What a/c would you choose?

Matters of general interest
Pepper 5
Thinking of flying

What a/c would you choose?

Postby Pepper 5 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Please help us decide what the best a/c for our purpose would be. We need a a/c to do patrols on a game farm for anti poaching purposes and game/cattle counts etc. The farm in question is 6000ha but very mountainous. We need something with short field capabilities and with a very good rate of climb at about 4000ft, it must also be able to take a fair sized pilot and a larger :lol: passenger. A good view is a absolute must and it must be able to handle a bit of wind and lots of turbulence with ease.

So basically we need something cheap to run, slow, safe able to take punishment.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Last edited by Pepper 5 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZUDOD
Pre flight checks done

Re: What a/c would you choose?

Postby ZUDOD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Look at the Bat Hawk. I flew in one at the Alldays festival yesterday and am sure that it will suit your requirements. It is easy to fly, stable in windy conditions and economical.
Wiets Beukes
ZU-DOD
ZU-IFL
Dobbs
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 pm

There are a number of aircraft that will suit your requirement, the one that I have extensive experince with, both as a personal aircraft, as well as flying up to 15 hrs / month for environmental work (fence line patrols, game counting, surveillance etc) is the Bushbaby.

It has the straight line speed, 100 knts (if in a hurry) to 40 knots for loitering - it has superb unimproved field capability (conventional gear) and is very reasonably priced.

Although mine has the Rotax 100 HP, there are a number of alternate engine possibilities.
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Don't count out the cheetah, for two large size gents, the cheetah has plenty room inside, can be flown slowly with doors off, and can land in bush type terrain. My cheetah has the rotax 912extra engine 95hp and runs 10litres per hour consistently.

Slow or fast it's more than capable.
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:04 am

What sort of budget are you talking about?
A Robbie 22 would also be perfectly suited.
Byron Kirkland
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:52 am

6 cylinder bantam.... no question... other than the STOL capabilities can handle low and slow very well..... used by parks board for game counting and until recently by Sa Police for air patrols in remote areas .... great little aircraft with great capabilities...
RV9
DISH
Pepper 5
Thinking of flying

Postby Pepper 5 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Some interesting planes there, I like the Bushbaby and Bushcat very much. If looking at 500 - 600k would a Gyro not do well either?

Robbie 22 would be nice but running cost there is a scary thought not to mention the licence. I already have a PPL and lapsed MPL and would not hesitate to do a gyro lic too. Just don't want to buy something and be sorry later.

Keep them coming.
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:54 pm

If you consider a Gyro look at the best, RAF 2000!!!! :twisted:
Flying feeds the soul!
Sideslip
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Sideslip » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:26 am

World wildlife fund (WWF) Netherlands, sponsored the purchase of an aircraft to an affiliate of theirs based in Natal to do anti poaching work. The only prerequisite they had was to insist a detailed workshop was held with aviation experts, game experts, and pilots experienced in this type of flying so that the correct aircraft was chosen for the job.

During the several day workshop, the list of potentials was made shorter and shorter as each aircraft was struck off the list for falling short in some way or another.

Performance, after sales support and cost were all taken into consideration.

The last aircraft left on the list .... And subsequently purchased by WWF ....... The Rainbow (Skyreach) Cheetah.

Fact!
Mike Gill
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:23 am

Be sure to investigate the Zenair High-Wing Series. Not called the SkyJeep for nothing! :lol: These are sold as home-build kits but can be built by Bundu Aviation in Bronkhorstspruit (Aeropark, Zynkraal).

Contact details are:
Email: info@bunduaviation.com
Mobile: zero83-4852427

Check out the models . . . .
Zenair Models.jpg
Personally, I was looking for something more than LSA in terms of MTOW in order to facilitate additional load or passengers whilst maintaining VSTOL capability, so have settled on the four-seater CH 801! This will be my next aircraft! (^^)

Watch these videos of the Zenair CH 801 & CH 701 (2-seater LSA):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... oHSOg6db9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbEZMYxEArs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1dBpAtDlz8

Using a curved road such as this as a landing or take-off strip is a game-changer! vhpy
Zenair CH701 VSTOL.jpg
(this is from the third video clip above)
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:26 am

Pepper 5 wrote:We need something with short field capabilities and with a very good rate of climb at about 4000ft, it must also be able to take a fair sized pilot and a larger passenger. A good view is a absolute must and it must be able to handle a bit of wind and lots of turbulence with ease.

So basically we need something cheap to run, slow, safe able to take punishment.
Pepper 5 wrote:would not hesitate to do a gyro lic too.
Hi Pepper

If you are contemplating gyro, don't hesitate or look further. You basically described a gyro in you first post. You cannot beat a gyro's open cockpit views and manueverability. The only thing contradicting is short field take off. If you are going to be two well fed game farmers in the heat of the bushveld, you'll most propably gonna need at least 800m runway without restrictions. :wink:

Where are you guys based, or want to fly from?
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Sideslip wrote:World wildlife fund (WWF) Netherlands, sponsored the purchase of an aircraft to an affiliate of theirs based in Natal to do anti poaching work. The only prerequisite they had was to insist a detailed workshop was held with aviation experts, game experts, and pilots experienced in this type of flying so that the correct aircraft was chosen for the job.

During the several day workshop, the list of potentials was made shorter and shorter as each aircraft was struck off the list for falling short in some way or another.

Performance, after sales support and cost were all taken into consideration.

The last aircraft left on the list .... And subsequently purchased by WWF ....... The Rainbow (Skyreach) Cheetah.

Fact!
I often walk down to Mike and the team, and can vouch for the fantastic service, in stock spares, and a team that is ready for you when you are. Yesterday i was bithing about a leaking fuel drain. I called mike at 14H45 - bent his ear, and at 15H45 when i arrived at Rainbow I was met with Walter, Mike and his team waiting for me to sort my drain issue out - in front of me while i waited! Problem solved with a smile and unrivaled service! Beat that -- i doubt it.
Pepper 5
Thinking of flying

Postby Pepper 5 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:41 pm

I read with great interest guys thanks for the input. I did go for 2hour gyro instruction earlier this year and a few things occurred to me, first of all is the great visibility but also the long ground run, that was a bit disturbing and put me off quite a bit. Would a RAF with the plenty horses not help in this regard?

I also like the idea of locally build plane a lot, the Cheetah is a very nice aerie. I'm doing my renewal later this year with Larry at Ladysmith and very much look forward to flying the Cheetah.

Also the Skyjeep is a very interesting aerie but not locally build and heavier than the Cheetah, how would the Bushbaby fit in with weight?
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Why not look at the Savannah. incredible plane. The take off and landing will surprise you. kits are brought in from Italy, and built by the agents in East London. John Waterson. Or you can build yourself.
Spares are always available, and a great team to work with.

Vernon.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:11 pm

When looking at planes that will be working hard it only makes sense to buy local. With the way the rand is going at the moment it will only make sense. The Safari and the Explorers are some of the few real aeroplanes out there that happen to fall in the LSA category as well. They are used all over for anti poaching and other applications. This year we celebrate our 20th production year, giving you peace of mind that we will be here in another 20. You can fly at 50mph as well as cruise at 100kts. Have a look at some of our videos.
http://www.fun2fly.co.za or http://www.saplanes.co.za or on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kitplanes ... 122?ref=hl and http://www.facebook.com/komatiflightacademy?ref=hl
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success