Water Shortage SA - AIRLIFT -- IT IS A GO

Matters of general interest
BudCyber
Found a flight school

Water Shortage SA - AIRLIFT -- IT IS A GO

Postby BudCyber » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:51 pm

Fellow Aviators

Be part of the Water Shortage SA AIRLIFT

Even with some rain in some parts of the country, the drought and water problem is getting WORSE!
Vryheid just recently also ran dry.
Melmoth just ran dry earlier this week. Kokstad just added.

St Lucia lake in northern KZN is dry.

Water Shortage SA Facebook page was co-started by Caroline van Saasen over the Xmas period.
We are doing this together with her.

With the current drought and the Water Shortage of South Africa drive, we aviators can jump in and assist as well.

Rather than flying to have a breakfast somewhere, Scenic Flights, Aerobatic or other flying practice, lets use our fuel and time for the good of those in need while required while we can.
It can be part of an organised Water AIRLIFT event, or you could fly there in your own time and take some water with as an individual.
Leave the water with the local Club, Restaurant, etc and contact the Water Coordinator to come and collect from the airfield.

See Events Section on AVCOM for Each town in need for Water.

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=12
Nylstroom will be first on 5th of March 2016. We are arranging for the Media to be present as well.
(No guarantee though)
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 2&t=170930

Those who can not fly, can possibly donate their planes, fuel or money.

As I sold my share in the YAK and not current on anything else, I am donating a 60 Liters of AVGAS and 100 Litres of Water right now for anyone to fly it to a place in need.
(I will take it to any field from Grand Central and north, Wonderboom or any airfield close by. I would/could fly with as crew)

Suggestion:
Arange Regional Fly-In's in each region where there is a Water shortage.

If you go to an already organised Fly-in, check to see if there is a water shortage in that area and maybe take some water with. If there is a water shortage in that area, there should be a WSSA co-ordinator who can arrange for the water to be collected at the airfield.

Event organiser: If you are in a Water Shortage Area, contact me for Co-ordinator details to collect the water from the airfield fellow Aviators will bring to you.

Take as much water with in bottles in the aircraft.
Remember MAUW and DA and tie down it properly.

Our fellow helicopter pilots take water to places without a runway.

WSSA Co-ordinators will arrange for pickup at the airfields with bakkies and trucks to transport to the distribution points.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/924585607595490/
(See very first pinned Message posted by Caroline van Saasen at the top of timeline)

HOWEVER, I can also assist.
Email: paul@budcyber.com
AVCOM: PM on AVCOM
Cell and SMS: 0822551111
Whatsup: 078-826-3082

For those who cannot fly, please donate Water, AVGAS or money.

NO WATER ARE ALLOWED TO BE SOLD
Water bottles must be marked clearly in the following way:
DW - Drinking water for human consumption.
TW - Tank, Tap, Rain water for sanitary or animal use

See Towns in Need below (From Website)
http://watershortagesa.wix.com/wssa#!blank/pibkt

I will post an EVENT in the AVCOM EVENTS section for EACH town in need. Please state your willingness to fly there and take water. Please post Airfield information, contact details, etc even if you are NOT flying, but have some information to share.
Maybe knowledge of Private Farm strips if there is no Public Airfield, etc.

Please note that this is not to replace transporting water by road and it is not cost effective.
The idea is that if we are going to fly in anyway, to fly to an airfield of a town in need of water and take water with to donate.

If this lady could do it, why can't we jump in and assist?
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... e-20160114

See websites for info.
https://twitter.com/WSSA2016
https://www.facebook.com/groups/924585607595490/
http://watershortagesa.wix.com/wssa

**Donation Stations
Not everybody can fly, but PLEASE donate some water.

I am already donating 1000 liters from my borehole.
Someone can come with a flatbed truck/trailer and a tank and you fill it up.

If you do not fly, but want to donate water:
http://watershortagesa.wix.com/wssa#!do ... ions/c21kz
Last edited by BudCyber on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Re: Water Shortage SA - AIRLIFT

Postby thys bas » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Microlight water tanker. Splendid idea! :lol: . 20 litre drinking water bottle (or two) strapped to pax seat, no prob :roll: (!!)

If you need mogas on arrival in FANY please let Richard (avgas) know.

Check out contact detail under "Events" on AVCOM or contact BudCyber here.
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:36 pm

The local suburb next to the airfield are up in arms because they have been without running water for a long time. BudCyber was in contact with the local police and it was decided to put the water delivery service on hold since our safety can not be guaranteed. :roll:

Rather not go before we hear from BudCyber
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:50 pm

thys bas wrote:The local suburb next to the airfield are up in arms because they have been without running water for a long time. BudCyber was in contact with the local police and it was decided to put the water delivery service on hold since our safety can not be guaranteed. :roll:

Rather not go before we hear from BudCyber
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I'll let the Potties Patrollie know to stay in the north...
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
BudCyber
Found a flight school

Postby BudCyber » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Potgiersrus sounds like a good idea.

