Getting started - Complete noob needs info.

Matters of general interest
FDB
Looking at the sky

Getting started - Complete noob needs info.

Postby FDB » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:06 am

Hi guys.
I have been looking at getting into microlighting now for many many many years.
The Kids are heading to Varsity soon so they are now big enough for me to start perusing it.
I’m doing a bit of homework and am reading as many posts on here as I can.
It would however be very helpful if someone can give some updated figures on those hidden costs noobs don’t think about when getting into the sport.
Training and eventually buying a trike aside.. What fees/expenses should one expect? (I’m just trying to get to an average monthly cost of ownership figure).
Things like:
Hangar costs
Insurance (Trike and impact on life insurance)
Inspections
Fees
Services
Etc.
I just need an updated figure. I have found some old posts about some of the costs but they might be a bit outdated.

Then, from what I read on here, you guys suggest a intro flight first, then getting the license, then patiently waiting for – and buying the trike. This makes perfect sense.
Training is easy. I am very close to Rhino Park, so i will go knock on their doors some time this month.
Few questions though. When I do buy, what should one aim for in a first trike (Second-hand)? I see a lot of trikes are pull start. Would it make sense to buy an electric start? What hours (Engine and frame) are deemed “too much”? What brands are well supported here? (Rotax motors, Windlass and Aquilla wings it seems are most supported here based on what I read here?)
I plan to mostly use the trike for eventual touring type flying with the wife. (Going places with it and landings would often be on game farms, etc. (I have family with game farms)). Me and wifey will soon have an empty nest so this might become our thing. (I do suspect she will demand her own trike if the bug bites but hey)

Sorry about all the dumb questions. Just trying to figure this all out.
I cannot find a “Getting started” article.
:)
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Re: Getting started - Complete noob needs info.

Postby Air Hog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:20 am

Hi
I would suggest you go and speak to Alex Rudd at the Trike flying school at Rhinopark. He is the owner/Chief Flying instructor at the school. He would be able to answer all your questions.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 am

Hi FDB,

Welcome to the Sport! (^^)

Here are some figures for you to mull over....based on my own experience. :)

Cost of trike: Anything between R40k and R100k (depends on what you looking for and the age of the machine)
Cost of licence: Most people do approx. 25-35hrs training and this will set you back approx. R35k on average
Medical: Depending on your age, Class 4 medical done every 3-5 years at approx R1100.00
Annual admin fees: Inspections, ATF fees, AeCSA fees....work on approx R2000-R2500 per year.
Pilot Licence Renewal: Done every 2 years with your instructor, including RAASA fees its about R2000 every 2 years.
Insurance: We have fully comprehensive Flying Insurance at a cost of R734 per month on a R100k aerie (scary expensive! :shock: )
Hanger cost: Approx R650-R850 per month depending on the location.
Running costs: You can work on a dry running cost (no fuel) of R200 per hour which will cover your average day to day maintenance
Fuel cost: Most trikes burn approx 10-12L per hour of operation.

There are a multitude of schools to choose from but location is important too. Rhino has excellent training...as does Skyriders (Microland bapsfontein) where I am based. Book an intro and take it from there.
Try avoid pull start, believe me you wont be sorry! :wink:
Up on the Highveld I recommend an trike with a 582 engine, the extra horses make a huge difference!
I would stick to Trikes which have back up service and parts availability....Aquilla/windlass are very common and easily sourced in terms of spares etc etc. Great first trike choice....just my personal opinion. :wink:
I always recommend doing your training first....then buying a trike. Spend a few hours in the school plane and this will give you far more knowledge and practical experience to be able to make an informed decision regarding what plane to buy and in effect commit to.

Either way...if you are a novice, make sure you take someone experienced with you when choosing a trike! There are many bargains out there...and just as many "lemons"! :roll:
Make sure all the paperwork is up to date and beware buying a plane that is immenentlly due for a major service as you may have to fork out a lot of money to keep the aerie airworthy... Most instructors are more than happy to help you make a good choice, and listen to their advice even if your gut says otherwise. The "graybeards" have been around the block many times... :)

Best of luck!

Kind Regards,
Last edited by Bundy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:49 am

The Microland gang (Tailwinds) have a social get together every 3rd Sat of the Month.
First one is this Sat Jan 21st and starts at about 09h30.
Bring a dop n chop and you will meet a lot of pilots there who are always more than willing to share their knowledge and will also open up their hangers to let you see what they fly....and why. :)

You more than welcome to join us. (^^)
Dusty Crophopper
Found a flight school

Postby Dusty Crophopper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Noob,

Welcome to the wonderful world of flying. I also went through the same scenario 2 years ago. Kids out of my pocket (so I thought) and now it's time for dad to spend his pension on himself a bit. Two things to take careful note of that is not so obvious: 1. Being a bit older, you will probably take much longer to get your licence. Budget for this.(Google the issue of older student pilots taking longer to get licences and why it happens) 2. Your current life insurance will load your premiums quite a bit (Discovery loaded my policy premiums by 60% even though I had been doing motor racing for over 10 years prior to starting microlighting! They would not budge, so I moved my personal liFe insurance to PPS who had no limitations on adventure activities) The point is, talk to your personal life insurers before you get caught out like I did.

My 2 cents.

Enjoy your new view on what life can be!!
coline
First solo

Postby coline » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:55 pm

I would suggest you stop trying to budget to see if you can afford to do it! Just go for the intro flight and then get your medical and start training. You will be hooked so from then on you focus on getting the most flying out of your bucks. Buy the best plane that fits your wallet and as soon as you can. Training on your own plane saves money. Years ago when the first GT450s arrived in our land we all oogled over them very jealously and that's when the truest of aviation trueisms was spoken. "Hey boet, no matter how much the aerie costs, the view is still the same"

As Nike says, Just do it!

Coline