Radio Licence renewals for 2013-2014 period

Matters of general interest
Peter.L.
Ready for the first flight

Radio Licence renewals for 2013-2014 period

Postby Peter.L. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi Everybody,

As a result of several enquiries and despite the risk of duplicating Gavin's post, I offer the following FYI.

On 14th January (last Monday) ICASA published Government Gazette number 36072 containing General Notice number 8 of 2013 referring to the renewal of Radio Frequency licences with particular reference to Aeronautical, Amateur and Ship Station licences, otherwise referred to as Multi-year licences. The gazette may be viewed or downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFil ... ?id=181869

One of the main points in the Notice is that renewal of licences must be done by the completion and submission of Form B as contained in the Notice and as referred to in regulation 9. of the Radio Frequency Spectrum regulations as published in GG number 34172 on 31st March 2011. One of the primary reasons for requiring renewals to be effected in this manner is to attempt to ensure that licensees' contact details are updated at least once per year for most licences but at least once every 5 years for the multi-year licences, such as aeronautical. This does not, however, absolve licensees from the existing requirement to advise ICASA within 14 days of any change in their contact details. As indicated in the Notice, licensees who have changed their contact details and not yet advised ICASA must please complete and submit Form B prior to 25th January to allow for renewal notices to be forwarded to the correct address. Licensees who's licence details are fully up to date should ensure that they submit Form B within sufficient time to allow renewal notices to reach them and for the required renewal fees to be paid by the due date, i.e 31st March 2013.

Regarding the multi-year licences, apart from only having to submit Form B once every 5 years (or less, dependent on the period for which the licence is required), the advantage of taking a multi-year licence may be seen from the following:-

Working on the base licence fee of R120.00, the fee for 1 year = R120.00; fee for 2 years = R230.00; fee for 3 years = R329.00; fee for 4 years = R419.00 and the fee for 5 years = R501.00.

Licensees are encouraged to consider applying for multi-year licences as above, however, please be aware that if a licence is requested for 5 years and the aerie is disposed of after 3 years, no refund of un-expended licence fees will be considered.

GG 36072 indicates the various addresses to which the documentation should be submitted and also contact telephone numbers for further enquiries. Licensees may of course also contact me via the forum email service or direct at telephone 031-3349515, or simply add another post to this thread.

Regards to all,

Peter
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Radio Licence renewals for 2013-2014 period

Postby Loco » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Many thanks Peter for your assistance once again!!! (^^)
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Filled in the form, emailed...
Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
Recipient address: SpecLicensing@icasa.org.za
Will try again.

As I understand it, I will now get some sort of reminder/invoice?
Attachments
icacsa.jpg
SoLo
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby SoLo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Peter
At the bottom of the form is a Commissioner Of Oaths section
Does the form have to be signed by a Commissioner Of Oaths? Seriously?
BUKS VAN NIEKERK

Postby BUKS VAN NIEKERK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:12 pm

hi peter,

thanks agian for your assistance, stupid question from me
my old licenced radio died a silent death, and i bought a new baby, must i do a normal renewal and pay R600 odd bucs again, or can the current licence changed to the new handheld?, (**)
Regte manne skiet nie renosters om n horing te kry
Peter.L.

Postby Peter.L. » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Gert - Hope you got the form thru at last. There was a considerable amount of congestion which probably caused the delivery failure. Once HQ have checked and verified the details on Form B they will send you an invoice for the fees due.

SoLo - Re the Commissioner, I'm afraid it is a HQ requirement but it shouldn't present too much of a problem as any SAPS officer, among others, is authorised to do that.

Buks - You can have the old radio deleted from the existing licence and the new one added at a cost of R100.00 additional to the normal licence fee. All we need is a letter explaining the circumstances of the replacement and indicating the make and model number of the new radio. It would probably be best if you could include the letter with the renewal application so everything can be done at the same time and the relevant fees included on a single invoice. Don't forget to attach a copy of your existing licence to the renewal documents.

Regards,

Peter
SoLo

Postby SoLo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:10 pm

And ALL of this by Friday, 25th ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
BUKS VAN NIEKERK

Postby BUKS VAN NIEKERK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks peter,
Have a great week (^^)
Regte manne skiet nie renosters om n horing te kry
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:36 pm

If I watch TV now and again, am I a "RADIO FREQUENCY SPECTRUM USER" ?

Because I do reply to TV transmissions ...

Everytime JZ talks to me
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 am

Halleluja (^^)

This is great news, Stef and I will be renewing for 5 years....takes one notch out of the annual paperwork trail. :wink:

Mr Lea, I thank you for your efforts. Will get the forms in asap Sir.

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
STEEL
Pre flight checks done

Postby STEEL » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 am

I see most of the posts are for renewal of radio license.
What is the procedure/ application form to use for first time applications?
Thanks,
ZU-EKX
Peter.L.

Postby Peter.L. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Steel,

The procedure for a new application is very different from renewal of an existing licence. I've attached below the procedure involved and a guide to the information required, which is rather brief and by no means inclusive of all contingencies. If you have any problems with the application please email me at pleonard@icasa.org.za or phone on 031-3349515 between 0900 and 1630 Monday to Friday. Just for info and topicality, there is a similar discussion thread running on the Avcom forum and the info below is posted there under the ICASA section where you may find some additional info.

Unfortunately licences cannot be transferred from one owner to the next. The same as when you buy and sell a car, the new owner must obtain his/her own licence. Here is the link to the application forms on our website:

https://www.icasa.org.za/Portals/0/Regu ... cation.pdf

Once completed, the forms may be e-mailed, snail-mailed or hand delivered to any of ICASA's Regional offices in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein or Durban or direct to our HQ in Johannesburg. Contact details are on our website under "About Us". Faxing is possible but not recommended as the quality of faxed documents can be very impaired. Proof of payment of the total applicable fee of R600.00 (R480.00 1-time application fee plus R120.00 annual licence fee) must accompany the application forms and either a copy of an individual ID book or a copy of the company registration document, depending on whether the application is in respect of an individual or a company, must also be attached. Account details for payment are: Bank - Nedbank; Branch - CCS Pretoria; Account holder - ICASA; Account number - 1462002927; Branch code - 14624500; Reference - the Aircraft's registration letters, e.g. ZS-ABC, and the owner's name. This payment may be made by direct deposit at any Nedbank branch or by EFT via the web.

It is strongly recommended that copies of all documentation and payments submitted be retained, "just in case", either as physical or electronic files, and it is further recommended that a letter of confirmation of receipt be requested from the office to which the application is forwarded. Apart from catering for that "just in case" occurrence, such copies should assist with registration with the CAA.

Peter
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Peter.L., thanks for all your hard work.
Please correct me if I am mis-informed. This is for radio stations and not for handhelds ?
Stations are radios fixed to aircraft ? Pardon me being a bit dof with all the legal terms.
Roel vhpy
Roel Jansen
Peter.L.

Postby Peter.L. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Roel,

Negative. A radio station can be radio equipment fix-mounted in an aerie or a handheld carried on & off the aerie or a combination of both. It can also be a handheld licensed to an individual and used on different aeries as a back-up or emergency unit. The "Form B' process is applicable to all radio installations, be they fixed aircraft stations, ground control stations or handhelds as indicated above if the handheld is licensed individually, i.e. it does not form part of the normal aircraft installation.
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks for clarifying that one Peter ! vhpy
Roel Jansen