SLA for training

Matters of general interest
Kleinmeid123
Heard about flying

SLA for training

Postby Kleinmeid123 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to discuss, but need some opinions.

I would like to start flying and is researching different aircraft. SLA is more cost effective than the Cessna 172 .Comparing the Jabiru J430 with the Foxbat:
1. Seems that the Foxbat has a lower stall speed, 28 vs 50 knts.
2. Also wondering how the Rotax 912 engine compaires with the 3300cc Jabiru engine: maintenance, reliability
3. The Jab has higher cruize and top speeds than the Fox.
4. Wonder which one will be the more economical to maintain.
5. Not sure about the fuel consumption. The 6cyl might be burning more.
6. Can 1 be safer than the other?
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Re: SLA for training

Postby Cacofonix » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:06 pm

All aircraft are safe. Period! It's the brain behind the stick...... Train on any one as I see you want to learn to fly. There's a plane, there's an instructor. Yeeehaaa! Learn to fly, they know the aircraft they training you on, to a t. Look at what you can afford right now. no matter which, get your butt in the air! Once you learn and understand then......get to know the differences. Follow your heart. We all are different but taking to the skies is a dream to be fulfilled! Go for it!
Man small...why fall?..Skies call...that's all.
ZU-EJU
Kalahari
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby Kalahari » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm

I suppose you mean LSA, if that is what you mean, as far as I know the J430 does not fall in LSA category. It all depends on what type of license you want to train for. If it is for PPL you way use the J430.
Arrogance and rudeness are the training wheels on the bicycle of life for those who can not keep their balance without it!
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:39 am

I am currently training on the Jabi and the j120 is a perfect training aircraft. As for the Foxbat, it is the same speed as the 120 but lot slower than J400 and 430. It is possible to do lsa in the j400 if is registered as a J200 which means the back seats are taken out

Foxbat has always been one of my favourite planes. Love them so you cannot go wrong but the are scarce as the guys who own them never want to sell.

Jabi's according to my limited experience are rather difficult to fly with the short wings but the ones fitted wipth the 430 wing fly great. If you can fly the Jab, you can fly almost all the others.

Good luck with your decisions. I had to go throught the same a few months ago
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
Kleinmeid123
Heard about flying

Postby Kleinmeid123 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Sorry about the spelling.

Thank you very much for the advice. I also like the foxbat, but the Jab is also a favorite. The main thing is to start flying