Resignation as Chairman (Resolved)

Matters of general interest
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Resignation as Chairman

Postby alanmack » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:09 am

Hello,

I see that the moderators of Microlighters have made this matter the number one item. It ranks above the welcome to the blog. I agree the matters at hand are important and urge you to consider and comment on my point of view. I have not entered this debate, until now, as I felt that some of the comments were made at a personal level rather than by addressing the principles at stake. In these circumstances, I felt that it was best to allow matters to settle so that we can dig much deeper into the heart of these matters. At the core is the question of who is MISASA and what should we stand for?

To start, I am not fully briefed on all the specific allegations but believe that I understand the concerns of some. I have been told that four e-mails objecting to my last "Editor Unplugged" review have been received from the about 1,400 sent out to current and past members. I have received two of these and have responded to them and have shared my response with the full committee. Others have offered their points of view on this forum that is officially recognised by MISASA as the preferred microlighting blog. I proposed this matter some years back when we stepped in to assist Microlighters with a financial contribution.

It was asserted that I adopted the "Editor Unplugged" banner for the newsletter and that I have no right to be critical of the services that you, the membership receive from our service providers.

Firstly, let me address the "Editor Unplugged" matter. It is not new it is the fundamental basis upon which I accepted to be the Editor of your magazine. Some fifteen years ago I accepted the post of the Editor of Microflight Africa on the understanding that I would have the right to the freedom of speech. At the outset, I established the desk of the "Editor Unplugged". In tandem, I established the "Feather" and "Wally" awards. I have made a few dozen Feather Awards and two Wally Awards. These have been issued by me, and it is me, not the committee, that is accountable for telling it, as I see it. It was only, as a compromise, demanded by a previous Chairman, as a condition of him accepting my nomination as Chairman of MISASA that I agreed to stand for appointment to the committee. Please scroll down on the MISASA website Home Page to the headings Communications and Awards to read more on these matters. I urge you to read the home page, and I ask that you note that these awards are constructive and are designed to improve services to the membership. Note also that I have not issued a "Lovable Wally" award for some time.

If MISASA removes my editorial right to a freedom of speech to defend the rights and interests of the membership, as I see fit, then the current committee will not share the values held dear by the MISASA committees that have been in office for, at least, the past fifteen years.

Those holding office in MISASA for the past decade and a half have upheld my editorial policy. The full policy is printed on page 27 of the last magazine. Please read it. If you do not have a copy it is a flipbook on the MISASA website in the blog.

Certainly, we need to sort this matter out. Alex Rudd, a previous Chairman of MISASA, has been calling for clarity on the fundamental principles for which MISASA stands. Until recently Alex held office as your Safety Officer. Over this matter, Alex has resigned, and the position of Safety Officer is vacant. Please consider volunteering your services to fill these very big shoes. Alex is a mature doyen of microlighting and his wisdom will surely be missed when it comes to representing you at the CAA.

The next matter that I seek to clarify for you is my position on the stakeholders that should service our needs. In other words, who do I believe should do what? I am loyal to MISASA, RAASA, CAA and the Aero Club but do not confuse loyalty with my editorial obligations to our members. I persuaded JB and DH to join the Committee, I proposed RK for her appointment to the Aero Club board and I support every individual on the committee but there is a pressing matter that Alex Rudd felt strongly, as do I, about. We need affirmation and consensus on our vision and the strategy to achieve it.

The CAA and RAASA are public entities charged to regulate but also to serve your interests. In a democracy, it is the people who are in charge, and they vote for representatives to represent their interests. As a collective of some 1,000 pilots we have a right to service delivery, and as a representative body, it is a fundamental duty of ours to guard the rights and interests of microlight pilots. One of my editorial aims is: Offering constructive appraisal of the status of our quest for the "Freedom of Flight" within South Africa.

In a post on 22 September, the following was quoted, and it would seem that clarity on my position is sought.

"Further to the above, MISASA is committed to an outcome that sees pilot peer pressure as the driving force to compliance. It hopes that RAASA and the CAA will cross the floor and work with us to build a future where there is mutual respect and a joint drive to earn the support of pilots in exerting the peer pressure needed to command safe skies."

I stand by the above comment and affirm that there is only one of me... even though my bathroom scale may disagree! I believe that the CAA, RAASA and MISASA should speak with one voice and that there should be clarity about the roles that each should play.

