The cost of filling up...

Matters of general interest
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Eish flying is gonna become expensive. R 11,23 from next week with the prospect of some more rises in April..

Filling up an Aquila - R 561,50

Filling up a Raptor - R 842,25

Filling up a Cobra - R 932,09

Fly downwind boys, fly downwind. And start using those thermals to get some free altitude.. puff
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Re: The cost of filling up...

Postby John.com » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Eish!!! (**)
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Yesshh.. Eishh.. And this is not the new levy (incidentally also 28c) This is the actual rise in the price. Come 1 April, the new levy of 28c kicks in which then takes us to R 11,56!! PLUS, the actual price may go up also!!

Lets see, from 01 April, barring MORE hikes in Brent Crude:

Aquilla - R 578
Raptor - R 867
Cobra - R 959,48.

I'll have to start driving less in order to foot the trike's fuel bill. Maybe I must go and live in my hangar. Or start brewing some moonshine in my yard and mix it 1:1 with the petrol. I bet the Rotax will love that! (^^) (^^)
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:27 pm

WIth the benefit of a company fuel card I must say that I am always a trifle embarrassed when someone asks me the fuel consumption of my car, which I REALLY don't know to any degree of accuracy - I know the tank now costs R850 to fill, and that's about as far as it goes!! :oops:

Now, if they asked my how many hours I could stay aloft in my aerie at 60KIAS I could provide them with VERY accurate data! :lol:

Priorities, right? :wink:
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 am

Arnt you guys glad we dont fly on Avgas :wink:

Daar kom nog groot kak.... With fuel going up and electricity doing the same, eveyone's gonna suffer. But Fly we WILL!!! 8)

...even if we have to eat peanut butter and bread the whole month (^^) For goodness sake let's just not take money out of the beer kitty! :)
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Hooray for the 503's :lol: ##

I burn 8l an hour... :lol:

Tip to save fuel:
Fly really high so you can glide the other half of the trip :lol:
Setup prop to work with bicycle paddles..so once you reach altitude,you can kill engine and start paddling ##

You will have the legs of Rambo after 6 months of that :mrgreen:

Have a lekka one :!:

(^^)
Rafs
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:33 pm

vhpy
I am amazed that some of our landsburgers have not yet come to the realization how easy it is to steal fuel from an aircraft parked in a hanger.
But check it out henceforth, it is going to start to happen.!!! (**) (**) (**)
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Nee man Blue max...moenie ideas in die diewe se kop sit nie :wink: (^^) ^
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 pm

I try and leave my plane with the minimum of fuel in the tank... also plan my routes as such. At most, not more than 20l left in the tank after I have flown... well at 18 litres an hour, it does get pricey.

I am amazed that there is sooo much fancy diesel technology out there and that one could really fly cheaply with stuff like bio-fuels but it really has not caught on. At Mossel Bay Airfield, there are 2 Toyota 2.0L turbo diesel powered Pietenpols that really fly on a whif. At one stage, Peter Funkt was using Smart engines with amazing results. Just a pity though that the installation is so extremely pricey!

Have to agree with Alan though, we shall find ways to fly...
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Amick
Signed up at flight school

Postby Amick » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:39 am

£1.44 per litre (about R17), not much better over here in the UK. Luckily with the rubbish weather we hardly ever get to fly. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Andrew Micklem
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:54 am

Ouch Amick... yes when you do a straight comparrison with elsewhere in the world it does not seem so bad :wink:

I have always wondered how things are in Europe...perhaps you have some time to elaborate? Great Brittain seems like one hell of a busy piece of airspace...How do the recreational pilots fit in to this. Do you all carry transponders? I feel here in SA we are trully blessed with an enviroment that really gives us an opportunity to fly with relative freedom. So many open (uncontrolled) airspaces, great weather (most of the time).

What's it like over there?

Regards,
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Postby John Young » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Blue Max wrote:I am amazed that some of our landsburgers have not yet come to the realization how easy it is to steal fuel from an aircraft parked in a hanger.
But check it out henceforth, it is going to start to happen.!!!
Correction Blue Max - it started long ago. At Empangeni while stealing fuel, one "landburger" used a match to check the fuel level. :shock:

Burnt down the hanger and several aircraft. sadly, he apparently survived the fire blast out of the filler. :shock:
John Boucher wrote:I try and leave my plane with the minimum of fuel in the tank...
JB - this is not recommended - I think you being tongue in cheek - I know that you know better. vhpy
Bundy wrote:Ouch Amick... yes when you do a straight comparison with elsewhere in the world it does not seem so bad.
Here $3.50 a gallon - about R6.20 a litre. :wink:

Regards
John
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
Amick
Signed up at flight school

Postby Amick » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi Bundy

I'm training at Plaistows in St Albans and it is a narrow corridor smack in between Heathrow, Luton and Stansted airspace (Coordinates: N5143650 W00022690 Elevation: 395ft AMSL), see http://www.exodusairsports.co.uk. This corridor carries most of the GA and microlight traffic from the Midlands around London and across the channel. It sounds quite hectic and there are quite a few aircraft in the air at one time, especially the two or three days with nice weather, but if you are aware and keep a good lookout it isn’t really a problem.
Most microlights don’t carry transponders unless they prefer transitioning through controlled airspace rather than around, usually a more direct route. Many European countries also require transponders now. When doing long water crossings or flying in the more desolate areas (yes, there are desolate areas here) pilot often like the comfort of being on radar some but the units are expensive.

Unfortunately our airfield falls within the Olympic exclusion zone so the only way you can fly during the Olympics (1 month, luckily reduced from the original 3 months) you need a transponder and a flight plan so I’ll either be grounded or have to trailer my trike to another airfield, assuming I have qualified :( .

The weather can be a pain, I had a lesson booked today but with a Low Pressure moving over we have wind, rain and probably snow later on :x :x . You can easily go a month without flying especially because I am at the solo stage the weather has to be very mild.

Still, one of the advantages here is loads of lovely farmers’ fields to land in in the case of emergency. I do watch the videos of flying back in SA and look at all the pics and ‘kry lekker lus’. I’m only sorry I didn’t get the opportunity to fly when we lived there.

Oh well, maybe one day.

Andrew Micklem
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:14 pm

Blue Max wrote:vhpy
I am amazed that some of our landsburgers have not yet come to the realization how easy it is to steal fuel from an aircraft parked in a hanger.
But check it out henceforth, it is going to start to happen.!!! (**) (**) (**)
Ek raak self lus om bietjie te gaan rondloer op Microland daar tussen die aeries wat nooit vlieg nie.....kan en pyp in die hand..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please guys - this is really only a joke! Ek sal nie julle petrol tef nie..of sal ek? :wink: :wink:
Last edited by Asterix on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Bundy wrote:Arnt you guys glad we dont fly on Avgas :wink:

Daar kom nog groot kak.... With fuel going up and electricity doing the same, eveyone's gonna suffer. But Fly we WILL!!! 8)

...even if we have to eat peanut butter and bread the whole month (^^) For goodness sake let's just not take money out of the beer kitty! :)
We will never take money out of the beer kitty - because then what are we going to do "when in doubt?" If we cut back on the beer, it may lead to a situation where there is no option but to go and fly, leading to dangerous flights!

(-) (^^) (-) (^^)