Illegal flying / non licenced microlights

Matters of general interest
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Illegal flying / non licenced microlights

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 pm

Below on SA Micro. Am not sure I agree with the comments regarding the strip owner. Am I only one? Wouls like to hear comments. Strips are drying up fast and if owner is to become resp for ensuring aircraft legal they gonna close even faster... :?:

Hi Guys , I received an anonymous phone call this weekend re illegal flying
with an unregistered / unlicenced microlight at PineRock airfield .
I have spoken to the Relevant owner/s of the plane and suggested the
following on a previous occasion .
An immediate visit the CAA (Andre Swanepoel ) to sort out the paperwork
as well as the authority to fly - this was discussed yesterday once again.
Should these persons not comply , they will be dealt with by the full law
and CAA.
The owner of the airfield may find his field closed as he allowing this
unauthorised behaviour.
We are trying to promote safety as well as legal flying in South Africa
and do not want a repitition of the Hartswater saga where two accidents
have cost four lives in the past four years .
Both planes and pilots were unlicenced.
Brits airfield have two pilot s who have been spoken to an a few occasions
to get there planes and licences in order . The latter have not been
complied with as yet -
Please guys get your act together lets keep microlighting safe and legal
in South Africa
Should you have a "paper / licence problem , please feel free to contac me
and I will make contact with the relevant CAA persons to assist / address
your problem.
Kind regards Alex Rudd (Head of Safety MISASA)
PS
Have posted reply on SAMICO as follows;
Agree with the sentiments re the illegal flying with an unregistered / unlicensed aerie, but the owner/pilot is the accountable person, not the airfield owner. These guys (owner/pilots) will simply operate from a road or other piece of ground if the strip is shut down, given the fact that they have little regard for the “rules” while all others suffer (again) as a result with the closure of the field. At risk of being ostracized, I think the airfield owner should be kept out of the loop. If they are forced to police the aeries operating there they will simply shut the strips down (I would) or not let others use them. Most of the fields are used at own risk and are provided as service to the ML fraternity. Owners have ltd control and these fields are drying up fast. Read previous post(s) regarding private strip(s) which is being closed due to potential liability and owners not wanting the schlep factor. Closure of the strip is simply going to move the unregistered / unlicensed aerie elsewhere, but will not solve the problem.

2c

George

PS

If owner of strip is accountable would govt not accountable and have to shut down a road when an unregistered / unlicensed vehicle is caught for allowing them to use it? (Sounds sooo ridiculous when I read it, but possibly not a too dissimilar situation) :-)

PPS
What about provision of free access to CAA database to see status of aircraft reg via internet? Ie. Anyone can insert aircraft reg and the status regarding Auth to fly will be displayed, or is this confidential and if so why? Know it won’t happen overnight, but think it may have merit?
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:12 pm

One of the stealth fighter instructors told me the same thing on Saturday and he was also going to report them.
No radio,licence and lots more.

These are the guys having accidents and then the rest of the field are combed over with the same comb.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:31 pm

If the airstrip owner is AWARE of someone flying without a lic, then they gotta report it, otherwise they can be considered an accessory to the fact etc etc.

Think of a practical scenario at a private strip, owner invites microlighters to fly in for coffee and breakfast and so forth - how can they be expected to figure who is legit and who is not.

Charles Tiddy.
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:19 pm

Hi,

How can this be?
if owner is to become resp for ensuring aircraft legal
I know that the CAA conducts random checks at airports like Johannesburg International to ensure that operators and crewmembers are properly licensed. But never does the airport operator, ie. ACSA conduct inspections. I also doubt that they would know what to check for.

Regards,

Arnulf