The nub of this matter is that I believe that our skies should be free. I believe that as a solo pilot we should follow the lead of other nations and not even require a solo microlight pilot to have a licence. I have written about this in past magazines. We keep generating rules instead of guidelines. We should educate not police. MISASA should offer services and not be an enforcement authority. Pilots should self-regulate and fellow pilots should ensure that they follow and are educated on what will keep them alive in the sky. Peer pressure at an airfield level on what's right must be the supported. We keep moving to more rules and the latest being threats of ramp inspections. Have the ramp inspections but educate - why not offer a lecture on why the ramp inspection list is important. I believe that pilots are an intelligent bunch and if there is an appeal, their intellect will respond positively. Threaten to ground them, fine them, etc. and they will just stay away - it's what they did.

Allow me two examples. A little while ago there was a fuss on AVCOM about a matter. Pierre Laubser, from RAASA responded and went into some detail to explain and educate the bloggers on the matter. I take my hat off to him it was done well, it earned my respect and I am sure that of others. At the end of last year, I went to see a senior executive at RAASA about the requirements for the event at Kitty Hawk that was postponed to Tedderfield. I had taken a German microlight pilot and world champion base jumper there to sort out an ATF as he had bought a microlight from me and needed the ATF to cross the border the next day to Botswana where it was to be reregistered. I was sent packing. Literally, I was dressed down without literally being allowed the opportunity to utter one word. Incidentally, on the microlight matter the German pilot was required to join and pay full Aero Club and MISASA fees for 2015 and for 2016 before the ATF that he needed for one day was issued. The upshot of it was that I did not return to RAASA for clarity on the requirements for a fly-in.

Next, I need to address the "Editor Unplugged" e-mail that offended some.

I contrasted the service delivery of a lady from the council, who not only offered us the SASREA Certificate form but pulled up a chair, in our meeting, and filled in the form for us. The next morning she took it to the SAPS Colonel, who went with her to see other service providers on our behalf. Between the Tedderfield Committee, TAF, SAPS and the Council they ensured that all were compliant, and we went the extra mile to make sure that we met with each and every request.

I never named the CAA nor RAASA in the e-mail. This is no accident. I was not in a position to verify the source of the SMS's but some committee members confirmed their authenticity. I received a stream of SMS's days before the event about all the requirements that were needed and what was going to happen to the pilots that attended. In the end, we even had to pay R2,000 for the Marquee pegs to be inspected, but in a display of effective teamwork, we met with every one, of a huge list of requirements ( at great cost in time and money to us, TAF and Tedderfield) to hold a fly-in and static display of aircraft. I have organised (with the committee) four highly successful, well-attended events like this in past years and given the new rules I am of the opinion that MISASA, the CAA and RAASA were shown up by the local council and the SAPS. I found out, days before the event, that members of the MISASA Committee were briefed by a lawyer at RAASA about all the new requirements and that the necessary procedure was followed for another event. I believe that the oversight of not sharing this knowledge with me a month before the event is a matter that the committee needs to explain.

In summary, I believe that the CAA and RAASA must regulate and be held accountable for service delivery. I believe that MISASA should stand to uphold the rights and interests of its members and I believe that the Editor of your magazine should have the freedom of speech to have an "Editor Unplugged" newsletter which at the moment, has been suspended pending clarity on what the vision and strategy of MISASA is.

Fly safe and enjoy every airbourne moment,
Nemo
aka The Editor
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
TimJan
Thinking of flying

Re: Resignation as Chairman

Postby TimJan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:56 pm

Dis nou 'n lang storie... maar soos ek dit verstaan is die wet op openbare sportfunksies ensovoorts (SASREA) al etlike jare in werking en dus nie iets nuuts nie.

Daar is dood eenvoudig wette en reels wat aan gehoor gegee moet word - of jy as individu or organisasie daarmee stem of nie!

Dit wil voorkom of party mense nie aan 'n hoër gesag wil bieg nie of die proses wil nakom nie.
As die son sak oor die vlaktes
Versoet ons die belofte & warmte met
Brannies & Eish, ja, met Eish!
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Resignation as Chairman (Resolved)

Postby John Boucher » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Good afternoon everyone

Just a short announcement.

After an internal process followed by the committee I have been re-elected as Chairman of MISASA for the remainder of the current term.

Donald Hicks, who is vice Chairman was unable to fill the position due to work commitments and I agreed to make myself available for the position again.

The first order of business will be that the committee has a one-on-one meeting that will be called shortly and secondly that complaints that have been lodged be addressed.

Thank you to all the folk & members that have highlighted positives and negatives, criticism, appreciation and support!!! (^^)

Regards

John Boucher
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:35 pm

Fantastic John. Really good to hear.
Regards,
Vernon.
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:45 pm

That is great news, John.

You certainly have my support.

It is my sincere hope that the megalomaniac who continues to plague the MISASA committee decides to take a long slow walk into the sunset!
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
TimJan
Thinking of flying

Postby TimJan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:07 pm

Man, dit is nou uitstekende nuus! (^^)

Dit is duidelik dat jy John Boucher, die vertroue van 'n klomp mense het - wel gedaan.

Julle het nou seker heelwat struikelblokke en probleme om te oorkom en uit te sorteer... ## ##

Baie sterkte vir jou en die res van die komitee en die pad vorentoe!
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:10 am

This is a blog and normally blog moderators maintain adherence to a discussion on the topic without allowing individuals to get personal. Also, the topic should have relevance - this one should be on governance. It has nothing to do with JB. Relax, I take no offence at the personal attacks other than that they do affect some. For instance, John Comley has a style of posting questions that had an influence on our last safety officer resigning. Clearly, you also want me to resign John. After 15 years of producing magazines here is my offer. John, volunteer for the position of safety officer and pledge one day a week to assist the members and I will resign. Next, as an alternative, volunteer to spend about six to eight weeks a year, full-time gathering (and, at times, begging) for mag content and I too will hand you my chair. I do it not because I have to but because I enjoy it.

Thank you for this comment, TimJan.
Dit wil voorkom of party mense nie aan 'n hoër gesag wil bieg nie of die proses wil nakom nie.
You are correct. I simply cannot understand why, at a club fly-in, we must pay R2,000 to have the tent pegs inspected. Also, let me explain. I believe in the freedom of flight, but this is a complex topic. In brief, I believe that the space between aircraft should be governed. I believe that when aircraft are commercial, they should be governed. I believe that a solo pilot and his aircraft should be completely free of all rules. I believe that our manufacturers should be able to develop in this "free space" without having to spend a fortune in time and money on getting every nut, bolt and the rest approved.

In the last year, the amount of time and money that has gone into making more rules is significant, and MISASA has helped. This is fine, but there is no balance. We have also spent time and money on BEE and on finding worthy black people to get a sponsored microlight licence. This too is fine, but there is no balance. Remember you are paying for these things.

What is the balancing ingredient? It is aviation development. What have we as MISASA, the CAA and RAASA done about aviation development? We, in South Africa, have the potential to be leaders in light sport aviation development. We could be an aviation incubator because we have the people that can make it happen.

What do we have to do to succeed? In my opinion, we have to stop making rules about pilots and their planes, and we need to promote the freedom of thought which we as the CAA, RAASA and MISASA should encourage.

Specifically, as an example, if we took thirty people to an incubator for a few days, divided them into six groups of five, with no rules and we asked them what we could do to create aviation related jobs in South Africa? I bet we would have inspired at least six ideas that would create jobs and turn us into the African Aviation Incubator.

Here is a draft list of thirty aviators who could make it happen: Alex Rudd, Andrew Pappas, Andy Kasperson, Boet Loubser, Brian Young, Bruce McDonald, Craig Lang, Evgueny Zakharov, Fred Blockland, Hans Schouten, James Bentley, James Pitman, Jean D'assonville, Jenya Zozulya, John Waterson, Louis Jordaan, Luigi Fincati, Luigi Fincati, Mike Blyth, Mike Gill, Niren Chokoti, Phillip Cronje, Pieter de Necker, Rainer Friebose, Ranier Lamers, Richard Stubbs, Rob McFie, Stefan Coetzee and Terry Pappas. There is experience, a diversity of skills, incredible talent and I bet your first thought is of who have I left out? You will notice that I left a spot for your suggestion! If you thought that, then that is great as it shows the depth of talent that we have.

