU-CEK

— Amelia Earhart
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:16 pm

wackomedic911 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 am
so feedback on this...me dad was a military man, and a manged to find some old parade gloves, leather of course.... cut of the thumb, cut a small hole in it on side, cable tie it to the mic boom, over the current muff, problem solved it seems! thanks everyone!
Thats a great idea- thanks wackomedic911. Something similar is available from aviation engines and accessories but the price put me off . My wind issue is predominately captured by the pax mic so ive resorted to unplugging the pax every time i needed to broadcast.... i guess im off to the hardware shop for a pair of pigskin welding gloves soon (^^) (^^)
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
wackomedic911
First solo

Postby wackomedic911 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Thats a great idea- thanks wackomedic911. Something similar is available from aviation engines and accessories but the price put me off . My wind issue is predominately captured by the pax mic so ive resorted to unplugging the pax every time i needed to broadcast.... i guess im off to the hardware shop for a pair of pigskin welding gloves soon (^^) (^^)
[/quote]

we had the same issue....but my mrs seems to think its just because I didnt want her japping in my ear ($$)
hence having to find a fix :wink:
ZU-CEK

— Amelia Earhart