FATA to FYOP

Matters of general interest
PieterKotze
Ready for the first flight

FATA to FYOP

Postby PieterKotze » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Good Evening All,

I am hoping for some help. As a very fresh Gyro Guy, having never ventured further from my homebase than Witbank to the east and Zeerust to the west, I am involved in a venture in the faraway village of Opuwo, Namibia and I want to do a gyro flight there and back.

My plan is to do a FATA - FAPN (although there is a tread on Avcom that it seems that all immigration at FAPN is closed) or FALA (if I can convince them to take on a Gyro arrival), then via a friend's farm on the Bots border and onwards to Eros, so check out FAPN/FALA check in FYWE and then obviously onwards north to the village of Opuwo.

My request is simple:

1. Any Gyro guys of Microlighters that have done the Nam crossborder thing, and of course how did you do it? Do I get an Agent to do the Flight Plan?
2. Is it easy to check out FAPN/FALA and of course same question for Eros?
3. What applications/approvals are neaded to fly into and around Nam for say a week or 2?
4. Overnight parking in Eros, available/cost?
5. Of course the general question, anyone wants to go with vhpy ?
6. Is Mafikeng still a check out point? Some sites say "international" while acsa does not have them listed as international. Also must say last week FAPN was still on acsa as international and today they are gone. Whats happening?
7. Should I go to Bots and take a short cut to Nam?

As always I am confident the Microlighters will help with all kinds of info.

Pieter
Air Pollution
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: FATA to FYOP

Postby Bundy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:07 am

Hi Pieter,

Sounds like great fun. I'd suggest you contact Louis Cole on the forum. He is leaving for Nam on May 10th and will have all the details you need I'm sure for the "Crossing Buerocracy" ^

Check out his thread under Flying Events.. "Reach for a Dream" vhpy
CommanderKeen
Signed up at flight school

Postby CommanderKeen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Pieter

I flew A helicopter to SA from Angola in mid February and cleared customs at FAPN. It is quicker and easier than doing it at FALA. I will have to investigate if it is still possible to do so at FAPN, as I was intending to clear customs there on my way back to Angola. Will let you know what I find out.
Baitbird
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Baitbird » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:28 am

Call them

+27 (0) 14 552 1261 ( Help Desk)
also from ATNS contact details

Pilanesburg: FAPN
Linda Mbethe - Acting OIC
(t)+27 14 552 2154
(f)+27 14 552 2154

Last details for ATNS not ACSA - but they were alway helpful with any info needed.

Enjoy.

As a fellow gyro noise pollution it would be interesting to see your flight and fuel stop planning. Have been dreaming about a Botswana trip for years, but just never getting around to doing it.
the planning is half the joy already.
Fake people worry about their image.... Real people just don't give a damn!!!
CommanderKeen
Signed up at flight school

Postby CommanderKeen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:47 am

Just phoned FAPN and they say you can still clear customs and immigration there. I will do so on my return flight to Angola, as soon as all the paperwork is sorted!
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Guys

Yes, FAPN is open for customes etc. Did that flight the other day. They are open from 7am to 7pm. Easy friendly service (^^) As for Namibia, not sure what the procedure is but for Botswana all you need is a flight plan

Cheers
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)