Anybody got a Quill

Matters of general interest
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Anybody got a Quill

Postby alanmack » Mon May 08, 2006 6:41 pm

Microflight Africa (The Magazine) > If you have not already received it, you should shortly be receiving the second copy of Microflight Africa to be issued this year. Mine is still in the post, so I suspect that some of you may also be waiting for it to arrive.

You will notice that this issue has a focus on the Eastern Cape. I have been promised content from KZ-N (Paul Lintott, Mike French & Dave Jackson) for the next issue to be published in two months time (we are on target to post 6 issues this year vs the 4 issues in previous years). It takes about a month to finalise, print and post so content needs to be in by the end of May. Mike Cathro too has promised an article and Clinton Phillips per his promise is waiting for Mondi to increase paper production so he can finish his stories. I have received some fantastic pictures for the next photo competition form Alasdair McDonald (Queenstown) but so far he is the only entry. You’ll have to notch up your talents over the next month to take the current race away from Alasdair but please do try. Cell phone photos too are ok but they will have to be printed as small images. The bigger the file size the better. We cannot publish all entries!

What about making a contribution – Give the clubs in your province a call and create a focus on your region! The Western Cape is scheduled for a focus in the next issue but so far I have only a personality profile (on guess who) that has been written up by Mike Blyth. Perhaps another region may like to take up this slot if the Western Cape is indeed hibernating for the wet winter. The following issue has space earmarked for the Northern Cape. Is there life after the Bundu Bash or is it buried in Rietfontein, Loubos or Molopo until the next Bundu Bash? The current issue features content from an Australian farmer (They are closer I believe) – surely we have farmers on the block? If so, hello to you – please send me a story about how your Microlight brings on the rains, at least, if nothing else, how it creates your gentle rain dreams!

Please note that stories often need to be edited to fit available space. If you are not comfortable with writing the story then write down a few bullet points, in any order and I will write up the story. If you prefer to fax input to me my number is 086 680 8093. I have over the last couple of issues also written up stories after getting input over the phone – so if you are busy but can spare a call – give me a ring 082 373 4947. Finally please email content to alanmack@iafrica.com

Safe flying

Alan Mackenzie
Microflight Africa Editor etc
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Mon May 08, 2006 7:33 pm

Alan,

It is great to see that the gauteng-based micro hierarchy is taking an interest in other regions as well. But don't make the Western Cape sound too good, we dont want an influx or reflux. Apart from the Nigerians taking up the best parking spots, we nowadays also have a problem with all the foreigners (ie everyone from the other side of the Hottentotsholland Berge) coming to buy our prime properties and upsetting us when we drive at 30km/h in the right hand lane, with their constant running and cycling making us look bad in the eyes of nevermind. Imagine what will happen if we get all the gauteng microlighters as well, now that our ATC has shrinked a full 500 feet we will have major congestion and constipation.

As for your misconception that we hibernate in the winter, I think you are confusing the terms hiber-nate and stag-nate. Here in the Western Cape we are proud to be doing the latter all year round. As long as it does not involve getting up too early, we enjoy winter flying. See all my posts last winter (www.zu-dve.com) - I fly as often as possible, but it is not only the crisp and clear windless winterdays that motivate me. It is also the need to escape domestic bliss. Which reminds me of two fellow microlighters telling me a couple of weeks ago what they had to promise the bitter halves before coming to the field. One had to promise he would cut the grass, the other was going to paint the living room. And you, they asked. Ah, I woke up my wife and said 'want a bit of nooky or shall I go flying?' and her response was a drowsy 'fly carefully'.

As for your personality profiles, we have been discussing this. If we can get ourselves to stay sober for long enough we will all line up and take a picture of our profiles at sunset next weekend. One of our frequent flyers recently abandoned a flip 'cause his trike would not gain altitude, after inspecting the trike, and him, we diagnosed the problem as a mother of a babalaas. I suspect he will not make it to the line-up. In the meantime, not quite a personality profile, but here goes my entry for microlighter picture. Only my Jack Russell makes more pitstops than our esteemed chairman (this one at Caledon on Saturday)

Please let me know when you are coming to the Western Cape to do your article. If you need a place you can stay with me & I will show you round. Anything not to work. Now let me get back to that double.

PS We don't have any quills here, will an ostrich or a guinea fowl do?
Last edited by gertcoetzee on Mon May 08, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Invite to the Cape

Postby alanmack » Mon May 08, 2006 8:05 pm

Cape Town is an "old home town" for me. Thanks for the invite I'll try and keep using it - over and again. I have just spent a few weeks in Cape Town - Great Cheese and Wine festival last week-end. The smoked crocodile tail, after a few bottles of wine, seemed to even be better than the chilli pesto! What have you done with the waterblommetjie? - There was none on show! I should be back in June and will contact you then. Please send me a phone number so dat ek kan leer waar is die mense in die kaap want ek will hulle orr die kop slaan met my guitaar (en 'n makriel) so dat hulle boude harmonise met stories!
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Quill Broken..Apple MAC werking...

Postby ZULU1 » Sun May 21, 2006 7:31 am

As promised and delivered a tEkneecel article duly written and tested on the Vertex Standard Pilot 3 with all its nooks and crannies showing its pics in my swimming pool.

Next issue look forward to some more interesting toys...who knows it may be an Airmap or possibly a Transponder??.

I only test toys for Microlights though...so if you are a importer or manufacturer...talk to the Cheeeef Quill and we will pull it to pieces with total unbiased reporting.

eish Zulu1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..