I just spoke to Nicow and there is an event happening on Saturday at the airfield. Sunday is open.

What is the feeling for a Sunday morning flight or alternatively next Saturday (although some may want to go to The Coves which is on the 12th)
Weekend thereafter 19th?
BudCyber
Found a flight school

Postby BudCyber » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:21 am

Hi

Just spoke to the local Police Station and to AVGAS and it is all quite in Nylstroom, so Saturday is a GO!

We will arrange Potgietersrus for a next time.

Roer julle vlerke.... vhpy
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Re: Water Shortage SA - AIRLIFT -- IT IS A GO

Postby thys bas » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:29 pm

Great, Dankie Paul en Richard,

Sien julle Saterdag.

Die weer gaan lekker wees. 8)

AVGAS, 20 l mogas asb, dankie
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Great news:

There is a dirt runway north of FANY (about 11Km) and west of Naboomspruit. ( 24.50S 28.53E) It is about 900 m long and has been checked today and is clear. (Depending on what the pigs are up to tonight) Next to the runway will be about 200 bottles of water for this project, please go and collect and bring it to FANY. If you can not make it on Saturday, go on Sunday. Mr Fred Cornelius of Uitkyk Vleismark Silverton has donated the water and it may not be sold or consumed by the distributors. You can make as many flights as is needed. So you don't have to go buy water and ferry it, just pick it up for the short hop to FANY.

He gave us permission to land this weekend. but please be careful and look out and listen out. and there is no wind sock, but you bush pilots don't need it anyway :shock: :roll: :lol: . you land here at your own discretion, carry your own risk, and don't call Fred or me if you mess up, roll over into a hole, fly into an animal or into your friend's kite :shock: :roll: :lol:

Go and enjoy this this great excuse to fly ($$)
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi Paul & Ricard, Any idea of the number of aircraft expected, I know of only two, me and Goose. Ons gaan meer as net 20l brandstof benodig om die hele dag bottels water aan te vlieg van Fred se plek af!! :lol:
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:58 pm

Well done to all involved. It was a great day! =D> =D> This is what flying is all about.

Paul, thank you for triggering the idea, and thank you to Richard, Mariette, Christo, the boys and Nylstroom Vliegklub for hosting. (^^) (^^)

I was going to fly to have a "$100 hamburger" somewhere else, but today it had purpose.

I burned about 60 liters of mogas and spent about 3.9 hours in the air. :roll: All was great fun.

Chris impressed me the most with his contagious positive attitude. Amazing man after his ordeal with the marabu stork through the windscreen of his C210. Thanks for visiting Chris and bringing international flavour to the occasion with you. Hope he enjoyed the trip as well.

Pictures to follow later.

And we missed the Potties Patrollie!! Waar was julle?? ##

O, I almost forgot, we did actually manage to get a bit of water together as Paul mentioned. (!!)
BudCyber
Found a flight school

Postby BudCyber » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:28 pm

thys bas wrote: And we missed the Potties Patrollie!! Waar was julle?? ##

Ja, ek moes gisteraand deapheat aan my nek smeer so seer was dit van in die lug kyk om te sien waar julle is :twisted:
BudCyber
Found a flight school

Postby BudCyber » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi

As far as I am concerned, a great fly-in. Met up with people I knew and met many more new people.

I thoroughly enjoyed this outing and reached the initial goal.

Less aircraft flew in than anticipated, but more water "delivered" than expected.

People enjoyed themselves with Richard and wife and Christo, etc boerewors rolls, etc.

First aircraft arrived at approximate 08h30 was Thys and then Chris I think.
Last to leave was Thys in his Cub at 14h00.

Some left at about 11h00'ish and then Richard/Steve and Christo fetched their aircraft and with some of the visitor aircraft went to fetch some more water donated by Fred on his farm Bush Strip like real bush pilots. Six aircraft in total.

Water delivered was 297 liters at first.
Then 130 liters was collected at the Bush strip in a special trip by air.
That is 430 liters of all drinking water at the airfield.
These will be delivered to 2 x Old Age homes and a Children Welfare home.

Still at the bush strip is 870 liters which will be transported by ground transport which AVGAS will kindly arrange and deliver at Naboomspruit Old Age homes.

Thank you to everyone involved:
AVGAS and wife for the Boerewors rolls, waiving landing fee's and arranging the local delivery of water.
CHRISTO-B for Boerwors rolls and assistance when I phone around on how to arrange this.
THYS for keeping the spark going and arranging the 1000 liters of water.
Thanks to An-Li and Donawin Willemse, WSSA representatives who drove all the way from Witbank to be there.

Thanks to all of those flying in.

You guys rock!!

Photo's here:
https://www.dropbox.com/l/sh/Z41Y2kxpZGoUoPLlxfTPdt