Matters of general interest
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: THE MICROLAND THREAD..."Home of the Tailwinds"

Postby Bundy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey Loco?

Whats the story with the new name dude? vhpy

Working Friday, but will be at FABA on Thu. (!!)
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Bundy wrote:Hey Loco?

Whats the story with the new name dude? vhpy

Working Friday, but will be at FABA on Thu. (!!)
haha long story, pool game, lots of alcohol, etc. etc. but my story is the following and i'm sticking to it:
loco - Slang. an insane person; maniac
(^^)
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Hey Loco, Ant, you have one of these iPad thingemagumies mounted on your leg. How do you weatherproof the thing?

And John.com, you are also a seasoned inflight gadget user. Pse help. I have seen your thread on this thing but it is a bit inconclusive. (**) ...for me.

Friday WX looks awsome. Loco / Ant maybe you can show some of the Tailwinds where "Renosterkop" is. Op die rand van die aarde :shock: :shock:
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:21 pm

mulderpm wrote:Hey Loco, Ant, you have one of these iPad thingemagumies mounted on your leg. How do you weatherproof the thing?

And John.com, you are also a seasoned inflight gadget user. Pse help. I have seen your thread on this thing but it is a bit inconclusive. (**) ...for me.

Friday WX looks awsome. Loco / Ant maybe you can show some of the Tailwinds where "Renosterkop" is. Op die rand van die aarde :shock: :shock:
Hi Paul, I use a very nifty knee pad mount which I got from the pilot shop @ Lanseria: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20025&hilit=ipad#p193803

I've gotten so used to flying with the moving map can't imagine flying without it (but I still keep my Garmin GPS as backup just in case)

Renosterkop sounds like a plan I'll let you know closer to the time if you guys still keen to go that direction :)
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:50 am

Any of you on leave Friday? I'm thinking of flying to Sue's place (west of Harties)
Will be an awesome trip let me know who wants to join (^^)
We can take extra fuel cans on the back seats
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Alpha
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:10 am

Hey Loco...

I am on leave on friday...why not take a flight to Klip, then we can hit the vaal river??? (^^)
Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory - Flying is making moments, memories

ZS-WGT
ZU-AAS
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:49 am

Alpha wrote:Hey Loco...

I am on leave on friday...why not take a flight to Klip, then we can hit the vaal river??? (^^)
Hey Alpha eish so many choices sounds very cool, so its either renosterkop, Vaal or Sue (Harties) whats the consensus guys?
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 am

Hi Ant. Is that knee pad of yours 100% waterproof? Like you can dunk it in a swimming pool for 10 minutes and it will be dry inside?

I found a transparrent book bag, A4 size, that has a heavy duty zip lock type closing mechanism on the one side. I have dunked it and it does not leak at all. Now I am going to fit a strechable velcro knee strap to the underside along with an aluminium plate bent in an open U shape. I want to velcro this strapped platform to the A4 bag. If I can buy something like this then I will do so, but from what I have seen, none are 100% waterproof. ##
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:19 am

Mulder s079

Do you plan on flying in the rain that it has to be 100% waterproof :?:

Does the bag you refer to allow you to use the touch screen :?:

I am keen on flying with an Ipad..so lemme know if all these ideas work out..so far my Pilot 3 and a normal vfr map is awesome :mrgreen:

One thing I do like about the Ipad,is being able to check weather update as you fly...awesome ##

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 am

mulderpm wrote:Hi Ant. Is that knee pad of yours 100% waterproof? Like you can dunk it in a swimming pool for 10 minutes and it will be dry inside?

I found a transparrent book bag, A4 size, that has a heavy duty zip lock type closing mechanism on the one side. I have dunked it and it does not leak at all. Now I am going to fit a strechable velcro knee strap to the underside along with an aluminium plate bent in an open U shape. I want to velcro this strapped platform to the A4 bag. If I can buy something like this then I will do so, but from what I have seen, none are 100% waterproof. ##
Hi Paul no its not 100% waterproof, i don't think it has to be, i've flown in the rain with it at times and the cover is sufficient, also the cover is nice and easy to remove quickly in-flight if you want to click something on the iPad, but give it a try and see how it works for you (^^)
So where we flying Friday?! And which app you going to use on your iPad?
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks Ant. Will look at your setup. Ja, didn't think about the requirement to open the screen up to tap on it. Doesn't tapping work with the screen covered? Swiping definitly does.
Loco wrote:So where we flying Friday?!
In the sky :lol: Duno. I would like to see your "renosterkop" place. But fly ,I am going to. ($$)
Loco wrote:And which app you going to use on your iPad?
I bought Air Nav Pro and the South Africa WAC 500K map. It is great. What sold me on that app was the fact that it can do almost real time tracking. By just logging onto their support web site, Dionne or anyone can find me instantly if I am in trouble. What a safety feature (^^) What I don't like is that some of the airfield info is incorrect and that METAR-TAF (weather) is not available for some large airports like OR Tambo (now FAOR) and Durban's King Shaka. Do you have the same problem?
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

