Weight shift training shortage in Eastern Cape.

Matters of general interest
MadMurdog
Thinking of flying

Re: Weight shift training in Eastern Cape.

Postby MadMurdog » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 am

brayn

het vir jou n email gestuur kyk of jy dit kry
bryan
Whats the right frequency?

Postby bryan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:38 am

To stress how important this topic is, just think back how much training was being done in the Eastern cape 5 years ago. NOW we only have 1 active and legal school from Saldannah in the west and Bloemfontein in the North and Emoyeni in the East. Thats scary when we consider the future of trike flying. Its even worse for Instructor renewal!!!!
bryan

Postby bryan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:22 pm

If any of you have proposals for some kind of solution to our problems medium to long term , please contact me or put something on paper. We really would like to help more people learn to fly at a reduced cost.
bryan

Postby bryan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 am

Since I have had no response from anybody, it would appear that we are either not keen on the future of trike flying or so selfish that it is bugger you Jack I am OK.
That is a pity because we are going to pick the fruits of this next year or sooner.
Regards
Bryan.
PS I am O K I have a Flight School at Wings Park to assist me!
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Bryan, I've shared my opinion many times on this subject.

Maybe the learned instructors here or training schools or Misasa can advise why the policy of satelite schools or instructors was disallowed, effectively taking a huge segment of suitably qualified part time instructors out the system.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:42 am

bryan wrote:Since I have had no response from anybody, it would appear that we are either not keen on the future of trike flying or so selfish that it is bugger you Jack I am OK.
Bryan....I changed your topic a bit to draw more attention to it.

I don't think people "don't care"....perhaps they are just uninformed or do not understand enough (like me) about the training environment and the buerocratic walls that restrict it to offer any useful advice?

This will not be an easy subject to tackle with the authorities. Their rules and reg's seem to be written in stone and a change in the CARS is not easy to even propose, let alone promulgate and then apply. ##

As much as I have applauded RAASA for their efficiency in administrative matters such as ATF processing and Licence renewals, they have great shortcomings when it comes to consultation and discussion around issues like this. CAA is even worse....hell we have been waiting nearly 2 years for any sort of answer from them re the Ramp Inspection checklist??....How long would it take to look at this even far more complex issue around Satelite schools and instructors?

I have many times called for more flexibility from the issuing Authorities on ATF's, inspection's and renewal processes. I have said many times that I cannot see a logical reason why the laws cannot be made more flexible to accommodate pilots from far aflung areas? Here is where the system is failing....and becoming the biggest rectriction to growth in any form of rec aviation. You don't have to "change" the laws.....just allow for special circumstances to help those pilots affected comply with existing processes....

Unfortunately, I don't see any evidence of any attempt by an ARO (Misasa excluded as this subject has come up for discussion at times), the AeCSA, RAASA or the CAA itself to change the situation? If there has been an attempt...then I will retract that statement and apologise with pleasure. Unfortunately aviation is governed by politicians who care little for others interests, and each organisation within the "chain" has it's own (sometimes hidden) agenda. The plight of a few trike pilots is not very high on the list of important things to discuss.. :(

To be honest Bryan, although you would have my full support, I don't know where you would even begin to try and change this? :(
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Weight shift training shortage in Eastern Cape.

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14 am

Well said Bundy ! =D*
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
bryan

Postby bryan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Very well expressed Bundy.!, Unfortunately I am not as good with words or as diplomatic as you are. I am just a 61 year old flying enthusiat who wants others to share what I experience as economically as possible.
The big thing I cannot understand is why Part 62 is so strict while Part 61 is so more forgiving.
I say again the over regulation is KILLING this route for people to learn to fly.
It is not always prudent to docomparisons but the American system can teach us a lot . Their attitudes does not seem to have a negative influence on their flying.
I honestly believe that more knowledge of our system might help and much more discussion is needed with the authorities. I spoke to Rowena Kraidy last week and she was interested to hear suggestions.
SO LETS TALK TO EACH OTHER GUYS.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:32 am

The first thing we need to do Bryan, is understand WHAT the restrictions are in terms of prohibiting "satellite school" type operations.

IE: What part of the legislation prohibits this?

