Long Standing Club Traditions

Matters of general interest
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

Long Standing Club Traditions

Postby GR8-DAD » Thu May 18, 2006 11:35 am

Many different clubs have long standing traditions when it comes to a solo sending off ceremony or a wings ceremony etc. The meaning of some of these gets lost with the "younger generations" and it would be interesting to maybe hear some of these on this forum and share with us.

At WFC you get your tie cut off, made to down a stywe dop ( I practice this at home all the time ), balance gets turned over on your head and then the group gets to "become" a B-52 human replica on the clubhouse porch, with all the engine sounds and machine gun chatter, engine fire and then the extinguishing part :twisted: :twisted: And nearly forgot, the group sings for you as well, but boy, Pilots were born to fly, not sing :twisted: Great fun, don't know however what the symbolic meaning of cutting the tie is :oops:
Nooitgedacht: 124.8 Alt 1050 ft
S 32°16'49.8 E 18°53'33.0
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Thu May 18, 2006 1:08 pm

This event is celebrated at Algoa Flying Club, in the Gremlins Grotto (our pub) in front of our club members.

One of the criteria is that the student pilot must attend the event in a tie. The student is then made to down a drink, from atop a stack of beer crates - just enough crates to ensure that they cannot stand up straight and their head is against the roof to make it extremely difficult for them to drink.

Following this ceremony, that takes place in front of club members in attendance, their tie is cut and placed on our clubhouse wall, for all to admire. Some of our ties on the wall date back to the early 40's.

RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu May 18, 2006 1:28 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: Wish we had club at FAGM :cry: :cry: :cry:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Thu May 18, 2006 1:53 pm

I have heard of this tradition:

"According to lore, the tradition of cutting a student pilot's shirt stems from the early days of flying, when instructors sat behind students in the cockpit. With no radio connection, instructors would yank on students' clothing to send signals. As a celebration of a solo, they cut the back out of your shirt. "

And I have heard of being ceremonially dunked after going solo but I have never heard of the tie cutting tradition before?
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Thu May 18, 2006 7:20 pm

At CFS Dunnottar the student pilot was not allowed to walk fron the plane at all. He was carried and thrown into a mud bath but later in the pupes pub that night he gets given a drinking lesson, not that they ever needed that.

Lovely to see such a cluhouse as per the photo.

My first solo at Krugersdorp was with the cutting of the tie and some Barenjager to drink oh brother was I bothered the next day wiff a headace.

The second time with the MPL was a huge dissapointment after the landing, I always had a cooler box on hand, we do not have the facilities just yet but working on it.

I will speak to the editor of Afskies and see if we cannot do something in the mag, that could work well and we can see who went solo with a pic and a/c type
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
afskies scribe
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby afskies scribe » Fri May 19, 2006 2:56 am

The Agent wrote:...I will speak to the editor of Afskies and see if we cannot do something in the mag, that could work well and we can see who went solo with a pic and a/c type
8) :idea: Agent, we could run a regular column and celebrate the newbies in each region! So, come on, you guys know what to do: jot down the details, add the pics, email to editor@afskies.co.za and Bob's your uncle or The Scribe's your aunt :!: :) :D :lol:

Demon, you guys are simply the best fun :!: =D*
scribbles
Nothing beats FLYing!
ZU-FLY
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Fri May 19, 2006 6:57 am

I would like to make a prophecy - I think that a certain magazine is going to replace another certain magazine as the mouthpiece of microlighters in Southern Africa.............much like this site seems to be the gathering place for SA microlighters online...........

(Can't remember when I last took a look at the "official" site).

One wonders why? (rhetorical question)
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Fri May 19, 2006 7:49 am

Thanks Afskies I think it will be a winner.

Cloud Warrior are you clairviont because then I am to and in agreement.

What I think we will need is the airfield or club name type of a/c and the name of the new solo pilot with small photo.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Fri May 19, 2006 10:28 am

Damn - I feel cheated - did not have solo or wings parties at my school :-( . Actually, probably a good thing, as I am a tea-totaler ;-)

-justin
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Fri May 19, 2006 10:29 am

Good idea Agent!
afskies scribe
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby afskies scribe » Fri May 19, 2006 12:55 pm

The Agent wrote:Thanks Afskies I think it will be a winner.

Cloud Warrior are you clairviont because then I am to and in agreement.

What I think we will need is the airfield or club name type of a/c and the name of the new solo pilot with small photo.
Yebo !!!! :!: ... And let's add what kind of ritual the poor newbie was subjected to :shock: whether it's the tie-cutting thing or the shirt off the poor bugger's back, doing down-downs while standing on his head or having to carry around a whole bag of old bones... :evil: :twisted: :!: this way we'll make sure it goes down in the annals of aviation history :!:
scribbles
Nothing beats FLYing!
ZU-FLY
Bacchus
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Bacchus » Fri May 19, 2006 1:03 pm

At Fisantekraal I seem to be the only one who drinks!
First braai I attended I rock up there with my coolerbox and ice, and everybody is drinking coffee and coke. Here they pour a jug of water over your head when you go solo. No drinks. And I practised too!
:cry:
ZU-GFC COBRA
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

New tradition

Postby LarryMcG » Fri May 19, 2006 2:09 pm

We have a 100 hour tradition, and have a number of members! Herewith one of the latest ones.

L

Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri May 19, 2006 3:12 pm

Bacchus wrote:At Fisantekraal I seem to be the only one who drinks!
Bachuss, you really need to hook up with us Morning Star boys. BTW when are we having your party, OU Man has been threatening to throw something, come now
Greg Perkins
Sonex711
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Re: New tradition

Postby Sonex711 » Fri May 19, 2006 3:48 pm

LarryMcG wrote:We have a 100 hour tradition, and have a number of members! Herewith one of the latest ones.
Don't try that this weekend... forcast is that it will be a bit nippy
Andrew
Savannah flyer
S25 55 54.80 E028 04 34.40
=D* =D* =D*