Hi all,

It is becoming more and more difficult for Alan and me to decide on issues that affect Tailwinds. There has been money collected by the Episodes in the Lapa and there is now a profit in the fridge. In our opinion the highest priority is to replace the “braai”. We were looking at various options keeping in mind that by Han’s instruction, it may not be build into the Lapa. One option is two or more portable kettle braais, like Weber/Cadac (wind proof) the other is one or more heavy duty open braais like the one Stef has (made out of a steel car rim). We also want to put up a roof over the braai so that the braaiers can stand in the shade and eventually close off the one side to block the wind.

For these decisions to be made we need to ask for inputs/vote from the “members” of Tailwinds. The mission of Tailwinds, in my humble opinion, is firstly to fly together, when possible, for fun and safety. Secondly, to organise events and facilities which will generate a profit which will be used, with the concensis of the members, for the benifit of the members and betterment of the facilities at Microland. Thirdly, to promote Microlight flying and Microland Airfield to anyone interested. We do not envisage Tailwinds to become a club (like ERMF) with fees and meetings and AGM’s and all that boring stuff that no one wants’ to take part in.

From the votes for the name I have the following members:

Alan Hussey
Stefan Oosthuizen
Paul Mulder
Jaco Brits
Faizel Sallie
Conrad Du Preez
Dawid Mentz
Dr. Joe
Nick Swart
Noel

We must draw up a list with the contact details of each member so that if there is something to decide/vote on then we can do this electronically. No need for meetings. Therefore, if you want to be part of Tailwinds then PM me you contact details.

I will also put up a notice to this effect in the Lapa so that those who are technically challenged or do not visit Microlighters can join. :wink:

Fly Safe (-)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:42 pm

To add to what Paul has said above.

The Microland Tailwinds should be more of a fellowship, than a club.

Most clubs are run within a Committee type framework. This gives it structure, heirachy and administration as well as a central core where decisions are made. It is also the biggest reason why they fail so many times because ordinary members feel alienated during decision making processes and internal politics are inevitable in such a structured enviroment....ERMF was a victim (I believe) of exactly this.

No. The Tailwinds must be different guys. vhpy

The primary objective as said is simply to fly together as a part of a group. With this comes the obvious need for a basic "club" atmosphere which is based solely on the "willing participant" principle. Now that we are steadily raising funds for improvements, the need for some sort of structure is becoming apparent. We really want you involved in this to help us set goals and achieve them one by one and ensure we have the best interests of the Tailwinds as a priority. Everything we do must be for the benefit of us all.

None of us feels like hosting agm's and monthly meetings? This is exactly what I think we should steer clear of. However, there is a need for decision making and this is why we will need a "Membership list". Let those who are willing participants dictate the terms. (^^)

Membership is free....all that is required is participation. 8)
cobra
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby cobra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:12 am

Bundy wrote:....ERMF was a victim (I believe) of exactly this.
Hi Bundy hope you well !!

As they say there are always 2 sides of the story ($$) and then there is the truth. I can assure you it is not a question of ordinary members feel alienated during decision making processes and internal politics......this may be far from the truth.

Thumbs-up (^^) keep the group small and emotions will be at a minimum :wink:

PS: Don't forget where the lovely LAPA comes from and when taking that next beer from the PUB fridge, let's say thanks to ERMF (^^)
Aerotrike Cobra
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:43 am

Madman wrote:Mulder s079

Do you plan on flying in the rain that it has to be 100% waterproof :?:

Does the bag you refer to allow you to use the touch screen :?:

I am keen on flying with an Ipad..so lemme know if all these ideas work out..so far my Pilot 3 and a normal vfr map is awesome :mrgreen:

One thing I do like about the Ipad,is being able to check weather update as you fly...awesome ##

(^^)
I don't plan to fly in rain but shit happens. I have had two occasions where I was soaked. An open iPad would not have survived. My intercom and radio stopped working. The transparent pouch that I want to use does not affect the touch screen. Works like always. I think using an iPad inflight is a major safety device. puff Will let you know how it works. ($$)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria