Could this be the beginning of the end

Matters of general interest
Suesing
Top Gun
Top Gun

Could this be the beginning of the end

Postby Suesing » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:28 pm

I am writing this from my personal perspective. Over the past few months i have had no knew students, few introductory flights, in fact both my aircraft are gathering dust. The Microlighters forum also seems rather quiet , aircraft sales etc as well as contributions seem unusually less frequent/enthusiastic , or is it possible im being sensitive? - perhaps the time of the year . But i have a feeling in my water things are not good . The middle man can no longer afford recreational flying ? Grass roots flying inspite of it making use of "microlights" ,is invaluable to the continuance of recreational flying and forms the entry post to affordable flying . As a full time instructor , honestly , i could be jobless if the trend continues. Does anyone else have any opinions , or predictions.
:shock: :cry:
http://www.valleyflightsmicrolighting.com
Jabiru Instructor ( Grade B)
Le Pou
First solo

Re: Could this be the beginning of the end

Postby Le Pou » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:06 pm

You echo my observations. I see fewer microlights flying over my farm in the Cradle of Humankind. In previous years there were numerous aircraft overhead over weekends to my delight, now I am lucky to see any at all. I have also noticed the lack of life on this forum. I have spent the last 10 years building an aircraft and have seen the tightening regs. slowly but surely squeeze the life out of home building. Costs of course have also skyrocketed. What we need is a regulatory environment that nurtures the microlight movement which should be seen as the kindergarten of the aviation industry. Regrettably we seem to have the opposite. I know this sounds like defeatism but I don't see any welcoming light on the horizon. But keep going Sue, I still have to get an MPL!

Best wishes

Roy
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:45 pm

Sue, speak to Fanie Dysel at Microland. He placed an ad on gumtree and got 10 students from it. Maybe advertising on social media and the Internet is becoming critical.

Good luck
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Suesing
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Suesing » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:11 am

Paul and Roy , you have cheered me up - thanks guys. Roy i landed this morning at Piet Schuttes place , where is your place? Keep going with your homebuild , it will be worth it in the end.
x
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:00 am

Sue,its whatsapp's fault ## -they chat on the groups and not on the forum... (**)
We also have a whatsapp group at our school,and it gets very busy...
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:42 pm

nicow wrote:Sue,its whatsapp's fault ## -they chat on the groups and not on the forum... (**)
We also have a whatsapp group at our school,and it gets very busy...

I agree Nico. Also, some pilots seem to think that Face Book and other, more broader based audience, social media sites are a better forum to use. (**) We also have a Tailwinds whatsapp group and the activity can be furious at times.... ($$) ($$)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:14 pm

Check out this link for a similar discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25048
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
freddievanrooyen@yahoo.com
Le Pou
First solo

Postby Le Pou » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi Sue,

I don't know Piet Schutte but I am located next to Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve, opposite their picnic area. My aircraft has just a few hours work to be done before a test flight can be considered but unfortunately I had to stop work on it some months back due to an unexpected health problem. However I am recovering well and can hope to get back to work and do the finishing touches fairly soon.

Best wishes

Roy
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:20 am

All the best Aunty Sue...hope it picks up soon for you! (^^) xxx

GA in general is in decline...there is no doubt. Even in my own business things are really tough and I am struggling to keep the books rolling positively in the economic circumstances. Luxuries like flying will always suffer first. I personally flew less hours last year than ever before. Marketing is the key... and more and more ATO's like yourself will need to expand on the current formulae. Social media is the way to go.... (^^) It has boosted my own business well.

Ordinary pilots like myself and many others also have an important role to play! Boost your local clubs...schools...ap's and "destructors" wherever you can!
Book an hour with them every now and then...even if it's just to work on a minor issue?
Support them...help them all survive! Talk to your friends about the sport....share your experiences "outside the circle".....make it your mission to introduce someone new to the sport...etc etc etc. Every little bit helps! vhpy

In these economic conditions, every school or supplier that is forced to call it a day is another nail in the coffin for Grass roots flying...

I have shared your webpage on the evil facebook Aunty...I do hope it gathers some interest for you!

All the best! (!!)
Suesing
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Suesing » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:47 am

Alan i will definately buy you a cold one at Potties this year.
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Normally manning an office with 24/7 connectivity, I am often browsing this and other sites. Being away on leave you realise that you've joined the mass who aren't plonked in front of a so browse via phone,- a schlepp always having to log on, so not posting and adding value, so viewing a dormant site.

Someone with more intelligence than me needs to update the site with an ap, similar to a cricket web site I use to stay in tough with live ball by ball cricket action between a dip in the sea and another cold one.

Available via an AP for mobile phones, check http://www.cricbuzz.com/live-cricket-sc ... ca-2015-16

or http://www.cricbuzz.com/live-cricket-sc ... ca-2015-16

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-match/live-scores
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment