Amphibian on view- Springs airfield- Tuesday

Matters of general interest
Sideslip
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Amphibian on view- Springs airfield- Tuesday

Postby Sideslip » Mon May 13, 2013 11:59 am

Open invitation to all aviation enthusiasts:

SkyReach invite you all to join us for a viewing of our recently constructed BushCat Amphibian aircraft.
The first of its kind to grace South African skies in decades. The first locally designed LSA to get its feet wet – intentionally.
While there, we also invite you to all our other current projects & chat to the team that are designing, testing and assembling our products. We look forward to seeing you there.

Venue: Rainbow SkyReach
Hangar 27
Springs Airfield
Springs
Gauteng
South Africa

Date: Tuesday 14 May 2013
Time: 2pm to 6pm (drop in whenever your schedule suits)
Attachments
zebsmall.jpg
Mike Gill
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Amphibian on view- Springs airfield- Tuesday

Postby Nkwazi » Mon May 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Nice, how much?? I though there was a problem with the Water Affairs ito amphibians. Has that issue been sorted
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
CommanderKeen
Signed up at flight school

Postby CommanderKeen » Mon May 13, 2013 2:41 pm

As far as i know, it hasn't. The problem is the transfer of a species of water weed between bodies of fresh water within SA. All boats must have their hulls disinfected when transferred between different bodies of water.

Maybe allowed if only operate from same body of water?
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Very very nice!! do these come with disc brakes?? ## ## vhpy vhpy
Sideslip
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Sideslip » Mon May 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Turbo wrote:Very very nice!! do these come with disc brakes?? ## ## vhpy vhpy
They do! :oops:

Will we see you tomorrow Turbo?
Mike Gill
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Absolutely, supposed to go solo tomorrow morning, actually two weeks ago, just no time to get the paperwork done. :(

Pricing on the new plane??
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Ja Turbo... they use the "old drum brakes" as standby anchors ;-)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Mon May 13, 2013 10:36 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:As far as i know, it hasn't. The problem is the transfer of a species of water weed between bodies of fresh water within SA. All boats must have their hulls disinfected when transferred between different bodies of water.

I did a study on the matter several years ago. At the time of my research neither Water Affairs nor CAA could provide the alleged legislation. Unlike commonly perceived, there was never a law passed to prohibit amphibian operation. The, then Water Affairs and Forestry, passed a temporary advisory which was never recalled, but also not passed into law. It was to prevent the (at the time) hyacinth spread. Subsequent research proved that the spread is rather done by the flow of rivers, water birds and animals. No conclusive proof that aircraft or boats were the culprits was ever brought forward, hence the advisory was only meant as a pre-cautionary at the time. The whole issue is however open to debate today with current CAA definition of what is a place of landing, or not, as well as at what stage an aircraft becomes a watercraft and a pilot's license becomes a skipper's license. Somebody with money needs to fly the test.

P.S. Reiner Friebose's amphibian, the Seagle (ZU-SEA) at Brits, has made use of dams (Roodekoppies, Harties, Vaalkop) but it was found to be under powered at altitude (FABS is 3740ft ASL). Amphibians need a headwind and ideally choppy waters. He believes the ideal African market for it is in Mozambique's at the sea-level lagoons. But I will leave that science to the boffs to explain.

Having said all of the above: The BushCat sure looks a beauty ! Well done guys !!! vhpy
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
Sideslip
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Sideslip » Tue May 14, 2013 9:32 am

kloot piloot wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:As far as i know, it hasn't. The problem is the transfer of a species of water weed between bodies of fresh water within SA. All boats must have their hulls disinfected when transferred between different bodies of water.

I did a study on the matter several years ago. At the time of my research neither Water Affairs nor CAA could provide the alleged legislation. Unlike commonly perceived, there was never a law passed to prohibit amphibian operation. The, then Water Affairs and Forestry, passed a temporary advisory which was never recalled, but also not passed into law. It was to prevent the (at the time) hyacinth spread. Subsequent research proved that the spread is rather done by the flow of rivers, water birds and animals. No conclusive proof that aircraft or boats were the culprits was ever brought forward, hence the advisory was only meant as a pre-cautionary at the time. The whole issue is however open to debate today with current CAA definition of what is a place of landing, or not, as well as at what stage an aircraft becomes a watercraft and a pilot's license becomes a skipper's license. Somebody with money needs to fly the test.

P.S. Reiner Friebose's amphibian, the Seagle (ZU-SEA) at Brits, has made use of dams (Roodekoppies, Harties, Vaalkop) but it was found to be under powered at altitude (FABS is 3740ft ASL). Amphibians need a headwind and ideally choppy waters. He believes the ideal African market for it is in Mozambique's at the sea-level lagoons. But I will leave that science to the boffs to explain.

Having said all of the above: The BushCat sure looks a beauty ! Well done guys !!! vhpy
Hi Kloot.

Your info if pretty much the same as what I have – thanks for the detailed post on this matter. (and thanks for the compliment)

The great news is there is a good possibility that we can make some headway on this.

I have been in contact with Aeroclub and they are keen to assist with clarifying the laws and possibly even taking them on if necessary. We will in all probability also be forming an association under the auspices of Aeroclub dedicated to this sphere of recreational aviation (We would love to have you on board Kloot!) I tried calling Reiner yesterday but my calls went unanswered – I will try again today as I wish to run this point past him).
Mike Gill
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Nkwazi » Tue May 14, 2013 10:05 am

I've mailed the Misasa commitee to see if we can get some proper clarification on where amphibians can fly to and from. We'll keep you posted!!
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
Sideslip
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Sideslip » Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks Nkwazi. Please let me know what they say.

The problem seems to be that even the law makers don’t know where we stand here so its easier just to say "No you can’t".
Mike Gill
CommanderKeen
Signed up at flight school

Postby CommanderKeen » Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 pm

Kloot Piloot: Thank you for your information. I was never able to confirm the supposed "law" that everyone was quoting.
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Tue May 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Jaaaa John -- hahaha

Was at FASI today doing some more circuits and bumps - saw the plane in the air-- looks really nice, but when stand next to it, its HIGH!!

Nice one Sideslip --

still no pricing on it??