ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

MISASA Showcase 2016

Postby John Boucher » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:49 pm

Good afternoon all...

The MISASA Committee have had a round robin with this one and sadly I have to announce that the event is being postponed to later and more suitable date in the year. Our main concern has been the the date we have used that clashes seriously with the weather or expected weather in Gauteng. All the events thus far have had either mist or low cloud in the morning and/or thunderstorms & heavy showers (ask the chaps that swam in their tents ;-) ) The date and venue will be published once decided upon....

2016 MISASA Western Cape Fly-In
The EAA are holding their 2016 convention down in Mossel Bay the weekend of the 29th April 2016. MISASA has reached an agreement with the EAA chaps to then have a MISASA Fly-In on the Saturday 30th April 2016.
Chaps from Natal have already indicated their willingness to attend and some of the manufacturers are also keen to show off their craft. This by no means replaces the historical Show Case event. It is merely our intention to get a recognized event going for MISASA members (and gyro's and GA and whoever wants to come) in the Cape. This event can however develop into something similar to the Show Case event in 2017.

We also may agree to have the MISASA AGM down here in that time, giving the Western / Eastern Cape members a chance to be a part of the process.

So, do we see you all in Mossel Bay - I hope so .... lots of holidays in that time!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
RV12
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Re: MISASA Showcase 2016

Postby RV12 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Somewhere in winter will probably do the trick....
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Leprachaun » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:23 am

Hi John and the MISASA committee,I do not agree with with the statement as made by the chairman . The Tedderfield / Kittyhawk event was a show stopper , we had a great event and now you want to down grade the event To a cling-on EAA event ,Is it an EAA event or a MISASA event , the AGM , who going to be there , the committee, present and who else, the evnt is 4 months into the new year , I suppose EAA are funding all costs , tickets / accomodation etc , what does MISASA and thhe members gain from this ??? . Just a few thoughts . Alex Rudd
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Dear Alex... why the apprehension? But your comments are noted however

Eish, I am the chairman ;-) We are not downgrading at all. We are creating a separate event for the Western Cape (which by the way has never happened in past because everything happens in Gauteng). Do you oppose that venture or thought?

The EAA Convention happens at a different venue every year and it was my suggestion that we piggy back on the EAA convention for the lads in the Cape, the Eastern Cape and Natal for this year and then look at the Mossel Bay venue again for 2017. This was already discussed at the Parys Aeroclub weekend. I happen to be on the Mossel Bay Aeroclub Committee, my interaction with the chaps of EAA, being part of the planning committee and knowing some of the marshaling team who are quite familiar to us all. It makes perfect sense for an event (albeit just a Fly-In without most of the bells and whistles like the Showcase) here with most of the legalities, airfield and airspace matters already resolved. Originally we looked at Wings Park but that never materialised (but may later as an awesome venue) Just by the way, the folk from Natal & Eastern Cape are making a long weekend getaway of this event (due to the public holidays in between) Quite frankly, I do not understand your comments iro funding. Haven't I been a stickler for costs in the past?

The MISASA SHOWCASE was and still is Alan MacKenzie's brainchild. The amount of work he does for this behind the scenes is tantamount. I discussed this with him at length and of course the other grey beards on the committee - way before us making the call. There are other event legalities and deadlines that we could not meet for the event to be held in early February - some persons may be aware of the hoops that Donald Hicks, Brett Hickman and I had to jump through on the Friday afternoon before the Kitty Hawk event to satisfy obscure legislation and requirements for such a gathering last year.

The AGM was a mere suggestion but may I ask this now that you mention it - how many folk made the effort to attend last year's AGM at Kitty Hawk? MISASA is not the property of GAUTENG, there are members down this way too that have by large been excluded from the normal functioning. Also, there are quite a few folk from Gauteng that have indicated that they intend making a trip of this as well!

This all been said, the MISASA SHOWCASE will take place later in the year in GAUTENG and a couple of the suppliers that I have been in contact with are quite satisfied with that.... I do however suggest you give big Al (NEMO) a call to clarify the situation and to put your mind at ease!

JB
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:14 am

Its great to "piggyback" on the EAA event as a completely separate opportunity...I have no problems with that at all...and it also give those pilots based in the Cape and areas further afield from Gauteng an opportunity to join in on a Misasa event! Why the hell not....the more the merrier. (^^)

Those of us who have been involved in the Misasa Showcase arrangements in the past will know that we have been extremely lucky "weatherwise" for 4 consecutive years. If the date remains in Feb, it's only a matter of time before our luck runs out...and we were damn close one or two years! :wink:

Thunderstorm season is really not ideal to have 100's of ultralights parked on an apron. The Showcase has not been cancelled...just postponed!
A move to a later date in the year is a good one....bravo. (!!)
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:55 am

I think it's a great idea mixing with other bodies. Nylstroom Taildraggers is probably successful because of the variety.

Had a good time at the EEA's last meet in Margate. Take out of it what you want; if displaying your home build is not your thing then just go for a flip and enjoy the beers afterwards.

From my perspective an no disrespect to anyone but I personally thought the Last Kitty Hawk event was a bit flat in terms of fellow microlighter support/ activity. Besides the exhibitors and organisers, the GT 450 fly in and a handful of regular die-hards, it took the ou ballie bikers to fill the place up.

I think the potential kak weather also had a lot to do with it.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment