African Pilot, Aeroclub and us "thugs" (NOT)

Matters of general interest
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: African Pilot, Aeroclub and us "thugs" (NOT)

Postby kloot piloot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:33 am

Sorry Playboy, what I tried to say was that a clearer line should be drawn between RAASA and AeCSA.

The fact is that you do not have to belong to Aero Club, BUT, as a microlighter you do have to get an annual inspection done by an AP/AMO.

If the said AP is not "underwritten" by Aero Club, then you will not be issued with an ATF by RAASA.

No ATF - no fly.
think I must go back to GA!! Had none of this S#it there!!

Ag no man ... then you will not be allowed to change your own spark plugs :lol:
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:33 am

Let me post this.... we didn't do it chaps... CAA did ;-)
94.06.1 (1) Any person operating a non-type certificated aircraft for aviation recreational purposes or in air displays, shall comply with the standards and procedures determined by the organisation approved for the purpose in terms of Part 149, if any, and if applicable.

(2) Any person operating a non-type certificated aircraft for aviation recreational purposes shall be a bona fide member of an applicable aviation recreation organisation approved by the Commissioner in terms of Part 149 and abide by its constitution and code of conduct, if any.

(3) For the purposes of this Subpart, and until such time that an organisation has been approved in terms of Part 149, any person operating a non-type certificated aircraft for aviation recreational purposes or in air displays, shall comply with the flight operation standards and procedures prescribed for its members by the national body representative of the particular aviation sport, provided that these standards and procedures include those prescribed in, and are not in conflict with, the provisions of this Part.
I hope that clears up the issue.

Furthermore - MISASA represents all aircraft 600kg's (excluding Gyros who have their own ARO) and below. To just refer to it as the microlighting fraternity may skew the idea of the aircraft type and pilot class we represent. It therefore includes the Light Sport Aeroplane class, CCM & WCM.
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:43 am

JB, you are just confusing us with facts now ... :lol: (^^)

I won't mention any of this to my racing pidgeons ...
Roel Jansen
Athol Terence
Looking at the sky

Postby Athol Terence » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:44 am

Hi again everyone,

I really don't want to continue this negative spat, but GL has forced me to correct the statement he posted.

At no time did I make this statement, because I am aware of the person who did make the statement that GL has quoted. At the time (Tedderfield Shoot Out) I actually reprimanded the person who I know very well and I don’t intend revealing that person’s name. This has been taken completely out of context so that GL can score points and it simply does not belong on this forum. When has SAF ever carried any Microlight article anyway?

As someone has already said the Microlighters Forum does not have the level of rubbish that AVCOM has and you all wish to keep it that way. For the record, I seldom post on AVCOM where GL is a moderator for this reason.

I am sorry this nonsense has been raised on your forum and I will do my best to keep out of any future scraps in aviation, because it is not healthy for the industry.

Blue skies,
Athol Terence
Playboy
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Playboy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:44 am

kloot piloot wrote:Sorry Playboy, what I tried to say was that a clearer line should be drawn between RAASA and AeCSA.

The fact is that you do not have to belong to Aero Club, BUT, as a microlighter you do have to get an annual inspection done by an AP/AMO.

If the said AP is not "underwritten" by Aero Club, then you will not be issued with an ATF by RAASA.

No ATF - no fly.
think I must go back to GA!! Had none of this S#it there!!

Ag no man ... then you will not be allowed to change your own spark plugs :lol:
So if the AP is underwritten and does belong to Aero Club and he does my annual inspection..........I dont have to belong to Aero Club??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Brendan Botha
ZS-Nothing at this stage
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Brendan... you have an NPL licence... you fly a weight shift trike - you have to belong to relevant organisation as per my post above. Belonging to Power Flying for example, aint going to work as it does not have an ARO yet or represents your class of aircraft

I have a PPL... however, my aeroplane gets serviced by an Aeroclub listed AP and it is recognised as an LSA - AEROCLUB & MISASA
Last edited by John Boucher on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Playboy,
Well yes, that is how I understand the theory anyway. Radio Controlled operators, hang gliders and paragliders are not subjected to AP's, so why the need for them to be Aero Club members. But the downside, as mentioned elsewhere, is who will lead united fights for our airspace, against transponders in a trike or represent the FAI side of the sport ? Unless each section does it for themselves. Bit uncoordinated.

Shouldn't AeCSA be the united front with its members being the sections instead of all the individual pilots (who are allready payng members of their sections) ? But I think that becomes a whole different discussion.
Roel Jansen
Athol Terence
Looking at the sky

Postby Athol Terence » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi Kloot Pilot,

As John B has pointed out almost every section must belong to a centralised body of some sort and this includes MISASA, Hang Gliders, Parachuting and even Model Aircraft flyers. There many reasons, but the most important are air space coordination, FAI for competitions, South African national colours (Protea) and civil aviation regulations.

Even radio model flyers have to fly within a designated airspace areas, whilst several of the members of these clubs compete at an international level.

Parachuting has designated drop zones that are certified on maps and they are licenced.

The Hang and Paragliding pilots use specific designated cliffs from which they jump and fly and they too have type ratings.

Microlighters also use specific and designated training airfields as well as participating in FAI sanctioned competitions. As you already know every Microlight pilot should have a specific type rating.

Apart from the Development and Virtual sections, every section of the AeCSA is subject to state / SA CAA rules and regulations. The whole concept of RAASA is to provide a regulator that knows and understands our sport, recreational and private aviation. The AeCSA is the body that pulls this altogether by having a section chairman on the main board to specifically oversee the interests of that particular section.

I will be spelling this out in the December edition when the rules and regulations are discussed and these rules will also be published in the AeCSA's Year Book that will be called 'Sport Aviation over South Africa' this year. In a nutshell we all need the AeCSA, but we all need to help fix what has been a problem for some of the members. I understand that MISASA's executive has met with the AeCSA's executive and many issues have been already thrashed out. I urge all of you reading this to move on and help MISASA and the AeCSA deliver excellent service to all the members.

Although I am not any sort of office bearer, I have been working with the AeCSA for so many years now that I almost feel that this is my second home. Also I sincerely believe that MISASA’s executive board is well equipped to manage the affairs of the Microlight sector. vhpy

Regards,
Athol Terence.
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:57 pm

.. and with all the AvCom bashing that continues on this forum - that is just not cool guys. :cry:

A challenge was issued earlier this week to the likes of this forum :
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 5#p1158093
cornell
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby cornell » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Yip are we talking about the same Avcom that donated R10 000 to the S&R fund or R20 000 to the Fly safety campaign or that donated a RC plane to train up and coming pilots :?:
Petrol attendent in training
cornell
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby cornell » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:04 pm

I really don't know why some ML okes have such a low self esteem to even worry about some comments made but a quick google search and I found this vhpy

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/thi ... elf-esteem

BE THE LION GRRRRRRRRR :twisted:
Petrol attendent in training
Agair
Thinking of flying

Postby Agair » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Athol Terence wrote:,

....When has SAF ever carried any Microlight article anyway?.....

Athol Terence
Well I know of one... some years ago they had an article on microlights used in crop spraying.

I know it as I was the author of that article...
Playboy
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Playboy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks to all who replied on my question...how ever I still think this is a load of Bull Crap seeing that we get treated like S#it at AGM's ## ## ## ##
We pay every year and what do we see......sweet blow F all :!: :!:

Thanks again and end of my discussion on this toppic!

Fly safe

Brendan
Brendan Botha
ZS-Nothing at this stage
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Before this thread degenerates into an AVCOM like bashing system and our mods have to intervene, to AF & GL.
Athol, clearly you are missing the point ... I wrote the above. Understand this that most of the chaps that frequent microlighters.co.za are also AVCOM users. You immediately turn the situation around and go do exactly that what I asked not to happen. Aaaag no man ##
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

(**)

So according to this thread it comes down to this...

MISASA vs Aero Club
African Pilot vs SA Flyer
Microlighters vs Avcom ($$)
What's next, bliks vs samoosas? ##
Last time I checked, we all share the same sky :roll:

I'm done with this....it's time to check the weather and fly! (!!)
Plane-less