For this we need instructors (who understand the laws re this) to come into the conversation, advise on possible solutions and format some sort of petition?

Misasa can distribute this petition to its membership via the database. I will ask the Committee to do this, but just bear in mind I no longer serve on the EXCO. If we can garner enough support for this through the petition, we can forward the signatures to both RAASA and AeCSA and ask for this to be put on the agenda's for the next meeting that takes place.

At the end of the day it will take political will to get this done...and participation from those affected!

I'm happy to help you Bryan, but without some knowledgeable persons on board...it will fail. Rowena will be a good person to have on board, I'm sure she will help us if we ask her. (^^)
bryan

Postby bryan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 am

Alan that was and is the purpose of this thread. You are the first who has seen the light on the forum with Tumbleweed and shown some positive input. I was really hoping more instructors would raise their voices. I know of two competent guys who are out their ready to assist but bound by regs not allowing off site training. I will speak to Rowena and others and start a snowball hopefully.
Regards
Bryan Erasmus
ZU BFR Aquilla
ZU EZA Skyranger
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi Guys has there been any change as far as satellite schools go. I my self don't know all the red tape involved. I want to ask a couple of questions if they sound stupid please forgive my ignorance. If there is a registered flight school with a A grade instructor on Fixed wings and choppers will a c grade weight shift instructor be able to facilitate training under him/her. Second question if someone wants to become a weight shift instructor he/she needs a min. of 200 hours what then do you have to do a special flight test,exam ect. ? :?
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Bundy wrote:The first thing we need to do Bryan, is understand WHAT the restrictions are in terms of prohibiting "satellite school" type operations.

IE: What part of the legislation prohibits this?

For this we need instructors (who understand the laws re this) to come into the conversation, advise on possible solutions and format some sort of petition?

Misasa can distribute this petition to its membership via the database. I will ask the Committee to do this, but just bear in mind I no longer serve on the EXCO. If we can garner enough support for this through the petition, we can forward the signatures to both RAASA and AeCSA and ask for this to be put on the agenda's for the next meeting that takes place.

At the end of the day it will take political will to get this done...and participation from those affected!

I'm happy to help you Bryan, but without some knowledgeable persons on board...it will fail. Rowena will be a good person to have on board, I'm sure she will help us if we ask her. (^^)
As far as I know there is NO restrictions for satellite training as long as it is done correct. I have done satellite training all over with some students and applied for it in writing. As long as the facilities is ok were the training is done no problem. :wink: It's up to the instructor to prove that the facilities is up to standard as within the registered ATO.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi Marius, :)

Kom nou ou langarms...hoekom is jou antwoord so kort? :lol:
ZS-NEL wrote:As far as I know there is NO restrictions for satellite training as long as it is done correct.
Thanks that's great news....now tell us what is the "correct way"... ^ :)
ZS-NEL wrote: I have done satellite training all over with some students and applied for it in writing. As long as the facilities is ok were the training is done no problem. :wink: It's up to the instructor to prove that the facilities is up to standard as within the registered ATO.
Nou kom verduidelik mooi vir ons....
Who did you apply to?
Did you have to register the students plane in the ATO?

Dankie Mr Nel. (!!)

Miskien is jy dalk lus vir n Oos Londen werks vakansie? (^^)
zudat
Thinking of flying

Postby zudat » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:08 pm

I really enjoyed the "Microlight flying and social life" sadly the whole schlep of maintaining the license and currency just became toooooo much of an irritation .....sold my trike and miss it every day !!!! Bought a very powerful and fast motorbike .... did the license once and it lasts forever .... do all my own maintenance .....no AP required ..... and now I can race around in traffic without "Big Brother" soiling his pants ..... whatever happened to "Grassroots" flying and "Peer pressure" discipline. ???? ALWAYS considered the "Microlight" flying to be far safer without all the over regulation
Flying is not a matter of life or death, it's much more serious than that!
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:46 am

I was told by CAA that there is no such thing as a satellite operation anymore. You have to have a full ATO. You are however allowed to use the same name, they allocate a different code for the second school. Something like KFA1 KFA2 etc.

Maybe RAASA can help change this for recreational schools but I doubt that CAA will budge.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success