I do not expect you to agree with me but these are my views, and I have not changed them in many years. If you want more rules that is fine but you see Bureaucrats have a tendency to make rules as they may see that it ensures their future whereas they should have a dedicated focus on providing services and us, as a representative organisation, should represent your right to receive them.
NEMO
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:51 am

PS - I have just had a phone call impolitely asking if I want to put the flight schools out of business? Just because I believe that a solo pilot needs no license, aircraft inspection and authority to fly does not mean that I think pilots who cannot fly will take to the skies in death traps! What will happen is that pilots and their airfield buddies will discuss safety, manufacturers will experiment, aviation and aircraft will become cheaper and more people will fly. There are incredibly cheap aircraft made around the world and we could make them here, even cheaper. Flight schools would not suffer the expectation that a student can fly in 25 hours and students will focus on ability, for it alone, will keep them alive. Believe me wannabe pilots will still go for training and flight schools will be free to put forward 25, 50, 75 and 100 hour programs with impact and safety outcomes for each. Many do not believe that there is such a thing as an advanced NPL - I believe that there should be. If there was, who would want it - I believe many would. With cheap solo entry to aviation we would attract many more to our sport and many of these would upgrade their planes and skills. QED.
NEMO
TimJan
Thinking of flying

Postby TimJan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:35 pm

My verwysing na "diegene wat nie aan 'n hoer gesag wil bieg nie" is nou miskien heel verdraai. Dit wil voorkom die organiseerders wou nie die wette wat al in 2010 ingestel is nie aan gehoor gee en erger nou, ongelukkig omdat die CAA wel binne hulle mandaat ernstige riglyne gegee het. Dit is nie nuwe wette soos wat jy na verwys nie NEMO.... lees gerus die artikel. Ek vra nou 'n onskuldige vraag ... was hierdie maatreels dan nie in plek vir julle ander groot suksesvolle geleenthede nie?

http://www.pro-systems.co.za/news/live- ... 303684.htm

According to Deon Francis, director at Eversheds, the Safety at Sports and Recreation Events Act 2 of 2010 (SASREA) places onerous obligations on controlling bodies, event organisers, sponsors and venue owners to ensure safety and security at events. Failure to comply can result in event cancellation or stakeholders being held liable to criminal sanction. In this regard, the SASREA makes it compulsory for these event organisers to have public liability insurance, yet compliance with these requirements is not near the levels it should be.

“One might think that the SASREA came into effect due to impetus from the FIFA World Cup, but it was as a result of a recommendation of a Commission of Enquiry into the Ellis Park disaster of 2001. This Act sets about to ensure the safety and physical well-being of all persons attending sports, recreation and similar events,” he says.

Much like the Consumer Protection Act (CPA) where manufacturer, importer, distributor, wholesaler and retailer are each responsible to the consumer for redress, now those involved in an event can be found jointly and severally liable for failure to comply with the Act. In response to the public liability cover required for events, Aon South Africa has an Event Liability Scheme designed specifically for events.

“It is important that your insurer is aware of the nature of the event and companies should not rely on their usual business liability to protect them against event risks. SASREA does not stipulate the amount of public liability insurance but it is strongly advised that the organiser, venue owner, sponsor and anyone else who has a material interest in the event arrange their own cover to protect their respective interests. Companies have up until now relied on the event organiser to put a policy in place, but as each entity in the chain can now be joined in a lawsuit, they need their own protection,” states Dani Ettridge of Aon South AFrica.

Francis adds that the implications of the Act mean that companies cannot lend their name to an event without being actively aware of the safety and security planning around the event.

“Obviously not all events are equal. Applications are made to the National Commissioner and each event is assessed and categorised as a low, medium or high risk event. There are different safety measures to be implemented dependent on the risk categorisation. Eversheds has produced A Practical Guide to SASREA and the draft regulations thereto and we would advise all parties involved in an event governed under the Act to consult the guide, their insurance broker and legal advisor to ensure all their bases are properly covered,” adds Francis.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:58 am

Good morning all - I'm not going to respond to everything as I don't think this to be the platform to slog it out ... however I need to touch on a couple of items.
I see that the moderators of Microlighters have made this matter the number one item.
Al, this has nothing to do with the moderators... when I initially posted the announcement, I made it a "sticky" - anyone that makes an initial post can set the conditions of that thread, whether it be GLOBAL/POLL/STICKY etc...

