ZU and ZS RADIO CALLS

Matters of general interest
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

ZU and ZS RADIO CALLS

Postby GR8-DAD » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:20 am

When I took up flying a short while ago I was under the impression that all rules are clearly defined and known to everyone (all pilots) - and that everyone obeyd it religiously - boy, how wrong I was... I think that is also evident from all the sharing of info on this forum, and this forum has now become my primary source of relevant information for me to be and stay a safe and good pilot. That brings me to the point of the radio calls to be made when your aerie is either ZS or ZU registered...

This is from a conversation I had with a senior ATC and I'd like to check it with you guys (and galls).

When your aircraft is ZU-XXX registered and you identify yourself on the air you have to call: Zulu, Uniform, XXX where-as ZS-XXX registered craft only needs to call XXX.

Reason for this apparently is cause it has happend that you get ZS-ABC as well as ZU-ABC sometime in the same airfield or at the same airshow etc. I have never heard anyone calling ZU-XXX... :oops:

Any comments?
Nooitgedacht: 124.8 Alt 1050 ft
S 32°16'49.8 E 18°53'33.0
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:39 am

If your reg is ZU-ABC:

When doing TIBA, it is OK to use ABC, as long as no-one else is on frequency with the same last three digits, in which case, both should use their full callsigns.

When talking to an ATC, ALWAYS introduce yourself with your full reg 'ZU-ABC', the controller will reply with a shortened callsign that you can use from then on (eg. ABC).

When flying outside SA, the usual contraction would be 1st letter + last 2 letters eg. ZBC.

-justin
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:52 am

It is also just for the first ID thereafter just the last three digits. When you make your fist call also tell him your a/c type and that also makes other pilots in and around the circuit aware and what to look for, it also gives the ATC an idea of your speed for separation and some other factors.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:04 am

Some guys/gals also add "Microlight" to the AUK. I don't since it's too much to say except the first contact with ATC, they will then know I am a microlight, thus slow, and have the full reg ZU-AUK. There after as Justin says, they respond with AUK and that's what I use from then on.

When flying around on 124.8 I just use AUK, or in a gaggle of planes I use "AUK and one/two/three etc others" This way you don't flood the airwaves with radio calls. 124.8 can get very busy.

If I am going to cross through controlled airspace I usually phone ahead, tell them who, what, where, when etc. They then have our details, know when to expect us, and you don't have to go through all the details of Microlight ZU-AUK and ZU-BOM,and ZU-ABC... which takes up valuable ATC time.

AUK: This case I call "George Tower, ZU-AUK good morning", ( they already know I am a microlight and in a group of 4 and have the registrations.)
George Tower: AUK - George Tower good morning
AUK: George Tower, AUK and 4 others inbound in formation, abeam Mosselbay, Request clearance to fly ..........
George Tower: AUK cleared to......Fly at 1500ft, QNH 1014, call abeam.......
From now on I don't say add the "and 4 others" part just
repeat the ATC commands
AUK: Cleared to ... maintain 1500ft,QNH 1014, Call abeam .....AUK
Once abeam,
AUK: George Tower, AUK abeam ....... (you don't have to wait for them to come back first just tell them in one sentence.
More instructions until you are cleared out.
George: AUK call abeam Wilderness
AUK: Call abeam wilderness AUK

At Wilderness

AUK: George Tower, AUK abeam wilderness
George Tower: AUK change frequency to 124.8 have a nice day, goodbye
AUK: AUK changing freq to 124.8, thank you, goodbye. (be nice :wink: 8) )
Greg Perkins
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:44 am

:oops: Me just last 3 alpha, but depends on who you talking to. Rand RVF is OK (assume they know me although I still get cleared for liftoff remain north of 29 - think it an R44 as opposed to RV4 cos of the Romeo start which in ZS domain is reserved for Woer Woers), but at FALA I am told they require ZU on initial contact....

Elsewhere when you speak to the controllers somewhere along the line they will ask you for the icao id of the aircraft which along with your reg gets logged. Never been required to give the ZU bit in SA. In neighbouring countries initial contact ZU-RVF, thereafter RVF, never used the ZVF :shock: but only been Bots, Zim & Lesotho...

Do yourself a favour, if gonna fly into controlled airspace find out what the Z (or X) code is for your aerie. Makes life easier for everybody.

:wink:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

UK calls

Postby ZULU1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:11 pm

They are G-XXXX and they call the last three letters.

eish ZULU1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
loansharkblv
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby loansharkblv » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:17 pm

Some guys/gals also add "Microlight" to the AUK
All TIBA's (in fact all calls) I make are Microlight BLV yada yada yada - Ensures that other metal out there knows that I am "low" and slow - works like a charm.
Bryan Nel
Kwelega - East London ( 124.8 )
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:53 am

RV4ker wrote:Do yourself a favour, if gonna fly into controlled airspace find out what the Z (or X) code is for your aerie. Makes life easier for everybody.
Gr8-Dad, the Z code for your Challenger is Z012.
Greg Perkins
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby GR8-DAD » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:01 am

Morpheus wrote:
RV4ker wrote:Do yourself a favour, if gonna fly into controlled airspace find out what the Z (or X) code is for your aerie. Makes life easier for everybody.
Gr8-Dad, the Z code for your Challenger is Z012.
See guys, I was talking no word of a lie :P :P

When in doubt - ask the friends on the forum :!:

:wink: :wink: 8)
Nooitgedacht: 124.8 Alt 1050 ft
S 32°16'49.8 E 18°53'33.0