Bushbaby 582 as a first aircraft

Matters of general interest
Skystriker
Heard about flying

Bushbaby 582 as a first aircraft

Postby Skystriker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:46 am

Hi All,

I am new to this flying thing and busy completing my PPL. I am looking for a cheapy aircraft to purchase soon and the 582 bushbaby's seem to fit the bill in terms of purchase price and utility for what I want (budget around R200k max). My mission is pretty much going to be round the patch kind of flying, with the odd trip around 300km's in distance.

So my questions:
1. Do the 582's perform reasonably well up on the reef at Gross weight?
2. Reliability - Have heard horror stories of the 582's, but have no experience with them. Is this engine in the bushbaby reliable -will be flying with my kids so this is high priority for me!

Sky.
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Bushbaby 582 as a first aircraft

Postby JvTonder » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:25 am

It is an excellent plane and nothing wrong with the 582 motor if maintained properly and correctly. So far the performance up here the best would be to speak to Stefan form KFA at Petit, they build them and he as the best experience with the various types off motors. He even has one for sale that might fit your budget if he completes it for you. My first plane was also a Bushbaby but with 912xtra in, never should have sold it!
Flying feeds the soul!
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Bushbaby 582 as a first aircraft

Postby bobthebuilder » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 pm

It's the best tail dragger to learn on. Don't listen to the hangar talk about tail draggers. If the WW2 fighter pilots could fly them with limmited hours under their belts, so can you. Wonderful aeroplane. The 582 engine, while very dependable, may suffer a bit with a big PAX. Apart from that, DO IT! DO IT!

And .... You should get your money back when you decide to sell.
Byron Kirkland