I am sure the chaps that have gone through the mill in terms of event planning and hosted events will understand the following - there are just some things we are not in power or empowered to ignore!
I found out, days before the event, that members of the MISASA Committee were briefed by a lawyer at RAASA about all the new requirements and that the necessary procedure was followed for another event. I believe that the oversight of not sharing this knowledge with me a month before the event is a matter that the committee needs to explain.
The event matter was discussed in the MISASA AGM. We were unaware of the liability insurance cover we as sub-section qualified for fo Aeroclub events only (excluding general public) Richard Becker, Aeroclub GM had offered to provision a meeting with Chris Linakis from RAASA to discuss the Special Air Events MOP and the Acts in terms of events and how it effects the MISASA ARO MOP. This was finally done on June 8th (the same day as the Aeroclub AGM) due to various folk not being available at the same time. The following attended - Myself, Chris Linakis, Pierre Laubscher, Rowena Kraidy. I had also asked Brett Hickman & Rob McFie to attend in light of the Numbi Africa Cup (MISASA sanctioned) for compliance and to be covered in terms of the Aeroclub for liability insurance for events... all the relevant legal criteria and grading had to be in place. Eric Torr from SAGPA, to assist them, was also invited to attend the meeting. The main purpose was for updating of the MISASA MOP. So, did this meeting have bearing on the Tedderfield event? Indirectly yes - for our members benefit with respect to legal compliance, but ultimately we were not the organisers of the Tedderfield Toys 4 Boys event - as I was informed or reminded countless times! I am pleased TimJan has posted reference to the SASREA article.... and in particular "Francis adds that the implications of the Act mean that companies cannot lend their name to an event without being actively aware of the safety and security planning around the event."
Dit is nie nuwe wette soos wat jy na verwys nie NEMO.... lees gerus die artikel. Ek vra nou 'n onskuldige vraag ... was hierdie maatreels dan nie in plek vir julle ander groot suksesvolle geleenthede nie?
Indeed TimJan. The correct event grading and SASREA applications were in place for both MISASA Tedderfield events (2012 & 2013). We had amazing support from the MIDVAAL LOCAL COUNCIL for the 2 events. The 2014 event hit serious speed bumps because of various issues, including the spin-off of the Glen Dell accident. The Midvaal Fire Brigade was not prepared to accept liability at the time due to implications of this accident. I was in the run-up to the event taken off the committee as the "go to man". For both previous events I had been responsible for all the applications (SASREA, Special Air Event, ATC etc.) and also took the liability and signed off as organiser. The 2014 event was called off and in an amazing effort by all on the committee and fantastic assistance from Nigel Musgrave at Kitty Hawk, the event was moved to Kitty Hawk a couple of weeks before the event took place. Given the time factor and an oversight on these two events was the SASREA applications and we let the events take place under the "fly-in" banner - which technically and practically it isn't. In 2015, this nearly cost us the event to be shut down the Friday evening by the Pretoria JOC/Disaster Management who was made aware of the event by Santjie (at our and CAA request) to having a MEDIVAC Helicopter on standby for the incredible display by Nigel Hopkins. I had also arranged for FULL ATC for both events and via RAASA, the airspace arrangements. Donald Hicks and I had to make some serious pleas at short notice and promptly complied to what was required (primary life support medics etc.) This experience was one major contributing factor to the meeting to be had with Chris Linakis and our MOP. One only has to read the Special Air Events MOP to see that we had overstepped certain requirements - yet, I was on the the chopping block!

When nothing negative happens at an event, there are taps on the shoulders all round for all for a job well done (and a great sigh of relief for the one that signed off as the organiser, flight director, SO's, ramp masters, ATC and the rest of the safety team).... but when it does go wrong, and yes, it does go wrong, all hell breaks loose, and then every unsuspecting individual in the event becomes liable and scrutinized. The Glen Dell accident case in point and I am sure Tumbleweed can share his experience - no matter how great your planning is/was and arrangements and criteria in place - liability becomes the buzzword and somebody has to be held accountable and the keyword here is financial - and there wasn't even a member of the public injured!

Think about the Shoreham Hawker Hunter Jet accident and let your imagination run amok ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... vivor.html
In the last year, the amount of time and money that has gone into making more rules is significant, and MISASA has helped. This is fine, but there is no balance.
Are you referring to Project24?
We have also spent time and money on BEE and on finding worthy black people to get a sponsored microlight licence. This too is fine, but there is no balance. Remember you are paying for these things.
Not entirely true... the T&D funding comes from the government - Sports Rec Council or is it Lotto Funding? No funds have been used or apportioned from membership contributions. The grant was given to AeroclubSA and a T&D program setup in line with what is expected from government. Some sections did not take the funding.
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:01 pm

I am happy that these matters are debated here as it offers the opportunity for a diversity of opinion. The topic, however, needs to be changed to Service Delivery.

I understand that the funding is Government funding that comes from taxpayers - so pilots are funding the CAA, RAASA, SRSA, etc. and thus in a democracy have a right to service delivery. Parliamentary sub-committees recognise representative organisations as the watchdogs of service delivery. (Reference the Berea West Estates case law re the appropriateness of the word watchdogs). This watchdog role, in a democracy, is critically important, and it was toned down in the last version of the MISASA Constitution after full discussion between Rowena and I at the AGM where I agreed to the removal of the references to the Feather and Wally Awards on the basis that the principles would remain. As you know, I have asked for these minutes as they must show that a compromise was reached on the basis that the principles will remain.

We have such huge potential to be an aviation industry incubator as our rebuilders and manufacturers are world class. Some are establishing facilities elsewhere which is worrying. With the weakness of the Rand our rebuilders & manufacturers are competitively positioned. What are we (The royal we Govt., through to MISASA) doing to promote this? Contrast this with the only comparable opportunity that we as a country have missed. South Africa should be the technology capital of Africa. The origins of Africa’s tech movement lie in Kenya, which laid down four markers between 2007 and 2010 to inspire the country’s Silicon Savannah and they backed it up with solid support and service delivery. Some USA 1 billion in VC capital has been injected because of the favourable climate. I know that there are some that want to bite my ankles but there is a big picture that will be realised..... if we have a reputation for allowing/supporting innovation and if we are rockstars at service delivery.

The SAPS used to be run by strict principles of Command and Control, and this was changed about ten years ago to a focus on service delivery. Generals became Commissioners etc. The transformation is increasingly evident and was clearly demonstrated during the run up to the Tedderfield event. There are pockets of service delivery excellence in aviation, but there are pockets of evidence that point to a desire for command and control. As I have stated, commercial aviation and the space between aircraft needs to be regulated and enforced. Our manufacturers and rebuilders who feed our pilots need to be free to seek inspiration to innovate.
NEMO
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:53 pm

Ok - my telephone critic called again seeking proof!

There is no proof of what I believe in, other than to say that when there is, it will be too late. There is a prediction that Technology and Aviation will increasingly be bedfellows which is why I drew the comparison with what is happening in the field of technology!

It is predicted that commercial drone delivery will be a reality within two years. Start-ups in Ghana and in South Africa lead the way. Qualified pilots complete with pilot uniforms, bars and stripes are flying drones offering a range of commercially viable services. The Ghana CAA are working to support and constructively regulate this brand new industry but in SA the Regulations are the most stringent in the world. Read this for detail. [quote]http://businesstech.co.za/news/g ... s/[/quote]
NEMO
TimJan
Thinking of flying

Postby TimJan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:22 pm

Nemo, met alle respek vir jou opinie, maar die boodskap wat jy uitstuur en verkondig is een van wetteloosheid en sonder respek vir reels & gesag - baie wat nietemin in bloed geskryf is... Jy sal wel by 'n minderheid gehoor aanklank vind met jou retoriek maar vir die res dink ek gaan jy maar die wind van voor kry! ##

Nee wat, ek het nou genoeg gelees en ek weet waar my kop staan.
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:11 am

Hello TimJan,

Thank you for your comments. In brief, those that know me, know that I have worked at the highest levels in Government and in the NGO sector on enforcing the law. I have worked on getting groundbreaking legislation passed in Parliament that will make this country a safer place for all of us. In fact, I have built 20 year projections covering our entire criminal justice system. I have worked on international financial standards that currently guide due process in all countries in the world. I have delivered presentations to both world economic and world policing forums. Some of the blood that you mention has, literally been mine. I do not normally talk about these things but feel I need to correct the view that I may be an anti-establishment crackpot.

I do understand your point of view and hope that you will understand the point that I make is that legislation must nurture growth rather than stagnate it. That we hold different views on the way forward is fine. I respect your opinions which have been well articulated.

Fly safe and enjoy every airbourne moment.
NEMO
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:49 am

My thoughts only.

Since open debate is being encouraged as various issues come to the fore, I think the topic name should be changed to Misasa issues, or such like.

Event hosting, compliance and liability,

Hosting events is part and parcel of promoting our sport. Leaving the patch to Fly into a breakfast Fly In or airshow and meet up with old flying buddies is a fat jol. To stay afterwards and enjoy a dop’ n chop is even better. Flying over the mountains to the Numbi Fly In is a pilgrimage, beautiful area, taking part in social flying competitions then getting vrot with old and new buddies is priceless.

I’ve always supported and flown in to all the Misasa events. Another excuse to fly outside of the patch, socialise and it creates a platform for struggling vendors in our industry to highlight services and products. Huge strides have also been made encouraging various flying types to interact, although lately with little success. (Why does Potties Flying school schlep all the way to the south of Joburg at great expense for little gain when local schools crying for business aren't visible or haven't made efforts to attract potential clients to the event?)

The aero Club hosted a 2 day event hosting conference at Rand in 2013 and invited all the parties in the chain of compliance to explain the reasoning and conformance for compliance. Since we recently had a fatal at our airshow, I was interested in understanding all the requirements and did it open my eyes

When you listen to the top professionals in their field of authority explaining what risks organisers are exposed to, including sponsors, event owners, aerobatic display organisations and international military show organisers, then you realise how complex it becomes trying to secure everyone’s best interests.

My biggest shock was learning that there's only been 1 or 2 fatals since the mid 1960's whilst competing in structured aerobatic competitions whilst averaging over 4 or 8 per year flying unregulated sequences at air shows.

The top police, lawyers for councils, insurers etc explained why since the Ellis Park overcrowding derby soccer game and similar international event disasters, the need to structure event disaster plans is necessary.

I thought Aeroclub and Raasa were and still are very proactive but at the risk of each entity over regulating themselves to cover the “what if” scenarios, like some drunken arse stumbling over a visible tent peg and embedding his eye socket or a kid running in to a turning prop whilst the parents kuier in the beer garden, or some idiot braaing sets the cars and buildings alight, or a catastrophe requiring multiple ambulances then you start understanding the concerns and risk and work towards compliance.

Shit happens, and when it does, you want to comfortable in knowing you complied with regs because even then, someone is going to want to hold someone liable and hold them accountable and if you were organising then you best have your ducks in a row.

So at the risk of scaring everyone away from hosting an event, just phone Raasa to inquire to what extent does your event need to comply. They are also recreational pilots and very helpful.

A simple breakfast fly in or nav rally for example requires only suitably licensed pilots to operate within the restrictions of their license but as soon as you invite public, including vendors and advertisers, then it becomes complex as the structures try to accommodate conformance and liability.

I believe Numbi falls within the category of a fly in and normal airfield activity but should this require escalating further requiring disaster plans then it will just kill the event.

Motivating flying to enhance the sport and sustain the industry is a natural occurrence, from people driving past airfields or witnessing an awesome flight even on TV. Directly, the best way we promote flying is invite passengers or just spread the love of flying to your buddies.

No amount of BBBEEE programmes or kiddie flips will boost interest in communities who will never afford it or see it as recreational activity and if a sponsor wants to finance a sponsor to a willing flying school then good luck to them but I don’t want to pay for it. I only started flying when I could afford it and that should apply to everyone.

If some authority threatens withholding privileges till we window dress some program then they can shove their Springbok colours or whatever bull$%it along with their rugby jersey.

Over Regulation with grass roots flying.

I have mixed thoughts. If a previously legal pilot takes his previously legal trike out of the farm barn for a flippie without hindering anyone I wouldn’t feel personally threatened, but if I must share the skies with a self-taught maverick who welded up and plakked together his own pride and joy flipping his buddies and kids then it’s an issue.

I feel quite comfortable flying in controlled airspace with my transponder knowing someone knows where everyone is but if I must share the air with untrained cowboys and cheque book drone toy owners then there better be regulation because if I survive a mid-air I am off to jail after what I do to that untrained toy operator and his benefactor.

Alan, I believe you add value, but you need to better identify your personal comments with a huge disclaimer under your signature ”Any comments made reflect my own personal opinion and not that of Misasa management or any of the members”

the end
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment