My Bucket List: A Flight of Fancy

Matters of general interest
salem
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

My Bucket List: A Flight of Fancy

Postby salem » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:07 pm

Call me crazy (a lot of you probably will) but it has been my life's dream to fly down the Amazon River in a microlight and photograph/video the voyage. From Belem to Manaus and back. Seven days there and seven days back. Averaging 200 Kms - 250 Kms per day for a total of 1449 Kms. Fourteen legs each way with the longest leg 135 Kms long. Very doable on the Challenger. I am thinking of fitting floats on the plane for a safer passage but I've never flown with floats before and it might not be very clever to start now. There are numerous problems such as visas, flight permits, dismantling, crating and re-assembling the plane, quality of fuel on the way, weather, etc. but I am determined to make it happen next year. Dry season in Brazil is June to September so it's preparation time. I welcome all ideas and suggestions as well as any Challenger owner who might like to join me in this adventure.
ZS-VFZ
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Re: My Bucket List: A Flight of Fancy

Postby Blue Max » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:39 am

vhpy
Good luck.
I guess you are flying with a Challenger.?
I will suggest that a trike will be a better choice.!
Plenty reasons for that.! :)
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Baitbird
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Baitbird » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Can I sugest " peacefull sleap , Tabard and citronella cream"
No use doing all the planning and then not enjoying the journey!!!

Sounds like a very nice "bucket list" item.
Hope all works out well.

Keep us updated as your planning, paperwork etc progresses.
J
Fake people worry about their image.... Real people just don't give a damn!!!
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:42 am

salem wrote:Call me crazy (a lot of you probably will) but it has been my life's dream to fly down the Amazon River in a microlight and photograph/video the voyage. From Belem to Manaus and back. Seven days there and seven days back. Averaging 200 Kms - 250 Kms per day for a total of 1449 Kms. Fourteen legs each way with the longest leg 135 Kms long. Very doable on the Challenger. I am thinking of fitting floats on the plane for a safer passage but I've never flown with floats before and it might not be very clever to start now. There are numerous problems such as visas, flight permits, dismantling, crating and re-assembling the plane, quality of fuel on the way, weather, etc. but I am determined to make it happen next year. Dry season in Brazil is June to September so it's preparation time. I welcome all ideas and suggestions as well as any Challenger owner who might like to join me in this adventure.
Wow,this sounds very nice (!!)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD