Mandatory Transponder requirement

Matters of general interest
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Mandatory Transponder requirement

Postby justin.schoeman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:16 am

Hi Zulu1. I assume the costs will not be much different to make Mode-S transponders? One of the points Rainier raised, was that if everybody was forced to use a transponder, large parts of Jhb specicial rules would rapidly become saturated, and ATNS would soon be forced to require us to install Mode-S transponders...
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:40 am

Well unsure of the unit costs, I think the test equipment will be the issue...most probably very similar with current digital equipment. Regarding many machines in a certain area, Rainier is very correct SSR will have a pack of bees and just imagine all the TCAS alarms. Whereas a Mode S speaks when spoken to.. I can confirm that transponder clutter does exist. Three trikes flying together need two switched off..Ballito is a class example.

What is so interesting is that the same scenario existed in 1940..IFF !

When is the meeting and where is to be held ? Maybe I should make an effort and go with MISASA as I speak with most experience in respect of Microlights and the installations. Mode C and Mode S
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:07 am

The meeting is tomorrow Paul.... please pm me your new number as the one I have says it doesn't exist anymore...

Will call you
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:43 am

Thanks MISASA, John & Justin & Mervyn. We are holding thumbs that AeCSA will be succesfull. If not, there will be many aircraft for sale.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Luan
First solo

Postby Luan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Good luck guys, your effort and time is much appreciated. Please keep us updated.
Dobbs
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:51 pm

All the best for the meeting. We need cool heads and well thought out technical arguments, ala Zulu1 and Ranier's post on Avcom.
BUKS VAN NIEKERK
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby BUKS VAN NIEKERK » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:01 am

Eish (**)

hope fully our guys are successful, otherwise circuit t & go is going to be the in thing (**) (**)
Regte manne skiet nie renosters om n horing te kry
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Just got back from the meeting...

Not much was actually discussed on the transponder issues. Kevin Storie covered most of the points in his opening statements, and ATNS pretty much said 'This must be referred to NASCOM', and shut down other discussions with similar responses.

The discussion on the 80nm CTA were very productive, and showed how much can be achieved when ATNS and the actual airspace users sit down together at the same table. Hopefully this model will persist, and there will be much more cooperation in the future...

I did have some rather interesting discussions after the meeting though. Two of the ATNS people said that Special Rules trumps general en-route provisions, and transponders are not required under the Jhb TMA. Unfortunately, two of their colleagues disagreed. The question has been referred to ATNS's compliance officer, so hopefully we will get an answer soon.

The other interesting chat I had was with Jeff ? (I will provide surname and exact position later - when I get the minutes) - one of the higher-ups at ATNS asked me why people did not want to install transponders. I explained that it was primarily a cost issue. When I explained to him that installing a transponder cost in the order of R25k - the same as the purchase price of an older trike, he was genuinely shocked. He had assumed that we could install second-hand transponders for R4-6k. I explained to him that the sheer size of the older transponders made them impossible to mount in many small aircraft. He said that he understood that it would just not be practical - hopefully he will add a voice on the side of alternate options at the next NASCOM meeting.

Let us see what happens...
Percy Smit
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Percy Smit » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:23 pm

(^^) (^^) (^^) Thank you for the feedback. Great job and on behalf of all trikers that cant afford this ... thank you SIR.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:54 pm

Indeed, thank you Justin for attending as well as all the others. (^^)

My thoughts are on AvCom... ^

Let's hope and pray sanity will prevail..... :roll:
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:05 pm

Bundy wrote:Indeed, thank you Justin for attending as well as all the others. (^^)

My thoughts are on AvCom... ^

Let's hope and pray sanity will prevail..... :roll:
Likewise, thanks Justin and others for attending (^^)

I also put my thoughts on AvCom. I think most are in agreement, but some are forgetting who this affects most!
Plane-less
Luan
First solo

Postby Luan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:41 pm

(^^) Thanks, gents!
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Nkwazi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:43 am

Feedback from yesterday's meeting.

Kevin Storie put a moer of a case forward for recreational aviation and should be commended for taking such a huge and unrelenting stance on behalf of Misasa and all the other sections of AeCSA. So below are some notes I took in the meeting.

Nascom ATNS meeting. 7/8/14

1. Proposed New JHB CTA is 80NM radius from ORT. Will look at keeping the 60NM areas in certain areas to accommodate different sections (gliders, paragliders, models) requirements.
2. Transponders required if aircraft is going to enter the airspace (11000ft to 14500ft) or operating within 2000ft below the airspace, ie. 9000ft - don't think this will affect us.
3. ATNS are being very flexible and accommodating Ito allocating airspace for gliders, paragliders. Prepared to negotiate on airspaces required.
4. All of this is pointless unless the transponder regulation is removed.
5. For now all aircraft under the CTR, TMA and CTA are illegal if not transponder equipped. The ENR 1.6 that made this law was simply pushed through. Kev Storie is adamant and confident that AeCSA will have this ENR reversed. After that no transponder needed unless you want to fly according to point 2
6. To make all of this go away we need to ensure that incursions into this airspace stop happening.
7. Buffer zones, transponders and alternate means of compliance (trackers) will be discussed in working groups going forward.
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks Gents. (^^) (^^)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
pit bull
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby pit bull » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:23 pm

DAG SE,

baie, baie dankie aan Justin & nkwazi vir jul terugvoer.

dankie ook aan almal wat die ''vergardering'' bygewoon het, julle kan julle self op-die-skouer-klop ##

ek is nie op die stadium in S-A nie, sou dit graag wou bygewoon . weer eens dankie aan almal wat dit ''namens-ons- wat-vlieg''' bygewoon het (^^)

groete aan almal

veilig vlieg

pit bull
Blessed By THE BEST.