Advice needed please

Matters of general interest
Trevor Blackbird
Heard about flying

Advice needed please

Postby Trevor Blackbird » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 am

Hi,

I have been a ground walking creature for too long now and would love to take to the skies! vhpy

I am seriously considering buying a microlight and learning to fly it.

However I just need some advice from the old hands in microlights.

Firstly, what is the best? should I buy a microlight first and then get my licence flying it, or should I first enrol for licence training and then buy a microlight? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I would also like to know which microlight you would advise on purchasing, I think this almost like motorbikes, buy the right size and type to start with? which ones are popular and good?

I stay in Newcastle and I am planning to enrol at ladysmith KZN flight school for my licence. Found their web page.
Unfortunately Newcastle does not have many microlights and I am struggling to get guys to take me out for a couple of flips. either the weather or time is never right. any volunteers? I will help with the petrol. I am 54, but if anyone calls me Oom, then I will fly back on my own.

Cheers
Trevor
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Advice needed please

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi Trevor,

Met a good bunch of okes from the Newcastle Flying club at the last airshow. Although they might not now fly trikes most guys started off with microlights so go have a chat and a beer, you'll get some advice.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey Trevor,

Welcome (^^)

My humble advice..... :)

Do your licence first on the Schools plane. (90% chance it will be either an Aquilla or a Windlass)
You will learn a hell of a lot about the various types during your training to make an informed decision yourself as to which trike to buy. You will prob be given a flip or two in various types by new pilot tjommies you meet along the way....and this will also help you.

It's a buyers market....lots of bargains around....rather wait till you've qualified before committing to a plane.

Enjoy your training, pick a good school with a good reputation! (ask around!) (!!)
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:58 pm

Trevor, When I started, I first had a lesson and knew I was hooked. I ordered a new trike. (Windlass) 1995. immediatly. I would suggest you go for a couple of lessons, then decide. There are plenty of good second hand trikes around. You WILL be hooked.
Good luck.
Vernon.
vanish
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby vanish » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:27 am

so bek kort jam, there is also the other side of the coin. if you buy your own to train on the benefit is 2 fold;
ur training cost is reduced as u would now redirect school trike hire toward owning an asset
u learn on ur own machine, have a instructor behind u to rectify whilst u getting to know what ur machine can/ wont do! hence ur far more comfortable with your machine as well as your own abilities, then u also get to know when something does not look ?? on inspection
so my 2 cents worth go forth make the choice, get into your own
enjoy the new freedom
steve 0734455979
vanish
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby vanish » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 am

ahh da...
really needed to say this first,
do ur medical.
choose ur school, get to write ur exams
then u have used best part of 3 months to do footwork/ paperwork whilst al other decisions is sorted
ie where am i going to train/school, hangarage options, now student go forth... buy!
great enjoy
regards
steve
Trevor Blackbird
Heard about flying

Postby Trevor Blackbird » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:24 am

Hi.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I can see there are pros and cons on both sides of this coin.
it's gonna be a hard choice.

I also thought it would be best to learn to fly on your own machine.
But then I need to get the right microlight to start off with.
I have noticed there are a couple of beautiful microlights up for sale.

I know some of the guys at Newcastle, I also watch the webcam they have there.
But they all say that Newcastle is a bit quiet, there is more happening at Ladysmith.
And obviously timing is everything or you end up sitting at an empty airfield.

Is there anyone out there from Ladysmith?

Cheers
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:40 am

The school at Ladysmith is owned and run by Larry van der Merwe, great bloke. he trains on fixed wings and has a C172 a Skyranger and a Cheetah. There used to be a fairly active club when I flew form there, weather in my view is the best in the country for flying. I think Conrad Steyn who lives on the Newcastle road is active with a Aerotrike Scout. He has a Gyro also with his own airstrip. they still have a Braai every Wednesday evening. Great place and I enjoyed many hours there.

I am sure Larry has his number.

Good Luck

Zulu1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi Trevor,

Welcome to this wonderfull sport...it will be a life changing event when you start your training.

There are pros and cons to both options. Some schools don't want you to use your own trike and make it almost as expensive as using theres.

Training on the schools trike:
Pros
1) you put hard hours on their machine
2) you dont have to wory about all the legalities and maintenance aspects of their plane
3) you are reasonably assured that the trike is expertly maintained
4) you have time to shop around for your own trike while you are training
5) .....
Cons
1) you are learning to fly on someone elses trike...yours will be different
2) it will be more expensive to fly the schools trike (unless the school prices the owner trike training high)
3) you wont have any sense of ownership during your training.
4) you are dependant on the availability of the schools trike..when you go solo it will be easier to get instructor time especially when doing cross country training
5) ....

I did my first hours on the schools trike and then, when I found the "right" trike (3 months of shopping) I bought my own and carried on training at half the instruction cost per hour. In addition you still however have maintenance and fuel cost. But, at that stage, it worked out cheaper. And it was my OWN aerie.

Also, when looking for your own aerie, ask independant Authorised Persons (AP) for their oppinion and guidance. Take them to your short listed aeries so that they can inspect them and advise you. Be very carefull of engines close to TBO and sails which have high hours. These are expensive components to overhaul/replace. Sails dont have a TBO and can easily be tested.

Don't worry about the condition of the seat covering and paniers...my wife will make you new ones, cheap cheap.... vhpy

Happy and safe flying, (-)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:04 am

Hi Paul

Can you give us an estimate on what your wife charges for seat covers and panniers please?
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby